Facing a God

Nagi Island, Morning

"As I said, I've been thinking about what you told me. The threat of Akatsuki, and what should I do in order to avoid it," Utakata began.

Everybody listened to him intently. What he would say next would determine if the mission could end here and there and finally take the jinchuriki to a safe place, or if the Kiri and Konoha ninja would have to subdue him by force.

"At first, I thought that if I did what I've been doing this past years, moving from one place to another and never staying in the same place for long, I'd be able to evade the Akatsuki," Utakata stated. "However, you finding me is evidence that such plan isn't going to work. I also thought that, in the case they got me, I could defend myself from whoever they send to capture me. But again, the fact that Akatsuki captured other jinchuriki already also means that it'd be foolish if I was so overconfident."

Both Miyaki and Suigetsu looked hopeful.

"Does that mean...?" Miyake began, almost holding her breath.

"Yes. I decide to let myself to be taken into the Great Villages' custody," Utaka finished.

Everybody cheered upon hearing the jinchuriki's response, Hotaru included, much to Utakata's surprise, who raised an eyebrow at this. He cleared his throat to indicate that he wasn't finished.

"However, I do have a condition," Utakata stated.

The cheering abruptly stopped, and the mood died down. Miyaki, however, kept a positive attitude.

"Whatever it is, Utakata-san, I'm sure we can provide it," she said in a conciliatory tone. "As long as it's something reasonable, that's it. So, what do you want for Kiri to offer you?"

"I want nothing from Kiri," Utakata stated, his voice laced with some venom. "I don't want to return to that place. You told me that I was able to go to any of the Great Villages, right? In that case, I want to go to Konoha. That's my request."

"Really? That's awesome!" Naruto cheered, pumping a fist in the air.

"May I ask why do you wish to come to our village, Utakata-san?" Hinata asked. "Don't you prefer to return to your own home?"

"Not that we won't welcome you," Haku helpfully added.

"If you need to know my reasons, well, the first one is that I have way too many painful memories attached to Kirigakure, and I do not wish to return there. Second, Konoha already houses two jinchuriki, as far as you told me," the brown haired man looked at Naruto. "The only jinchuriki I ever met was Yagura, and he wasn't a very pleasant man. Now that I have this opportunity, I wish to know both you and the other jinchuriki better. And third, of all the available options, Konoha seems to be the safest." Utakata then looked at Haku. "And from what you told me, I won't be the first Land of Water native to move there."

"You're not going to regret it, I can assure you that," Haku replied while nodding.

"Then it's settled! Utakata and Hotaru will move to Konoha!" Naruto shouted, as excited as a little boy with a new toy.

"Hey, I said that I'd be there as long as the Akatsuki threat persists. Once this is over, I'll go back to the road," Utakata interjected.

"Fair enough. But I wouldn't be surprised if you changed your mind over your stay there," Haku added, smiling a little.

"I also want to state that I don't plan to become a Konoha ninja nor do missions for your village. That part of my life is already over," Utakata firmly stated.

"Don't worry. Nobody will force you to do anything you don't want to," Naruto assured him, before he shot his fellow jinchuriki a foxy grin. "Not that I won't try to change your mind."