Mists of the Past

Training Ground 21

When they traveled together, Zabuza had Haku woke up before sunrise so the two of them could have a good training session before they moved onto other matters. Such habit didn't change since they were forced to live in Konoha.

They were practicing some water jutsu at the edge of a lake before the Jonin decided to stop and rest for some time. Zabuza also decided to ask his protégé a few questions.

"You've been Chunin for quite some time now. How do you find the higher rank missions you're getting?" Zabuza asked.

Haku simply shrugged. "Not that difficult from the missions I did as a Genin, truth be told. Many missions ended up being way more dangerous than we believed. But in the end, I think it was for the better. I wouldn't be as strong as I am now if it wasn't for that."

"Indeed. You survived, and that meant that you were strong enough to deserve to continue living," Zabuza stated. "All you need is a little more experience before you can be of real help in my endeavor."

"How long until we can leave Konoha?" Haku asked.

"Given how long I've been here, I'd say it can't be longer than a couple years," Zabuza wondered, as he thought about it. "My track record is pretty much flawless. So flawless that I think Jiraiya doesn't want to let me go. But so far, he has proven to be a man of his word, and I trust he'll honor his end of our bargain."

"If Naruto-kun is anything to go by, I can say that the Hokage is the same as him," Haku agreed.

There was something about Haku, however, that didn't go unnoticed by Zabuza.

"You surprise me, Haku. I wasn't expecting you to be so eager to leave Konoha. You have friends and even a girlfriend here. Would you ditch them for me?" the swordsman skeptically asked.

"You know my answer. My loyalty will always lay with you, Zabuza-sama. If you didn't take me in, I would be dead right now. I have a debt I will never be able to repay," Haku replied.

While such a statement would make Zabuza feel proud and satisfied in the past, it made him feel rather conflicted. On one side, he didn't want to lose Haku, since he was a useful asset. On the other hand, he did care for the boy, regardless how much he wanted to deny it, and the idea of forcing Haku to abandon the life he had built here made him feel uneasy.

However, before the former Kiri ninja had more time to ponder on his conflicted feelings, a lizard-masked ANBU appeared behind them.

"Zabuza, Haku. Your immediate presence is required by the Hokage. He's waiting for you in the Hokage Tower's Council Room," the ANBU stated in a cold and neutral tone before vanishing.

"Alright then, let's see why he wants to see us," Zabuza said as he and Haku headed back to the village.

...

Upon arriving to the Hokage Tower, the two Land of Water natives were greeted by an unsettling sight. Several Kiri ninja were in front of the Tower, being watched over by several Konoha ninja. Needless to say, this didn't bode well for the duo.

"Zabuza-sama, I have a bad feeling about this," Haku whispered to his master. "What should we do?"

"For the time being, let's play nice, and do what we're told to do. I don't think Jiraiya plans to hand us to Yagura like that," Zabuza reassured him.

"And if you're wrong?"

"Then prepare to fight like you never did," Zabuza grimly replied.

While they were restless on the inside, Zabuza and Haku entered the tower as if nothing weird happened. They reached the Council Room, where two ANBU stood guard, and opened the doors for them. What awaited for them there was certainly surprising.