Up to Something

Waking up in the morning you look over to see the spot next to you empty. You stretch and sit up because this is nothing new. Sam always likes to take his runs early in the morning. You laugh to yourself a little because you remember the days when he tried to get you to take an early morning run with him. How “disappointed” he was with every try but you’d just roll over and fall back asleep.

Your feet hit the ground and you begin your day. Moving around your place your routine is well on its way. You had the day off from work so you got to catch up on things. Actually getting to read emails and replying to friends and family with more care than a usual work day is allotted. You water the plants and fix yourself a delicious breakfast. Just as you take a bite the door swings open. A very sweaty and panting Sam comes in.

“Good run?”

He turns to you and removes the other ear bud, “wasn’t bad, just lonely.”

You point your food at him, “don’t give me that, you know I’m not a morning runner.”

“Maybe if someone was chasing you…”

You stare at that look he’s giving you, “you aren’t a threat so why would I run from you?”

He takes a couple steps closer, “how do you know I’m not a threat?”

You take another bite, “because I know you Sam. You wouldn’t be a threat to me.”

“You bet?” With one move he grabs the plate with the last bite on it and takes off.

“Not today!” You jump up and give chase.

He runs around the living room and you jump over the couch and spring up from the cushions to jump on his back. Knocking the plate from his hand you don’t see any food on it, “is it in your mouth” you accusingly yell at him. He can’t talk back because his mouth is full. You make your move when he gets close enough to the wall. You kick off from it and unbalance him, knocking him to the ground. He tries to crawl away but you are all over him. “Don’t choke,” you keep whispering to yourself as you turn him over. He smiles big and opens his mouth.

“Was it good?”

Those child like eyes look up at you and nods in approval.

“Come on,” you hit his arm playfully, “help me clean up.”

He reaches out and runs his fingers through your hair and around your ear. You look at him and there is a flash of when you first saw him. Nothing much has changed, just slightly longer hair but he’s still the same smart man. He pulls you down to his lips and just as you begin to close your eyes he smears the last bit of food on your face. You sit up in horror and all he is doing is laughing.

“Now… you die,” you pull out an old wrestling move and just as you are to land on him he moves. You hit the floor then spring back up after him.

Later that night you were at the store getting some food for dinner and lunches for work for the next few days. Once satisfied with your choices you pay and make your way home. Once you put stuff away and warm up the oven for dinner it hits you to run a quick load of work clothes. So grabbing up the dirty clothes you toss them in the washer and hit the button after putting the soap in. Then back to the kitchen to throw dinner in the oven.

Once its out you look at the clock, “he should be home by now.” Then the drier goes off so you get the clothes out and put them away. As you do you notice a little speck of glitter in a couple of spots. “I haven’t used glitter since I was in middle school,” you thought to yourself. Dusting them off you put them away and that’s when you hear the door open.