Chapter 23: War is just a game

"So if Salem is some grimm Queen what do we do? How do we stop her?" Ruby said. She took notice of how the others in the room seemed to grow uncomfortable at the question.

"We're unsure, Ozpin never seemed confident that we could stop her." Ironwood said. He looked to the ground for a moment in thought. "But he never let that stop him, never let it hold him back. At times it felt like he thought she was unstoppable and yet he poured everything into the war against her."

"That's inspiring." Blake said. The cat faunus glanced at her team."Believing he can't win and still fighting with everything he has? It almost sounds like-"

"Joker." Ruby muttered. She turned her head to the doorway to the room. "It sounds like Joker. He faced down god with his team, I doubt they really thought they'd win."

"That's true, but still, I love how they can say that and it makes sense" said Yang

"Even the most hopeless battle can be won." Yang said. She seemed to stand a little taller at the words, her team following suite. "So, what do we do? What's the plan?"

"First, we reestablish global communications." Ironwood touched a remote and a blueprint hoovered in the air. "We'll be building a communications array on Amity Coliseum and then we'll use the remaining Dust at the mine you recently purchased to launch the array into orbit, well out of Salem's reach."

"That's good and all but communications being down only makes things easier for her, not impossible." Ruby said. Her eyes trailing along the design and the calculations.

"What are you thinking Sugarcookie?" Weiss said, stepping over to stand next to Ruby.

'"Have you measured the output of the staff?" Ruby said. She was looking at the calculations again, running the numbers in her head. "If I'm reading this right, I'm more a mechanical engineer so I don't know, the Dust you want to use for the launch could be enough to keep Atlas stable for a month, with a couple extra weeks of power if it's rationed."

"That's a terrible-" Ironwood stopped mid word. "That, that could work. We could move the staff out of Salem's reach and remove all weaknesses in the communication array."

"Okay, that's clever, I don't really care if Ozpin want the relics in his reach, if they are, it means there in Salem's reach, and she could get them. This plan gets a relic out of Salem's hands, and since she seems to be going after relics, this would be a good way to stop her." said Jaune

"Anyone know what's going on?" Marrow said, leaning closer to his teammates.

"I believe Ruby Rose is indicating that we should launch Amity Coliseum with the staff of creation as its power source." Penny practically bounced on her heels. "With the added benefit that if we keep Atlas in the air Salem will not know we have done so."

"She may not know even if we land Atlas." Weiss said. She looked the numbers over quickly. "If Salem is unaware of what the relics do exactly she'd have no reason to suspect it was being used at all."

"Ozpin's plan is great but flawed. It's difficult and excessive but Salem can still get to the relics." Ruby said. "The only reason to keep them accessible is if he needs them for something."

"What could he need them for?" Blake said. She stepped over to the blueprint and looked over everyone in the room. "What's he hiding?"

"It doesn't matter." Ruby said. Her eyes stayed on the blueprint. "We fight for Remnant, not Ozpin."

"Agreed" said Teams RWBY and JNR

"I think general," Weiss began, looking to her team to see their determined looks. "That we accept your offer."