The Uchiha Coup, Part IV: Aftermath

Author's notes: And with this chapter, the Uchiha Coup Arc comes to an end. I'm glad that it's finally over, because this arc was way darker than the rest of the story, both the chapters preceding it and those who will follow it, and I'm not usually comfortable writing dark stuff, even if sometimes is neccessary.

See you at the bottom as usual. Enjoy the chapter.

The first law Jiraiya passed wasn't exactly well received, though then again, he already expected that reaction. The Clan Discrimination Bill was a law that harshly punished those who attacked, discriminated or ostracized anybody for belonging to a certain clan. It was painfully obvious that, even if it affected all clans, the point of this law was to protect the last three remaining Uchihas from the wrath of the rest of Konoha, particularly of those who lost somebody during the failed coup d'etat.

In fact, once the news that Itachi, Shisui and Sasuke were still alive, a mob formed headed to the Uchiha Compound (where the three of them were at the moment), ready to kill them, and eradicate the threat of the "Red Eyed Demons". Fortunately, the ANBU acted quickly and dispersed the mob before they could cause any harm. Jiraiya couldn't help but think that if it wasn't for Tsunade and him, similar mobs would have formed to kill Naruto. Maybe that was the reason as for why Sarutobi wanted to enact a law to stop people from even mentioning the Kyubi.

Jiraiya had a meeting with the two older Uchihas in order to discuss the future of the clan, which turned out more...interesting than he had anticipated. Shisui told him about his failed role in stopping the coup, and how Danzo had stolen his eye in order to obtain its brainwashing powers. But even after Jiraiya ordered Danzo's installations to be searched, he never found the eye. Naturally, Danzo dnied everything.

Given that Danzo has been very vocal about how they shouldn't trust the Uchihas, people weren't exactly pleased either with Jiraiya siding with the latter over the former.

Jiraiya appointed Shisui, being the older at twenty two, the new head of the Uchiha Clan. His first action was, as expected, to rescind Fugaku's banishment of Itachi. Shisui also handled most of the Uchiha Clan's properties to Konoha –including the entire Uchiha Compound– as a compensation for the coup, while in turn asked for a new house for them to live. Jiraiya bought them a four room penthouse near the southern gate. They moved there as soon as possible, since Shisui liked to see their new home as the symbol of a new beginning for the Uchiha.

Still, everything was far from perfect for the remaining Uchihas, especially the youngest one.

"Sasuke?" Itachi asked, not daring to enter his brother's room, despite the door being open. Sasuke's room, while big, only had a bed, a closet and a small bedside table. Sasuke was sitting on his bed, looking at the window. "I was wondering...would you like to go training with me?"

In the past, Sasuke would have jumped in joy whenever Itachi mentioned training together. But now, he hardly reacted.

"I see, you're not in the mood...so I saw that we have almost no food yet. Wanna go to eat out, the three of us together?"

Once again, it was as if Sasuke didn't even hear him. Despite wanting to get Sasuke to open up to him, Itachi took the hint and decided to leave.

"Well...if you ever want to talk to me about anything...just tell me, okay?" Itachi pleaded, hoping for an answer that never came.

Itachi left Sasuke's room, and were to the living room, which was rather big, but looked empty due to its bare furniture. At the very least, it had a couple of couches, one of them being occupied by Shisui.

"So, how did it go? Any progress?" the one-eyed Uchiha asked.

"No, still the same. But I can't blame him. How do you react when your older brother kills your father and half your clan?"