Chapter 51

Kim's  POV

Seeing Ace like that broke my heart. I know that it seemed out of line for me to place my hand on his thigh , but I was trying to calm him down .

And out of habit - from how I calm Dale down - I put my hand on his thigh.

I haven't slept since. The moment I hear Dale's alarm , I sprint out of bed and begin bathing.

After taking a bath, I make sure breakfast is ready for the kids and Dale and I walk to the company.

When I get there, there are only a few people,  like the other receptionist for the lower grounds and security guards.

I walk into the elevator and wait for it to ding. The higher it goes the more anxious I get.

I'm wondering if she has finally come to work maybe .

When it dings I peel my feet off the ground and further down the hall to the offices. Ace's office is empty ,so are all the other offices down this hallway.

I head behind the big mohagony table and I drop my purse on the floor in defeat .

Cassandra is my bestfriend,  I have no idea what I'd do without her .

I'm really worried about her and the baby . She is a strong woman but is she strong right now in her condition?

Soon people begin arriving , which is my cue to get to the ground floor to do my other job which is being the receptionist.

I work as the building receptionist- as in the first face you see when you walk in- and as the head receptionist.  I have two stations which is down here and up there with the bosses.

Kayla and Jason walk in , Kayla look very confident and happy , while Jason looks like he barely is alive .

I have a feeling that Kayla is the one that did it , but for the sake of my job, I hold my horses.

Soon her friend , Bailey walks in and the loom around the foyer , it take my everything not to tell them to get lost.

Then the shocker , Ace walks in . Completely distraut .

His hair looks as if he fell of the highest skyscraper, his suit is untidy and not tucked in well . And his face looks pained but also not in this world .

Unlike all those other time , he doesnt nod my way in greeting . He just walks right past and into the elevator .

His movements dont seem human at all , its as if someone is forcing him to walk .

The entire day,  I have the urge to check on him but I dont want to seem like I'm crossing a line .

During lunch , I see Kayla passing by .

"Hey." I say and she whips .

"Oh , it's you." She says . Looking bored.

"I know you did it." I say to her , she looks at me and furrow her eyebrows.

"Did what?" She asks , folding her arms over her chest.

"You kidnapped Cassiey Kayla!" I say a bit too loud.

"Do you have any evidence to back that accusation Kimberly?" She asks me pointing into my shoulder .

"I wouldnt go around doing that.  Go to the police and tell them you assumptions? They'll take you away . They'll take you to a mental institution,  away from your kids . Oh, your son and you little baby girl.

And they're going to take you away from Dale. Boring Dale , I had a great thought a few weeks ago .

That maybe if I gave him some of this pussy , then he'd stop being that boring . " She says getting right into my face .

"You better show some respect Kayla , I'm old enough to be your mother." I scold .

"And you think that's going to stop me? That is not going to stop me . What are they paying you?

The Bernetts,  what are they paying you for you to be their lapdog?" She asks .

"You keep running errands for Cassandra and last night , you were out late with Ace looking for her . It's kind of sad that you'll never be good enough to be one of them." She says smirking .

"What would you know about being enough? You think just because you bagged Jason , and now you're living this rich life that does not belong to you , that makes you think that you're enough?" I ask her , feeling fairly amused .

"I dont think I'm enough , I know I am." She says , pumping her chests out.

"How sad , well , I hate to be the one to break it to you - actually I don't , I'm enjoying it - but the only reason Jason is still with your stupid ass is because you remind him of Cassiey .

Yup , when Cassiey left him . She took every memory of hers from that house , you're the only living memory of her . That scar on your face , it reminds him of what she did to you.

If I were you little  girl , I'd be careful which tree I'm barking up to. Sometimes it might be poison Ivy. " I say then bump my shoulder against hers in the process of walking away from her

The rest of the day is a blur . I too cant focus and I constantly run to the office to answer the phone because Ace is completely out of it . Which reminds me.

"Cassandra Bernett's office,  she is currently not here but I can take a message ." I say into the phone.

"Hi , please inform Mrs Bernett about the up coming meeting about the Hawaii property.  " The man says into the phone.

"Yes I will do just that. Thank you for calling . Do enjoy the rest of your day." I say .

"Thank you,  same to you." He replies and the line goes off .

"Ace you cant come to work like this ." I say in the calmest voice I can master .

"Kim please , just let me do what makes me feel okay. I cant stay in that house alone , I'll think about her and then I'll go driving around instead of leaving it to the police ." He says , in a tired voice.

"Look ,if it makes you feel better.  Drive around looking for her , search warehouses,  abandoned buildings . Everywhere , you just can't come to work like this." I say to him and he nods . This is really heartbreaking.

"I think Kayla did it , I accused her and she didn't deny it . She told me that if I went to the police to give a back boneless accusation like that  , they'll send me to a mental hospital. I think she just gave herself away." I say to him .

"Thank you Kim , for everything ." He says then gets up .

He walks so slowly out of the office it hurts me too.

I walk back to my desk and plop down on the leather chair .

God if you're listening please save her for me , if not for me then for Ace and for her baby.

I know that you have not forsaken me , for you are a God that answers all prayer . The almighty messiah.  An awesome God.

Please hear my heart's desire and save Cassandra for me , Amen.

Author's note .

And how do you feel about that?😊

The first of Kim's POV . We're coming to an end pretty soon , and I cannot tell you how sad I am because I'll miss your comments 😭😭😭

I'll be sending shoutouts to everyone who has been there for the book since day one.  If I don't mention your name , dont feel offended sweet one . I want all of you to know that you are all appreciated because not only have you made a better author but you've also made Fate Has Other Plans  a better book😻💍

Vote , comment and recommend 🥰

Nic275 🧚‍♂️😻💍😚🤰