Academy Days, Part I

Nine years after the Kyubi attack

Fortunately for Konoha and its inhabitants, the damage caused by the Uchiha Coup D'etat wasn't as severe as the one caused by the Kyubi, both in terms of human deaths and property destruction. In a few weeks, Konoha was functioning like normal, even if it's forces were considerably weaker. Still, Jiraiya made an effort to make the village look strong and did not stop or even slow down the flow of missions.

One of Konoha's institutions that was also back to normal was the Academy. It was the beginning or a new school year, and Jiraiya's educational reforms were starting to take effect. Namely, the fact that quite a few students, especially those born from civilian families, found the new Academy way too hard and moved to civilian schools.

Still, there were at least three new faces to replace some of the drop outs.

"Welcome back once again to the Academy, kids. At least, those who passed last years' exam. Before we begin, we have three new students that moved recently to Konoha. Why don't you introduce yourselves?"

The first one to take a step forward was a girl with shoulder-length red hair, red eyes, and glasses.

"Hello. My name is Karin Uzumaki. I haven't been much time in Konoha, but I like this place so far, and wish to be a ninja," Karin said.

"Hey, I'm an Uzumaki too!" Naruto exclaimed, waving his hand at her. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Naruto, please don't interrupt!" Iruka sternly chided. "You can talk with Karin later if you wish. Now, who wants to go next?"

This time, a girl with long, brown hair took a step forward.

"Hi everybody, my name is Tamaki. I used to live with my grandma on an abandoned city, but she thought it would be good for me to move here. I obviously want to be a ninja and, well... I love cats!"

Tamaki heard a dismissive snort in response. She didn't know where it came from, but many people realized it was Kiba, who looked at the girl with contempt.

Without waiting for Iruka to tell him anything, the last newcomer introduced himself.

"Hello. My name is Haku Yuki. I come from the Land of Water. People like me aren't well liked there, so I'm staying in Konoha until things get better," Yugao and Hayate had told him not to mention his relationship with Zabuza to people who didn't know about it already, at least for the time being. "You look like nice people, and I'm eager to meet all of you."

Shino raised his hand.

"Yes Shino?" Iruka asked.

"I wish to ask Haku-san something, if it's okay with that."

"Of course, I'm sure that Haku will be glad to answer any question you might have about him," still, Iruka looked at Haku for his approval. The kid silently nodded.

"Him?" repeated many voices in disbelief.

"My question does not pertain his gender," Shino clarified, before adjusting his shades. "You said that 'people like you' aren't welcome in the Land of Water. Does that mean that you have a Bloodline Limit?"

"Yes. I possess the Ice Release Bloodline," Haku replied in a neutral tone, used to mask his inner worry.

"But you don't have to worry. Here in Konoha nobody will hate you for having such abilities," Iruka reassured the girl-looking boy. "Now that you have introduced yourselves, go and take a seat."

Tamaki sat on an empty seat besides a bored Shikamaru. Haku took an empty seat in the first row. Karin was about to sit besides Naruto and Hinata, but something else caught her attention. Namely, Sasuke Uchiha's good looks. And fortunately for her, there was an empty spot besides him. Naruto's face dropped when Karin choose to sit with his rival instead of him, her family.