Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter thirty-eight|| The Emperor

I jolt up from my nightmare. My breathe was unsteady, my chest pumped up and down my heart continued to race. I look around the dimly lit room looking for something to calm me down.

A shirtless Noah sits up and rubs my back, his eyes were barely open and his hair was messy as he tried to calm me down. I don't remember my dream, only that it was something really sad. I had a bad feeling about something, a really bad feeling. Like something saddening was about to happen, but it's probably just the effects of having a bad dream

" are you okay?" He says with his husky morning voice. 

I nodded my head, calming down slightly. He gets up and only in his pants he walks the table and pours me a cup of water. He gives it to me to drink and I finish every last drop. He places the cup on the night stand before jumping back into bed with me.

He lays down and I follow him, he pulls me into his embrace my head on his chest his arms around my body giving me a feeling of reassurance and safety. He floods my head with soft kisses and finally I was able to calm down.

" What was your dream about?" He asked patted my shoulder softly.

" Hm, I don't remember it exactly. Just that it was sad and scary. "

I look up to see him staring at me longingly. It's times like this when I start realizing how lucky I am. He holds onto my chin lifting it up and giving me a quick kiss on the lips. I smile as his lips slowly leave mine. 

Noah went back to sleep very quickly while I stayed awake in his arms watching as light slowly peered through the windows. The sound of the birds chirping was music to my ears. I struggle out of Noah's embrace and changed into something light and yet appropriate enough. 

I walk out the hall and into the library. I sat at my corner and picked a book from a stacking pile on the ground. I continued to read for a while before a loud scream was heard in the hallway.

I quickly drop my book to see what it was, a maid was on her knees beside the Emperor who was laying on the ground in a pool of blood. I quickly run to Noah's study.

" N-Noah, The Emperor!!"

________

I sat on the chair watching Noah hold onto the Emperor's pale hands, thankfully the maid found him when he did. Who would have done such a thing, no one was around when it happened so the only suspect would have been the maid. She'd currently being interrogated in the dungeons.

Poor girl, the look on her face when she saw the bleeding Emperor. I don't think she did it, but there's no evidence to prove that.

I walk over to Noah and leaned on his shoulder, the Emperor looks peaceful for once. With his eyes closed and his slow breathing, it almost seems like he is dead.

Night fell quickly, I urged Noah to sleep. I asked a few nights to guard the door and inside too just incase someone sneaks in through the window. 

I tugged him under the blanket and pulled him into my arms, he clung around my waist like a helpless baby. All this time he had been comforting me, this time it's my turn. I felt him breathing in my chest soften, it looks like he's fallen asleep.

I played with his hair softly, " The Emperor is going to be okay," I whispered, " I'll make sure he is," 

This incident never occurred in the original, and because we found him outside the library the attacker would have came for me but the Emperor found them before they got to me. TO erase the evidence they must have tried to kill him.

I sighed, all this information is making my brain hurt like hell. I watch Noah as he slept soundly. If I am right, then the perpetrator would have been Layla. To pull something this big, she must be getting more desperate.

The door opens and Allen walks in, he had a frown on his face. Something must have happened. I softly pull Noah away from me and shifted off the bed.

I sat down on the couch where Aleen was siting, he poured me a glass of water. 

" So what bring you here this late?"

" You're no longer safe here," He states.

I sighed, I wasn't going to be safe anywhere as long as Layla is after me. 

" Layla is going to come after you, more aggressive than ever," I nodded, I figured. She went after the Emperor after all, " Look her soul is dying!" 

My eyes widened, she's dying? " How?!" I accidentally blurted out.

My eyes shoot to the bed and saw that Noah as still sleeping. I sighed of relief, thank goodness. I wouldn't want to wake him up from his sleep or have him hear this conversation, he'll worry too much if he did.

" Since she used some kind of forbidden magic to switch your souls, her soul has been tainted. There's always going to be a cost in dealing with those kind of magic, this cost just happens to be your life,"

" So in order for her soul to regain it's health she needs to kill me?" 

" Exactly! Which is why you aren't safe here."

" So why hasn't she used forbidden magic to kill me?"

" Simple, she'd be digging her own grave. Her soul is already unstable, she wouldn't be able to take it if she uses it again. Her body will just burn into ashes along with her soul."

I nodded, that does make sense. At least we know that.

" That's what brings me here. You are the daughter chosen by the gods, the safest place for you would be to stay at the Temple. Layla wouldn't be able to go near the temple, and then when her soul finally dies you can leave."

That did seem like the safest plan. But then what about Noah? I look towards him, he hates the temple; despises them even. It's not like I can ask him to come with me, he has a kingdom to run. 

However, I can't just leave him either. He needs me the most right now, physically and mentally. I gritted my teeth, I'm in a complete dilemma. 

" I... I won't go. I don't want to leave Noah,"

" Are you sure?'"

" Yeah. I'm staying here with him. I'm not leaving him."

TO BE CONTINUED