Fight to become a Chunin, Part IV

Stadium's Infirmary

After being taken away from the arena floor to the infirmary, Hinata had remained awake, even if just barely. The stadium's medic-nin did as good as expected in healing all her injuries. Her body was still sore and exhausted, but she now felt much better.

"Alright, that would be all," the medic-nin, an old man with grey hair and a mustache, stated as he finished healing her.

"Thank you, medic-san," Hinata would have bowed if she was able to.

"Now rest and try not to move much," the man then chuckled. "You know, given that you were at the receiving end of the Fourth's jutsu, I expected your injuries to be much worse. That rotation technique you used to withstand it is truly impressive."

"The Rasengan was created by the Fourth?" Hinata asked in shock. She couldn't help but smile in pride knowing that she pushed Naruto so much to make him resort to his trump card, as well as feel admiration for her crush to master a jutsu so advanced. "Naruto-kun is truly something else."

"Indeed," the medic-nin agreed. "I'm sure he will win the tournament and earn a promotion, but those who managed to do well against him might be worth considering as well."

"Ahem," somebody said behind them.

The medic turned around to see the Hyuga clan matriarch, Hikari, standing in front of them.

"Thank you for healing my daughter, medic-san. If you are finished, may I talk with my daughter alone?" Hikari requested.

"Of course, Hyuga-san," the medic replied, before leaving. "If you need anything else, call me or any of the other medics."

"We will, thank you again," Hikari politely replied. Once she was technically alone with her daughter –there were other Genin in nearby beds–, she sat on her daughter's bed, besides her. "How do you feel, Hinata?"

"Better," Hinata replied. She became a bit dour, and averted her gaze. "Sorry I lost. I know the clan had high hopes for me, and I disappointed them."

Hikari emphatically smiled, and placed a hand on Hinata's leg. "Don't be so harsh on yourself. Naruto-kun was a tough opponent to beat. I doubt that anybody would blame you for losing against him. In fact, you put up a very good fight."

"Thanks, mother," Hinata replied.

"In fact, I don't remember seeing you fighting as fiercely as you did just now," Hikari pointed out, drawing Hinata's attention. "Seeing your fight today reminded me of somebody."

"Really? Who?" Hinata asked, her curiosity peaked.

"Myself," was Hikari's response, shocking Hinata a bit. "It has been so long that I have forgotten but...seeing you fight down there made me remember how much I used to be like you."

Hinata couldn't believe what she was hearing. Hikari had always been her role model, her ideal of a perfect woman. Kind and caring, but strong and skilled. A perfect balance between gentleness and firmness Hinata always tried to emulate, but was unable to. If that was true...there might be hope for her as well.

"Our clan had always valued power, and strove to be recognized among Konoha's strongest. Like you, I was told that I was too kind and gentle for my own good. And I was also told that I wasn't worthy," Hikari recounted, bitterness lacing her words.

"Worthy of what?" Hinata asked.

"Of being your father's wife," Hikari replied. "Of course, the wife of the future Clan head had to be somebody strong and imposing, not a delicate wallflower like me. But I couldn't stop my heart from longing to be with him, just like yours probably does the same for Naruto-kun."