Chapter 12: Mission Assignment

"Are you certain of this?"

"Yes sir, whenever they used that power without summoning their eyes glowed silver." Harriet was standing straight as she spoke to Ironwood and Ozpin. "I know the stories of silver eyes and all that but only Rose has silver eyes."

"So we weren't the only ones who noticed that" said Weiss

"That raises a question then." Ironwood looked to Ozpin for a moment, the two seeming to think the same time. "What exactly are we dealing with?"

"My own knowledge on the nature of persona is limited. All I can say for sure is that each of the previous groups were headed by what is known as a wildcard, those wildcards could summon more than one but not at the same time." Ozpin brought his hands together as he thought it over. "Each of them had their eyes glow a different colour when utilizing their power. Orange, purple, violet, blue It's always just been the wildcard however."

"So that's what a wildcard is" said Jaune

"And apparently Ruby is one" said Blake

"Cool" said Ruby

"Sir, if I may interject?" The two nodded and Harriet continued on. "It was only ever when they used their power without summoning their persona."

"That offers us some theories at least." Ironwood looked at Ozpin, their thoughts both centered on two topics. The silver eyes and the maidens. "Was there anything else?"

"Just one thing, are you actually sending them to Errant Chasm?" She was met by silence. "Why?"

"Errant Chasm is the last resting place of the second most recent group and the only accessible point for any of the fours quests." Ozpin glanced down at the map. "I believe this mission is of the utmost importance."

"But sending them in alone?"

"Unfortunately we believe that the reason why they may succeed is their personas, which means any guide would only hinder them." Ironwood did not look happy as he spoke. "However, I can not send them on a suicide mission without at least preparing them. They will be going to weapons development for upgrades and spending a week in the training room to ensure they understand their weapons."

"Upgrades?" asked Blake

"Yup, and remember them, because they are some sweet upgrades" said Rex

"How can they make my baby better?" asked Ruby

"You'd be surprised" said Rex

"The least Atlas can do." Harriet turned on her heel and began to leave the room. She didn't really do friends but she had a soft spot for kids. "If they die out there I will tear the kingdom to the ground."

"I assure you Ms. Bree, I will be right beside you." Ozpin's cold glare almost made Harriet bolt at full speed.

"Scary Ozpin is scary" said Yang

"Agreed" said the rest of the theatre.

________________________________

Team RWBY stood in the mission hall. Today first year teams would be getting their first assignments, the posted missions went from mundane to active hunter duties. Things like shadowing police and escorting travelers all the way up to protecting towns and stalking grimm nests. Ruby scrolled through the missions while talking to her team.

"What about this one?" Ruby turned to let her team see the assignment.

"An Ursa nest in the southern borders of Vale?" Weiss frowned at the mission. "I don't see why not but Ursa just seems so..."