Chapter 17: Desert Heat

Weiss leaned back against the wall of the bullhead. She felt an odd sense of peace with where they were going, everyone there would hate her and yet it already felt more like home than Atlas. It was an odd feeling knowing she felt more at home among those who she had never met than her own family. Weiss paused and glanced to her team, her girlfriends and smiled, this was her real family now.

"Blake, how poorly would it go if I moved the SDC to Menagerie after this was all over?" Weiss laughed at the blank stare Blake fixed her with after that.

"Once upon a time, very bad, but now, it might actually be a good idea." said Blake

"I may be a little hasty in thinking this but very very bad." Blake looked at her after speaking. She seemed concerned. "Why would you want to though?"

"Menagerie feels more like home than Atlas." Weiss laughed. "Imagine that, a place I've never been feels more like home than where I grew up."

"Well, from what you've said Atlas sounds like a prison." Marigold called out from the front of the bullhead. "Menagerie is for all intents and purposes the exact opposite of Atlas."

"Cold in Atlas, hot in Menagerie. Full of old dickheaded elite in Atlas, none of that in Menagerie. Humans in Atlas, faunus in Menagerie." Ruby counted off on one hand. "And that's without factoring in the best part, we're there."

Everyone laughed at the alternate ruby's comments

"Maybe we'll live down here once this is all over." Yang said. Leaning back she laced her fingers together. "I mean what are they going to do? Tell Blake she can't have her girlfriends with her."

"And if they simply kick Blake out?" Weiss said.

"They won't, my father's the chief." Blake smiled. "Moving to Menagerie sounds nice although that's a little ways away."

"Not as far as you think" mutters Rex under his breath.

"Always need a plan for the future though right?" Yang smirked as she spoke. Conversation broke out amongst the group. Short and simple talks about Menagerie and the local businesses, things they could spend their summer vacation doing.

"There's not a lot there, no arcades or anything like that. We have an open air theater." Blake said. Her smile was clear to everyone as she discussed her home. "There's the pier and hunting ranges and the grimm aren't much of a problem. The guard may ask for our help though."

"I take it that not many hunters come here?" Weiss said. She turned to Ruby, their leader having been taught more about deployment then them.

"Menagerie only really has Kuo Kuana settlement wise, there are others but they're far smaller, places like Atlas and Vale have far better defenses but attract more grimm." Ruby said. She looked down at her scroll with a frown for a moment. "If I recall the only real threat is sea feilongs."

"We've got that covered." Yang said, laughter rang out amongst the group. Yang's own joining them. Marigold laughed alongside them and announced their imminent arrival. As Kuo Kuana came into view beneath them Blake felt herself growing more and more nervous.

"You okay Blake?" She looked up to find Yang looking at her with concern. Blake took a deep breath in, it'd been a while since she'd set foot within her own home and seen her family. There was an odd buildup of nervous excitement at the thought of being home.

"Just haven't seen my parents in a while." Blake smiled at them. "I have an idea for a date too so that may be involved." True but still a blatant lie.