Baseball

You get out of your car from a familiar parking spot. You walk to the gates where you are greeted by the guards and ticket booth. They don’t need to see your name on the badge that hands by a lanyard from your neck because they know who you are. You smile and wave as you make your way through the crowd. Some people know who you are and others are just spectators.

“Hey Jerry! How are the kids?” You wave at an umpire as you make your way to a seat. He waves and yells back, “just fine, thank you.” You smile and look down at your seat before pressing down on the edge and sitting in it. Looking around you see several people came out for tonight’s game. You had one reason and one reason only for seeing the game and that was Sam Winchester.

“Hey y/n, is Sam ready for tonight’s game?” You turn and smile, “he’d better be!” You found it fine that the only reason that people knew you is because you were dating the best player on the field. That wasn’t your biased opinion either, it was everyone’s. Sam got here earlier so he could warm up with the other players. He usually brought drinks with him for his fellow team mates.

When game time was approaching and a hot dog later you watched as the teams came out to the field. You watched as number nine paraded his fine keister onto the field. He scanned the audience and blew a giant kiss, as he did before every game. You caught it and held it to your heart. His hair was getting long again as you can see the little curls peak out from under his cap.

“Please stand for the national anthem,” the announcer spoke and everyone stood. You saw a familiar looking singer stroll up to the microphone and her voice confirmed it, Christina Perri. Her voice cut through you as she sang and you fought back tears as you listened to her. You’ve never forgotten the sound of her voice when you and Sam were on your first date years ago. Her voice came through the radio and Sam pulled you into his arms as you gazed at the stars. And you couldn’t agree more, when you were in his arms, you were home.

Once the anthem was over and you wiped some tears away the umpire declared, “play ball!” Everyone cheered. I yelled more than I should have but it was a beautiful moment, on a beautiful day, about to watch my beautiful Sammy do what he does best. He took his place off first base as the batter took his place. Once the ball was hit towards him all he had to do was stretch his arm up and catch it. Most men would need to jump, but not Sam.

A few innings came and went and you left your seat only to use the restroom. You’d chat with a couple of other guards and a couple of fans wanted to know about Sam’s routine. How long he practices and such. They were always very nice but you always wanted to get back to your seat because you didn’t want to miss anything. He hit a homerun in the top of the fifth, “All right babe,” you stood up and yelled.

He ran the bases in double the time because of those long legs of his. His run was elegant and no matter how many times you’d seen it, it was majestic every time. As he hits home plate he flashed that smile that sent jolts to your heart. He just made his team, Saltgunners, up by two. With three outs, he takes the field again. Back beside first he stares down batter after batter.

When the seventh inning approaches the announcer indicates it is time for the stretch. So get up and move around. You have ten minutes to move around and sneak by to say hi to Sam. Making your way around to the gate before the locker rooms your stopped by Bobby. “Hey Bobby, can I sneak by to give him a good luck kiss?” He looks at you and looks around, “sure thing y/n.” You pat his arm, “you’re the best!” “Oh! Loved that marzipan recipe; couldn’t put the darn thing down.” “I’m glad you liked it!” You blow him a kiss, “see ya in a few.”

You make your way to the locker room door and give it your secret knock. Sam comes out a few seconds later and picks you up. “There she is!” He spins you around and your lips land on his. “My good luck charm,” he coos at you as he sets you down. “Feeling good? Because you look fantastic there on the field.” “I’m good,” he smiles, “feeling good and strong.” “Good because if you get tired…” He leans over and kisses you, “I know…take a break, I got it. You know it’s kinda sexy when you look out for me.”

After scrunching your face a little he cups your face and gives you another kiss, “you’d better get back to your seat.” You groan as he pushes you towards the gate. “Do I have to?” “Yes,” he groaned back to you. You drug your feet as you made your way back to the gate. You turn back to see him blow you a kiss and retreat behind the door. You make it back to the gate, “hey Bobby!”

“Get a kiss from Romeo?” “A good one!” He slides the gate open, “so you must be the reason Sam’s having his best year.” “Well I think he’s more dedicated, being his last year and all. He wants to leave with a bang.” Bobby smiles, “I bet that’s it.” He shuts the gate behind you and you continue to walk back to your seat. A couple more guys talk Sam’s stats with you and you kindly theorize with them. One wants to take a photo and you oblige.

Making your way back down to your seat and sitting down you look to the giant screen. The camera pans as the kiss cam has been activated. You ooh and aww over the embarrassed couples having to smooch in front of everyone. Then the board flashed and read there is a special announcement. You kind of rolled your eyes a little because it’s usually something really cheesy.

The camera moved several times through the crowd then you saw Scott, another player yell, “there she is!” The camera pointed at you and your face turned so red. You see Scotty climb to the top of the dugout and grabbing your hand he pulls you from your seat. “What are you doing?” He leans to your ear, “trust me, its all Sam’s idea.” As you both climb down, with more help from the dugout your feet land on the field. Looking across as you hear a microphone buzz and you see Sam. Scotty gives you a little push and your putting one foot in front of the other towards your favorite player.

“There’s my girl,” he puts his hand over his heart. When you stand in front of him he takes your hand. “I’ve been dating this wonderful lady for a long time now. She is the main reason I’m here and doing what I love to do. I don’t know what I’d ever do without her. She is my rock, my supporter and hopefully,” he gets down in one knee and pulls a box out of his pocket, “my wife.” He opens the small box and your hands move to your face. After you somewhat catch your breath you whisper to him, “yes.”

He raises the microphone to his lips, “they didn’t hear that.” “YES!” You cry out and he drops the mic to put your ring on. He picks you up and spins you around. As you cry you hear a familiar tune start to play: ‘I never thought that you would be the one to hold my heart/But you came around and you knocked me off the ground from the start/You put your arms around me/And I believe that it’s easier for you to let me go/You put your arms around me and I’m home.’

Tears roll down your cheeks and he holds you in his arms. “I love you so much baby.” “I love you to Sam.” When your feet are back on the ground you finally can hear the stadium roar in applause. He lifts his thumbs and wipes away your tears but it doesn’t help because new ones replace the ones he just wiped away. You put your hands on his and look into his eyes. Then you finally make out what the people were cheering, “kiss, kiss, kiss.”

You move your hands around the back of his neck and smile. “We better not disappoint our audience.” He smiles so big and those dimples show and you actually feel your heart skip a beat. “Y/N, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Waking up next to you every morning will make me the luckiest man alive.” You shed another tear as you pull him down to you. Your kiss is deep and this was the perfect moment.

You could no longer hear the audience, or the song, or the announcer overhead, it was just the two of you; frozen in time. You could hear his heartbeat, his steady unwavering heart and it was beating only for you. It was the best kiss you’ve had and as your lips parted and taking a breath you realized this was the first kiss as his fiancée and you liked it. You turned to face Christina and gave her a bow. With Sam still holding your hand he raised it high and brought more cheers from the stands.

He walked you back to the dugout and sat you on the bench, “now, I have a game to win for you.” True to his word those last two innings went by lightning fast. They won by five points. Still in his sweaty jersey he took your hand and pulled you back on the field. Scotty brought out a bottle and shaking it and popping out the cork sprayed you both with champagne. You both took a sip from the bottle and as Scotty walked away you wrapped your hands around Sam’s neck and you danced on the pitcher’s mound.

THE END