First C-Rank Mission, Part II: The Sound of Terror

Author's note: As we delve a little deeper into the arc, it's about time for Naruto, Hinata an Haku to face their first REAL enemies (those bandits were just a warm up). Also, some little foreshadowing of future events. Hope you enjoy:

The return of an old friend

When Team Kurenai arrived at Sawa Town, there was an atmosphere of grief, sorrow and fear impregnating the air. People barely talked to each other, minded their own bussiness and focused on the matter at hand. Most of them were on the edge, as if they were expecting Death itself to claim them or their loved ones at any moment. And given the situation they were in, such behavior was anything but unusual.

But now...it felt like a whole new place. People would often happily and loudly greet each other. Children freely played in the streets. The townspeople behaved in a much carefree way, as if a huge burden had been relieved from their backs. Hell, even the sun appeared to shine even brighter than it did before.

The three Genins were now in a small grass field close to a river. Hinata and Haku were sparring against a bunch of Naruto clones, while the real Naruto was reading a book on fuinjutsu. While he was progressing at a very slow pace, he was now capable of making his own explosive seals and storage seals of small capacity. Now he was trying for something a bit more advanced.

Elemental Seals

Description:

As their name suggest, these kind of seals are closely tied to elemental ninjutsu, and thus a great mastery of said art is a prerequisite before attempting to create these seals. These seals can be as simple as storing a quantity of an element on a tag or a scroll –especially useful for Water Release or Earth Release users– to crate a seal that will unleash a jutsu once activated.

Components:

1. In the center of the seal, a kanji of the element in question. Fire (火), Water (水), Wind (風), Earth (土) and Lightning (雷).

2. A standard containment matrix around it (see page 25 for reference).

3. A standard chakra filter (see page 31 for reference).

The central kanji must be infused with chakra of the selected element. The containment matrix, chakra filter and other additions can be infused with non-elemental chakra.

For instructions on how create more advanced elemental seals, please go to page 113.

Other Applications:

Elemental Seals can be also carved into weapons to make it easier to channel elemental chakra into them. Containment matrix won't be necessary, since unlike paper, the sturdier material weapons are made of will be enough to contain the seal. Though adding a chakra filter is recommended in order to stop enemies from using your weapon against you. It's also-

The experience from Naruto's clones upon being destroyed flowing through his mind snapped him from his book. He lifted his eyes from the book, and looked at both his teammates, who were looking at him expectantly.

"Already? Wow, you guys are good! They didn't last even five minutes!" Naruto then got up, and made a hand seal. Six clones popped besides him. "Maybe this will be a challenge worth your time!"

"Actually, I believe that the real Naruto joining the fight would be a better challenge, don't you think?" Haku suggested.

"Are you sure you can handle the real me? Alright, don't say I didn't warn you!" Naruto retorted as he walked towards Haku and Hinata, while a clone took his place studying fuinjutsu.