Phone message

(warning: sad) 

Sam sits at the table in the empty house. His phone between his fingers, he looks down at it. He takes a deep sigh and unlocks it. The bright screen lights up his face as he opens an app. seeing your name he pokes it and the message details fill the screen. With a quivering lip he pushes play and brings the phone to his ear.

"Hey Sam our fight we had this morning left me in a terrible mood at work. I rolled your words around in my head for a while. After I got mad I began to see your side as well. You know what? Its okay and I hate to admit you are a little right. Damn you... *little laugh* Well I'm heading home and just wanted to let you know that I love you with all my heart. I wish you would have picked up because I need to hear your voice but I'll get to in a bit. Oh is there anything special you want for dinner?"

His eyes begin to fill with tears again and he drops the phone on the table. His hands cover his face to muffle the sobs. The screen shows the message was left three months ago before it returns to dark. He didn't know that would be the last message you left. If he wasn't in the shower he would have answered and told you he loved you right back. Neither of you could foresee that drunk driver.