5th Chapter

The next morning, I woke up early. It wasn't even dawn yet. Something cut me around my heart. I had a bad hunch about everything that made me wake up. I felt very scared when I woke up, i was struck by a bad feeling. It's like something bad happened. I sat on the bed confusedly. I approached the window from which I saw the Bosphorus covered in fog. In the middle of summer, there was a strong fog. Even though the sun hasn't even come out yet, I've seen it's going to be an ugly time today. Grey clouds smuded over the city. The wind was blowing hard, so I heard the Bosphorus waves banging on the walls.

I turned to my father, who was lying still, finally not coughing. I came closer to see if he had a fever. I touched his forehead and felt he was cold as ice. I put my hand on his neck and tried to find his pulse, but he wasn't there. My father left this world forever. He left me everything to worry about on my own. He left me alone with no one and no support. I felt like my heart was emptying. If there was nothing left in it. I sat and cried next to my father's lifeless body. I've never felt such sadness in my life. When I was just 16, I was left alone. I didn't have a mother, and now I don't have a father anymore. I'm left alone in a city where I have no one and nothing. Tears were streaming down my face. It was easier for me if I cried, because it would let go of my pain. But this is a pain that won't go away quickly. This is a pain that I will feel for the rest of my life.

I left the house right away to arrange my father's funeral. I gave a lot of money for his funeral. I wanted him to have a grave i could visit.

It's been three days since my father died. I did his funeral. But the pain didn't subside, it just grew. I haven't left the house in three days. I was sitting in a room by the stove and looking out of the window at the Bosphorus, which was terribly fussy. When I saw Bosphorus' restlessness, I felt like it symbolized my heart. I was restless, too. I had no will for anything.

At that moment, I just heard banging on the door. They were banging the door strongly. I was amazed because it's rare for anyone to knock on my door. I slowly walked up to the door and opened it. When I opened them in front of me, I saw Prince Selim with a dozen janissaries. I bowed to him out of courtesy, but I didn't know what he was doing outside my house.

- Aghas, take her. From now on, she belongs to a harem. Take her to the palace. - he ordered agam and gave me a mean smile. Two aghas came towards me and grabbed my hands, even though I resisted them as much as I could.

- I'm not a slave, you can't take me in a harem. - I yelled at him furiously. He looked at me mockingly and laughed at me viciously.
- It's your punishment for your treatment of me. - he said presumptuously. The Aghas threw me to get down on my knees in front of him. He put his hand on my chin and raised my face.
- I'm a prince, and I can do anything I want. I hope you're convinced now. - he said cheekily and pushed me away. I watched him full of rage.

I got out of the aghas hands, but every time I ripped out, they'd catch me. I was slapped a few times to calm down, but that didn't help me. I'm not going to calm down. I can't let Selim take me to the harem. Four of them had to drag me into a harem. I was led outside the grand palace where I was greeted in front by a man my height dressed in blue clothing and wearing a blue turban.

- Sumbul-aga, take this girl to the harem. - He told Selim that man. A man named Sumbul measured me from head to toe.
- Prince, you found a very nice slave. It'll be ideal for your harem. - Sumbul said, smiling at him.
- I'm not a slave. You brought me here for no reason. I can't be here. - I told an angry Selim who wouldn't even listen to me. He just signaled to Sumbul-aga to take me. Sumbul looked like a good man who played strictly. He tried to be strict when he was taking me in a harem, but I didn't listen to him.
- You're going to Hurem Sultana now. When you come into her chambers, you have to bow. Don't say anything until she lets you. - Sumbul told me.

I walked into the grandsuous edibles and bowed before I could even see where I had come from. Sumbul was standing next to me.
- Sultana, Prince Selim brought this slave girl into a harem. - Sumbul said, and he bowed to the Sultana.
- So, where are you from? What's your name? - she asked me. That's the first time I saw her, the famous Hurrem everyone's talking about. Sultana was more beautiful than they say. She had beautiful long red hair and beautiful blue eyes. I've never seen a more beautiful woman from her.

