Old Man Sam

You come into this quaint little diner, you've been there a few times. It's a quiet little place that serves great food. Your friends are loud but they try to keep in down inside, you don't want the stares. Getting into a booth it isn't long until the waitress comes over to take everyone's order. After the menu is looked over and everyone gets their turn you glance up at an old man eating at the next table over.

His hair gray and crows feet more predominant. His hands shake a little as he stabs at his food. He seems to mumble a little and look at the chair opposite of him. Bringing the leafy greens to his lips his mouth opens wide and chomps down on them. The jacket that's draped on the back of his chair has seen better days, as does the faded plaid shirt he wears. Picking up his glass of water a bit of it spills down his front, "oh geez," he says loud enough for you and your friends to hear. They giggle and you shut them up quickly, "what if that was your grandfather? Would you laugh?"

Just then the food came and they carried on shoving their pie holes. You kept drifting back to the man at the table. He finished his food and left money on the table. Getting up he favored his right knee but stood tall. When he made his way for the door you got up and met him outside. "Sir?" He kept walking. "SIR?" He stopped and turned slightly you caught up and looked up at him. "Thank you," you said looking into his eyes. A smile came across his face, "for what?" You held out your hand, "everything." His eyes looked tired and you know he's seen some things. He bent over slightly taking your hand, "it was my pleasure." Shaking your hand you got a little choked up.

He dropped it and those gray locks danced in the wind as he made his way to his car. You turned to go back in the diner just as he opened the door to his car and it moaned from use. When you got back inside you rejoined your friends and their juvenile conversation. Picking up your fork you look at the hand the man held. Then you look up to see a big black car pull from a parking spot and shoot off down the road.