Chapter 24

Ting ! Ting ! Ting ! Ting !

Something hard is hitting the cell bars . Again it rings .

Ting ! Ting ! Ting ! Ting !

My eyes pop wide open , I stare at the metal gates . The warden from yesterday is standing there .

"You have a visitor." He says while opening the metal gates .

Who could that be ? Is Kimberly already here ? That cant be right , she's supposed to come here at the end of the month .

It should be important since it woke me up during my daytime nap . I follow mister four words to the visiting room or whatever.

I've been in this place for three weeks , counting tomorrow , it's a full month . I miss momma so much .

When the warden opens the door, I see someone I'd never expected to see here . This person has no business here .

I walk involuntarily towards the table , my butt mechanically sits down on it's own.  I can feel the tears prickling in my eyes .

"What do you want here Jason?" I ask through a throat that is clogged by the bile rising up .

"I came to see you. " he simply says .

It's been months since he'd spoken to me directly . His voice is completely different , it's not the loving one that I'd hear during the first months of our marriage or as pained as the day  of the incident , it just sounds distant .

"See me doing what?" I bite out . Tears at bay . When he doesn't answer , I continue .

"You came to see me rot in jail? To laugh in my face? Is that what you want to see?" I say , now full on shedding tears . This takes him by surprise , as he stays as quiet as the company on a Monday. 

"Isn't it enough that I'm here and she's sleeping in my bed?" I ask , barely a whisper my voice sounds .

"How'd you know?" He asks , taking the last bit of patience and calm I had left in me .

"Why?" I whisper . Afraid that he'll hear me and answer back the words that will turn me into the monster I am .

"I dont know." He says . Just like , that's all it took , a psychotic laugh escapes my throat .

"You dont know? You dont know! You ruined my life , my career and my relationship with my mother and all that I want from you , not money , not anything expensive , just a simple explanation and you dont know?" My voice has gone higher .

"Cassandra I didnt mean to..." he tries but I cut him off .

"You didnt mean to what? To hurt me? What did you intend to do? Make me happy? Is that what you thought ? Because you thought wrong ." I say tearing up again .

"Cassandra I swear to God ..." he tries again  but I stop him .

"Do not bring God into your bullshit." I warn .

"I meant every word I said when I made my vows I wont ever love any woman the way I do you ." He says .

"Jason we're married . You said those words at our wedding as a vow to me , if you really dont love any woman the way you me then what do you call what you have with Kayla?" I spit .

"That's different , it's a problem actually because I never vowed to be faithful , I vowed to love you and be with you , never said anything about faithfulness.  With Kayla that's just me having fun." He dare says .

"Is me being in here 'just you having fun' too? You're choosing fun over me , your wife?" I say elevating my voice .

"I didnt choose anything!" He also elevates his .