Chasing Cars Inspiration

You went into the room once more to check on him. It took you and your neighbor to pick him up and carry him into your small apartment. He was bloody and looked like he went twelve rounds with a mac truck. You leaned over him and put your hand up to his nose, he's still breathing. Last night you cleaned as much blood off him as you could and stitched up what you could.

Checking his bandages again you debate calling into work but as soon as you try they talk you into a half shift.

"Guess you won't move for another four hours." Changing you lock the front door and off to work. Three hours in Sam starts to open his eyes. Wincing at the pain through his body he looks around at the place he doesn't know. Moving to sit up he gets dizzy and falls back to the mattress. He stares at the ceiling for a while then you come in the front door. You rush around to get back into your comfy clothes then checked on him.

You saw his chest rise and fall. Pulling the sheet down to check on the scar across his chest and slowly peeling away the tape. Running your finger along your stitching, no infection so far and the redness is going away.

"Not bad work," you hear a low raw voice.

"Glad your awake."

"Where am I?"

"Kansas City, Missouri. I assume you're a hunter because there's no way your trying to sell me AVON products with that many scars. Unless the competition for customers has gotten physical."

"I take it you've ran into one of us before."

"A few years back but I just gave him some food. Wouldn't let me patch him up but I was only twelve at the time. I lived in another place and I caught him leaning against our fence. I talked to him, well whispered though the wooden panels when his stomach growled. So I made him a sandwich and a-"

"Bag of raisins because it was all you had."

You looked at him in shock. "How... how did you know that?"

"Because my dad told me that story."

"Your dad was John? I never thanked him."

Sam smiled, "he knew."

"Let me fix you something to eat, you must be starving."

"How long was I out?"

"One day," you yelled to him.

You fixed what little you had but he was grateful to have something in his stomach. He tried sitting up again and this time without getting dizzy. You helped him up, at first then he walked around. Getting him back to bed after he refused to do so saying he was fine, you talked him into more rest.

"You can hunt monsters tomorrow, just another night of restful sleep first."

You sat on the mattress next to him and talked until he fell asleep. It took a while and he patted the mattress and you slid down beside him. He kept talking even when his eyes were closed. You took his hand, "sorry to hear about your mom." But he didn't respond because he was asleep. You woke up in the morning with your arm across his chest and those dimples in your face.

"Morning."

You open your eyes, "oh sorry," you move off him.

"Your okay, I didn't want to wake you."

You felt a little flush in the face. "Sleep well?"

He nodded, "I did, thank you."

While he was in the shower you packed up some food and cleaned his clothes, most of the blood came out. Folding them you were about to pick them up and leave them outside the door for him when he came into the room wearing only a towel around his waist. He began chuckling and you looked at him confused. He reached across the counter and pushed your jaw back up.

"Oh," you uttered out. He smiled, grabbed the clothes and walked away. Once he got to the doorframe he wiggled his butt a little for you then closed the door. You laughed and went back to making sure he had everything he needed. He reemerged from the bathroom and his fresh smell quickly filled the room.

"How do you feel?"

He slings his jacket around and puts his other arm through it, "better."

"Good." He finished getting dressed and went to pick up his duffel. You couldn't look at him, saying bye was never your strongest point. Following him to the door you awkwardly nudge his shoulder, "don't be a stranger." He turns around and pulls you to him. Time moved so slowly as you memorized this moment., the crisp air that trickled in from the window, the street noise in the distance, but mostly his warmth.

When he let go he turned and left quickly. You looked away and closed the door. Hearing your phone go off you look for it. Listening for its location you find it in the bathroom. Opening the screen you see an unknown number but an interesting message.

"Next time I'll drop by without getting beat up first."

"Take care of yourself."

"You too but if I get hurt again I know a great nurse that can patch me up :)"

"Anytime."

You pressed your phone to your chest after you saved him to your contacts. "Sam," you breathlessly uttered out.

THE END