- Nadia, Sultana. I'm usually from Russia, but I've lived here for six years. - I said raising my head. Sumbul looked at me furiously when I raised my head, he couldn't believe I'd behave like that in front of the Sultan.

- Then how come you were brought here? Sumbul, what is this? - she asked Hurrem confused.
- I'm not a slave. I lived here with my father who was a merchant. Prince Selim ordered the janissaries to kidnap me even though he knew I wasn't a slave. - I said Hurrem boldly.

Next to Hurrem stood a young girl, apparently her daughter. It was Mihrimah Sultana, they called her princess of the sun and the moon. She was very much like her mother, the only difference in them was the color of their hair. While Hurrem was a redhead, Mihrimah was a brunette.

- How dare you talk like that? Of course you're a slave in this court. - Mihrimah told me very arrogantly
. - Excuse me, Sultana. But unless you solve this problem, I'm going to complain to Kadia (lawyer) . - I told them with a cheeky smile.

- Who do you think you are? - Mihrimah started yelling at me.
- Mihrimah, shut up. Nadia Hatun is right. If she's not a slave, she can only be in the harem by her own consent. If she goes to Kadia, Selim will have huge problems. - Hurrem said and smiled at me. Mihrimah looked at her mother in disappointment.

At that moment someone entered the chambers, I turned my head to see who it was, and I saw Bayezid. I saw on him that he was shocked when he saw me.
- Nadia Hatun, what are you doing here? - he asked me confusedly. I couldn't tell if he was confused by happiness or disappointment.

Hurrem looked at us both in a surprised way.
- Bayezid, your brother Selim brought her into his harem. But she claims she's not a slave. - Hurrem said looking at her son. She was surprised to see where did Bayezid knew me from.
- She won't be part of Selim's harem, Valide. She's not a slave. And it can't be part of a harem. And if she has to, she won't be part of his harem. - said Bayezid angry with his mother. I was left shocked by his reaction to his mother. His mood changed very quickly.

- Bayezid, what's that supposed to mean? - Hurrem asked and got up off the couch. She started walking closer to him. I felt uncomfortable in that moment. Mihrimah was checking me out the whole time.
- That's the woman I wanted to propose, Valide. But she's not a slave. She can't be part of a harem. - Bayezid started talking, but Hurrem stopped him.
- Bayezid. Stop doing stupid things. If your father hears about your ideas, you'll end up just like Mustafa. What kind of marriage are you thinking about? It's forbidden. - Hurrem yelled at him. Bayezid watched her furiously. Hurrem then turned to Sumbul-aga.

- Sumbul, take Nadia Hatun to her house. She doesn't have to stay in the harem, as she is not the slave. - Hurrem said, and she turned to me and put on a light smile. I bowed to her and smiled. When I went out, I looked at Bayezid one more time. We've looked at eachother.

I was leaving the palace. Sumbul escorted me to the carriage that was supposed to take me home. I sat in it, but halfway through, she stopped. I looked out the window to see what was going on when Bayezid went in. I watched him in a surprised way.
- What are you doing here? - I asked him confusedly.
- Nadia. forgive me. I'm sorry I lied to you. I shouldn't have done that. I can't let you be Selim's. - he said a little sad voice and looked at me. He was sitting across from me.
- I'm not going to be anybody's concubine, especially not Selim's. He kidnapped me. - I told him while I was looking at the floor.

- Nadia. I love you. I want to see you once more before I leave to Kütahya. After that I will never see you again. - he said to me in a sad tone.
I knew I shouldn't meet with him because various gossips will start, but I loved him. The fact that I will never see him again when he leaves to Kütahya was killing me. I had no heart for that. I've lost everything in my life, and I had to risk now.

- Come to me tommorow. - I told him with a smile and left a carriage when I came in front of my house. I was sure I did right decision. Only thing that stayed to me was love. And I can't ruin even love too. Maybe I was still disappointed in his lies, but that couldn't change my emotions towards him.