62nd Chapter

The chief gatekeeper brought Rana to Suleyman's chambers. I was afraid of what would happen next, because Suleyman was very aggressive. In the few years I’ve been at the Palace, I’ve never seen him so angry. No matter how much trouble he had with Hurrem, Nurban, Selim, Rustem, he had never been so angry in his life. Probably because he knew he was old and approaching his death. He knew that no one would listen to his provisions so much anymore, and he knew he had to be afraid of being fired prematurely.

The thing I feared more than anything was that Rana would manage to convince the Sultan of his story. I feared for the life of my husband Bayezid. I feared what would happen if Suleyman believed that Bayezid had his hands in his intentions to overthrow him from the throne. For it was true that Bayezid wanted it too, but Rana wanted it to put her son on the throne.

Rana went inside and bowed to the Sultan. She measured me and Bayezid out of the corner of her eye. She looked confused because she obviously had no idea what was going to happen next. She obviously did not know that I had heard her talking to Mehmed Pasha.

There was an awkward silence before anyone started talking. Suleyman's face was red with rage at everything he heard. Rana stood still not knowing what was happening then.

- How do you intend to justify your actions after everything I’ve heard? How does it even occur to you to think of such crazy ideas? How dare you? - Suleyman said and looked at Rana, who was shaking with fear.

- I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're talking about, Your Majesty. - Rana told him sounding convincing. It was better for her to pretend to know nothing, but that would only get me and Bayezid in trouble.

- You know very well what I'm talking about, about how you want to dethrone me and install Bayezid, and then install your son? About what you talked to Mehmed Pasha. - Suleyman said angrily to Rani. His face was red with rage and he was breathing hard all the time.

- That was never my intention, Your Majesty. If you don't believe me, you can ask Mehmed Pasha who is in front of the door. We have done everything we can to prevent Bayezid and Aslihan from intending to overthrow you. The two of them are eager for power, and as Aslihan never loved me, she used this against me. - Rana said in a sad voice to Suleyman, and turned to me, looking at me proudly.

- How can you lie and accuse us even in these difficult situations? After hearing everything you said you would do to my son Murad, you start accusing me and Bayezid

- How can you lie and accuse us even in these difficult situations? After hearing everything you said you would do to my son Murad, you start accusing me and Bayezid. You liar! - I told her angrily because I couldn’t calm down from it. The worst thing was that she sounded very convincing and I could see that the Sultan was not so angry at her.

- Aslihan, shut up. No one allowed you to talk and get involved in this. Keep your curses to yourself. - Suleyman yelled at me so angrily that I was scared at that moment. I couldn’t believe he believed Rana after all, and not to me.

- If you don't believe me, Your Majesty, call Mehmed Pasha which is standing in front of the door. He has a lot more to tell you than I do. - Rana said proudly to the Sultan. The Sultan signaled to the door guard to let Mehmed Pasha enter the chambers.

After bowing to the Sultan, he weighed me and Bayezid proudly and laughed wickedly. He was one of the viziers who had always supported Prince Selim, so it does not surprise me that he has now turned against Bayezid again. The worst thing was that he was the Sultan's right hand he trusted the most.

- Majesty, I have something important to show you. - Mehmed Pasha said to the Sultan in a very serious tone. The Sultan nodded in confirmation.

Mehmed Pasha took out a letter which he handed over to the Sultan. At that moment, I felt as if a sword had cut me. I knew what it was. It was Lala's letter to Bayezid. I knew it was all over now.

- What is this? Suleyman asked Mehmed Pasha before he set out to read the letter.

- It is a letter that Lala sent to Prince Bayezid. In that letter, you will be able to clearly understand who acted against you, and that is Prince Bayezid. He intended to overthrow you. - Mehmed Pasha said that the Sultan was very upset.

He set out to read the letter and he was sweating with nervousness as he read that letter

He set out to read the letter and he was sweating with nervousness as he read that letter. Out of the corner of my eye, I looked at Bayezid, because I knew this might be the last time I would see him next to me.

Suleyman began to breathe heavily. He was all red with rage. He took the walking stick that stood next to his throne and stood up. He could barely stand on his feet. He looked so bad and sick, but at the same time he looked like he was ready to take the sword and kill us all.

- Bayezid, you know what punishment awaits you for this. - Suleyman said angrily walking towards Bayezid.

He walked so slowly, he could barely stand on his feet. Every step seemed to hurt him so much, but he had so much strength in him.

- Father, this is not true. I would never dethrone you. You know how much I love and respect you. He would never do this. - Bayezid told his father the Sultan. This was the first time I had heard fear in his voice. There were tears in his eyes.

- Here's your Lala's stamp, this isn't set up, and you know it yourself. How dare you even think something like that? Why are all my children like that. You all wanted to fire me. If I could have killed two sons already, then I can kill you. You will bear the punishment for your sins. - Suleyman shouted angrily at Bayezid.

- Majesty, how can you punish your only son who is left to you for something they did on purpose to him? Why would it be in his interest to overthrow you, when he knows he is the only possible heir to the throne

- Majesty, how can you punish your only son who is left to you for something they did on purpose to him? Why would it be in his interest to overthrow you, when he knows he is the only possible heir to the throne. Rana and Mehmed Pasha came up with this together to turn you against him, and put Rana's son on the throne, isn't that obvious? - I told it to Sultan even though I was afraid of him at this point.

But I knew one thing, that I had to defend Bayezid as much as possible. Yes, he is guilty because he talked to Lala about it, but here the guilt of Rana and Mehmed Pasha is even worse.

- With every word you make me punish you too. What does it matter that he is the only son? There are enough sons who can inherit the throne. For such betrayal is the death penalty. - Suleyman said angrily.

- Aghas, lock up Bayezid in the dungeon. He will receive his sentence tomorrow at noon.-  The Sultan told his aides who marched towards Bayezid and grabbed his hands, so that he could not escape them.