Selfie

Walking through the mall you didn't have any bags over your arm because you were more of a window shopper. Sighing as you walked because boredom has hit you so you stare into a window. Moving slightly you see a man in the reflection. Squinting a bit you make out more of his face then you freeze because you've seen that face before. Turning around you search for him and see his red plaid shirt. Taking off towards the middle of the floor your stopped by the glass divider of the second floor balcony.

Looking down at the escalators you see him. You want to yell his name but with the noise of the food court he's heading towards there is no chance he'll hear you. Moving through the sea of people you make your way to the escalators. Taking them like stairs you move to the bottom and take off for the food court. You knew you'd see him easy because he was at least a foot taller than everyone.

You see him a few feet away and pull out your phone. Turning your back you pose and make sure he's in the back. Clicking the button you lower and review the photo to see he moved at the time the shudder went off so he was blurry. "Damnit," you whisper to yourself. Moving to get him in the background once more you try to snap another shot. Looking at it and seeing it came out worse than the one before. Throwing your head up you didn't think you'd get the photo.

Seeing him sit down you think this is your last chance. Scoping out your vantage point after he sits you take the seat a couple of tables away. Fixing your hair and posing once more you snap a shot just as a person walks between the tables. Pressing some buttons you hope it took before they got in the way. When the photo finally comes up you nearly want to cry because that idiot between the tables blocked him. Setting down your phone and putting your head in your hands you take a deep breath.

A tapping on your shoulder brings your head out of your hands and you catch your breath as you look up. "Do you want to try again with that photo?" He smiles down at you and this doesn't help with the crying situation. "I uh... I wasn't..." He sits next to you, "a part of my job is to observe my surroundings and the first two times were cute but seeing how upset you are after that guy crossed. I had to come over." Speechless you pick up your phone and he throws his arm over your shoulders. Nearly shaking as you raise the phone you smile before hitting the shudder.

After it clicks he doesn't move his arm, "make sure it's okay." Pulling up the photo you show him and his smile fades, "I don't like my smile, redo." Your head's on cloud nine and there was no way it was coming back now as you pose for another photo. He leans his head in more till it grazes yours. "Ready, one, two, three..." Hitting the shudder one more time you smile. Recalling the photo back you look at it and nearly cry then show him. "Perfect," he turns to you, "I'd call that one a keeper."

Pushing the sleep button you look back at him, "thank you Sam." He stands up, "you are welcome. Have a nice day now." He gives you a little wave and you think I'll be having a great year now. You wave back and he goes back to eating his food. You shriek a little as you set it as your lock screen and message everyone you know. As you finished up with your last message you saw him cross in front of you and wave bye. You waved and mouthed, 'thanks again.' He put his hand over his heart and mouthed, 'no problem.' You watched the kindest and sweetest man walk away and the photo you'll cherish for the rest of your days.