Chapter Eight

Chapter eight|| Father-daughter time

" Daddy?"

Dad stood there holding a desert box. I hadn't seen him all day, apparently, he had gone to work first thing in the morning even though he had just got back from the Imperial Palace. I remember Dad coming into my room last night and doing something but I can't remember what it was. I was half asleep back then.

I run up to him and gave him a big hug. He picks with one hand the other holding the desert, dad is one of the strongest people in the Empire, if anything is this a piece of cake for him. Get it, because he's holding desert? No?... anyways...

" Hey, princess wanna have some cake with me?"  He holds up the desert box and I nod happily, wouldn't mind if I do.

He takes me inside and we sit with mum who was in her study. Mum starts to cut the cake into small pieces. The cake was Chocolate fudge coated in more chocolate and topped with strawberries. It looked so delicious.

In a matter of seconds, I had completely devoured my share. It was just so delicious I couldn't help it. Mum and dad laughed giving me some of their shares. God, I love them so much! I start to eat slowly this time taking my time to savour the taste, it truly tastes best this way.

When we're done mum and dad take me to my room they wouldn't leave until I was asleep so my initial response was to pretend I was.  Closing my eyes made me realise I was more tired than I thought I was.

My eyes, opened every now and then refusing to fall asleep. Why haven't they left yet? 

" Keep your schedule free tomorrow bumpkin," He says playing with my hair, " Because tomorrow it's just going to be me and you against the world!" He stood up and posed.

" Honey stop it!" mum playfully slaps him giggling to herself.

" I'm sorry. Anyways our Aleah needs her sleep." Mum and dad take turns kissing me on the forehead then leave the room turning off the light.

It was dark for a moment before I turned my night light on. I don't know about you, but I can never sleep without it on. At first, I just liked it on, but now it's become a habit. But I wonder what dad and I are going to do tomorrow? Archer? horseback riding?.... Or not...

I sit there looking at the painter who was carefully adding each detail to his canvas. I've been sitting down for at least 2 hours and my cheeks are numb from smiling, I swear they're about to fall off any time now.

This wasn't what I had thought in mind when dad said he wanted to spend time with me today. Mum had just gone to the Imperial palace to attend a banquet the Empress invited her to. Mum, Mrs Calamante and the Empress were quite the trio back then. 

Dad and the Emperor were quite close too, he was father's best man at mum and dad's wedding. Somehow this is actually a rather small world, everyone is connected one way or another. Well, I am presumably in a novel so...

" Done!" the painter announces and drops his brush softly onto his palette.

I immediately stopped smiling, any longer and I would be stuck smiling my whole life, and that isn't even an exaggeration like that was how painful and hard it was to stay in the position for such a long time.

After the painter left dad and I ate lunch, it was Macaroni and cheese but people call it Maese in this world. The author wasn't very creative I see. But it still tastes so good! Our family chief has got to be one of the best in the empire for sure. 

Dad had to leave for a little bit to answer a work call, I told him it was okay for him to go to work, I was fine by myself, I was a growing kid after all and he's experienced first hand just how much    ' I've ' changed. but he still insisted on spending the day with me.

After his call dad took me boating, it was our way of transportation to the next activity he had planned for us... I initially wanted to row the boat myself, but the oar was too heavy so dad did it instead, I watch as he struggles to row. Even dad has a hard time doing it.

He starts to tell me how mum and he went on a boat date with mum that ended in a capsized boat and almost drowning to death. It got me thinking about how I must have died drowning, however, I wasn't sad about it like most people would've been. I'm actually happy, well if I never died I would never be here.

" That was the same day I proposed to your mum, " Dad blushed thinking about it.

" I want a lavish proposal, so big the whole empire would know," I mumbled to myself, of course, non of that is going to happen since I'm already engaged to Noah. Well, the Empire already knows too.

" I see..." I look at dad surprised, did he hear me? " Sorry sweety I didn't quite get that, " Oh thank god!

" Oh, it was nothing daddy." 

After arriving at the spot we there was a picnic and food already laid out waiting for us. We ate and chatted, it was a great day but it was getting really dark soon. The river's stream had a stronger current so it was impossible for us to cross it, how were we going to get home.

That's when Christina came into view holding horses, I can't believe they had already thought of every possible situation. We ride back together, was Christian there the whole time though? It would have been embarrassing since dad mentioned a lot of embarrassing things.

As soon as we got back home dad went straight to work, so he must have been really busy but he spared time for me nonetheless. I helped Christian put the horses back in the stable, the horses we rode on were Byron and Rupert. Rupert was actually a girl but everyone thought she was a guy, a poor girl.

The next few days, father always came home just in time to eat dinner with me and mum and tucking me in after dinner suddenly became the norm. Jackson is having his summer vacation soon, so he's heading back home in a few days, mum told me he was bringing a friend along with him this time.

The maids started to clean and arrange the guest room for Jackson's friend and I immediately asked to help out. They didn't want me to help but I got the green light from mum, it's always good to make a good first impression.

The next day the house was in a panic due to Jackson's return,  is his friend really important? They never do this for papa. The maids help me get dressed, they apply my makeup and styled my hair lavishly. Something fishy is going on.

" The Young master is going to be here soon!" Bryan says outside my door.

" Yes, yes. I'll be down shortly Bryan!"

The maids quickly used makeup to cover the scar on my forehead. I seemed so different without it. With one last touch, I quickly headed down to greet Jackson who was going to arrive any time now.

A fancy carriage pulls up It was and Jackson pops up from inside, He jumps out and helps his friend out. Why does he seem so nervous, he holds his hand out and a petit lady comes out. Who is she, she wasn't in the novel.

Mum walks up to greet her whose arm was linked with Jackson's. That's not right, Jackson was supposed to be infatuated with Layla. So who is this girl?

" Leah!" Jackson calls me over, " Layla this my girlfriend Anna Southgate. "

To Be Continued