3rd Chapter

That night I came home happy. As soon as I got here, I lit the candles so our house would be lighted. I immediately set out to make hot soup so my sick father could eat it. I was very worried about him, because he was alone all day. But our neighbour Aybige brought him her lunch so he wouldn't be hungry.

- Nadia, daughter, how was business today? - My father asked me as he lay covered in bed. I brought him soup and let him eat out of bed.
- There was a Bey who bought an emerald necklace. He's a very rich man. He gave me a bag of gold coiins. - I told him with a smile. My father was worried.
- Daughter, you didn't accept that, did you? That's too much money. - my father said.
- Father, I didn't mean to, but he insisted. - I told him it calmed him down a little bit.

After my father ate the soup, I washed the dishes and went to lay on my bed. I tried to fell asleep because I had to go on market tommorow again, but I couldn't sleep. I only could think about Davut-bey in my head. I couldn't forget his beautiful eyes and him smiling beautifully to me. He was the most handsome man I have ever seen in my life. But I didn't want to let my emotions to keep on me. I knew I would never again see Davut. That's why I wanted to forgot him.

Tommorow in the morning, I wake up and it was dawn. I went to port and boarded on a little boat that would take me to another side of Istanbul where I had to sell jewerly.

I got there real fast. I spread a sheet on the stand that I put all the jewelry on. I was hoping to meet Davut again today. He was the only one in my mind. While all the traders were discussing the events, I was in my thoughts.

- Sultan's sons Selim and Bayezid are now in Istanbul. They will stay here for some time. - one trader told to another.
- Did you hear Selim poisoned Bayezid's children? - another one said.

I didn't know why they loved to gossip so much. Men always talked how women gossiped a lot, but those traders and merchants were even worser. They knew everything.

- Nadia Hatun, where is your father? - merchant which had a stand next to me asked me confusedly. I was the only woman among those merchants there.
- Father is sick, hopefully he will return next week. - I told them with a hope. I was scared for my father because he was old.

In that moment, a lot of people came to market. I could see they are all rich because they had their servants walk behind them.
- It is not nice to see woman selling things here, nobody will buy from you. - merchant next to me told me which made me really mad.

- You should look at your own buissnes instead of talking to me what is and what isnt good for me. - I told him furiously. I didn't get why they had to comment everything.

- Why shouldn't woman sell? - one of the rich men asked. He had ginger hair and it was really weird for me to see man with that hair here. Usually all the Turks had dark hair. This one looked like he doesn't belong here.

- Woman's place is in house to take care of children and family. Not on the streets. - merchant said to rich man.

Rich main came closer to my stand and looked at all the jewerly.
- This is very beautiful, do you make them? - he asked me smiling to me.
- No, my father does them. Its his hand-work. - I told him and smiled to him.

- He is very talented obviously. I want to buy all those ear rings. - he said to me which shocked me. I had a lot of ear rings standing there. I got a big box and putted them all there. I have never selled so much to a man.

- You must be buying it to a very special woman. - I said to him with a smile.
- Its for my wife, Nurbanu Sultan. - he said.
- Sultana? - I asked him confusedly.
- I am Prince Selim. - he said proudly and raised his head. Honestly, I would have been happier to see Davut for a moment than to have to talk here with Prince Selim.

- Your Majesty. - I said and bowed to him. He gave me bag of golden coins.
- Bless you, Prince. - I told him with a smile.

He measured me from head to toe.
- But the merchant is right, you shouldn't be here on the streets. You should be home. - Selim said to me changing from very nice person to very arrogant person in a time of a seconds. That behaviour shocked me, but I knew he was an alcoholic.
- Excuse me, but I dont think every woman has to be at home only. We should have more rights than to be threated like an objects. - I told him not caring if he is a Prince, he became really arrogant.

- You must know how to act, Hatun. I am not a merchant you can fight like that with, I am a prince. You know what are your rights. I can punish you at any moment for your behaviour. - he said while yelling at me.
- So you will punish me because I said women should have more rights? - I told him and I sounded like I am making fun of him.
- Know your place, or you will stay without everything that matters to you. - he told me arrogantly and left the market.

I have never seen more arrogant person than Şehzade Selim in my life. I have understood why nobody loved him. All mercahnts were shocked because of my behaviour towards Prince.

Everyone around me was gossiping me, but honestly that didn't hurt me. What could he do to me.

I was exhausted from listening all merchants talking about me that day. I couldn't wait until my shift is over so I could return to home. I was so bored and I was sitting on my chair.

At that moment, again some rich people came. They were turned to me with their backs so I couldn't see who they are. I saw them talking with a merchant.

- That hatun, Nadia, she fighted with Şehzade Selim today. Sehzade threatened her. - merchant told to that rich guy.
- Halil-agha, please find something better to talk about. I am tired of your gossips of me. - I yelled at that merchant, when rich man which was talking to him turned to me.

At that moment I stayed shocked. It was Davut-bey. I felt such a happines at that moment and I barely could hide it. Davut gave me a smile and walked towards me.

- Nadia, why were you fighting with Şehzade? - he asked me very curiously.
- Because he is very arrogant person and I had to do it. I see now why everybody hates him and support Şehzade Bayezid, even though I have never seen Bayezid in my life. - I told him.

- What if Bayezid is standing in front of you? - he asked me while being really serious.
- Oh, Davut-bey, dont make me laugh. - I told him and laughed. Why would I believe him he is a Prince? I felt this all was a joke.

- If you dont want to trust, okay. I wanted to see how are you today. - he told me and gave me a smile.
- I am fine, at least I sold something to Şehzade before he became very arrogant. - I told him and smiled.

He gave me a special smile at that moment.
- I've got something for you. - he said and took box which was in his kaftan. He opened it and there was a beautiful bracelet with emerald.
- It's for you. - he said and smiled to me.

- Bey, I can't accept that. That must be very expensive, no. - I told him trying not to accept his gift.
- Nadia, I insist. I bought this for you. I couldn't stop thinking about you. - he said to me with a smile.

I wanted so hardly not to take his gift, but he insisted on it several times. He got it from the box and putted it on my right hand. It looked so beautiful. It had emerald crystals on. I have never seen so expensive and more beautiful necklace.

- I will come again tommorow to meet you. - he said and left with a smile.

I knew it at this moment. I fell in love with Davut-bey. And I had hope he had emotions towards me. I never knew I could fell in love so easily.