Chapter Forty-Six

Aleah's P.O.V:

I sit in my bed looking at the very laptop I bought myself on my birthday. On the screen was a countdown to the launching of the final book of a trilogy I've been reading. 

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

I quickly get my mouse to position on the preorder button. 

2

When the clock hit 7 pm I right-clicked the mouse pad multiple times. The screen suddenly changes and it says that I'm exactly the 1000th pre-order winner. I jump around on my bed almost knocking the laptop off the bed.

Gosh, just how lucky could I have been? There was a message on the screen asking me to pick it up at my nearest bookshop. I type in the address of the nearest book store and my credentials before heading to sleep.

The next day I go to pick it up. I just can't believe that I was lucky enough to receive this. I play with the book in my hands, showing it off. I can look at it all day. 

On my way back I'm on the sidewalk, beside me was a little drop into a river. I stop to look at it closer, why does it look really familiar. 

Suddenly, I hear a ringing of a bell and a guy shouting for me to get out of the way. I look in front of me to see a guy on a loose bike swearing towards me. He's brushing people around people just barely.

His eyes meet mine and he's urging me to get out the way. I'm trying to render what's going on. Only when he's a few meters away from doing I jump to the side. Unfortunately, I jump to the wrong side and my feet slip causing me to roll down and into the river.

I try to swim my way up but it was deeper than I thought it was. I desperately look around the river to look for the book. I see it sinking slowly deeper into the river. Gosh, just how deep in this river.

Quickly I'm losing air, and I need to swim back up but I will not until I get my book! I try to reach for the book and suddenly my head starts to pound. I start to get heavy-headed. I gasp from the pain letting out all the air I was saving up. This causes water to fill my lungs and I can't breathe.

I try desperately to swim back up, my adrenaline carrying me all the way but I had sunk to the point of no return. With no oxygen, I'm losing all the strength in my body.

My eyes start to close and just before it's shut I see a man jump into the water swimming towards me. I reach out my hand the same he does, but my eyes close and I lose consciousness.

I feel something pressing against my chest and a soft cushion on my lips. There was also something in my lungs begging to be released and I realize it was water. In a split second, I open my mouth and the water spills out. I quickly sit up gasping for air that was now available to me.

There was a man in front of me. It was the man on the bike, he was just as drenched in water as I was. he saved me. I lean over and gave him a big hug. I could have died. The thought of being on death's door scares me but the feeling of joy and thankfulness overpowered that feeling.

"Thank you, thank you so much!"

"No, I should thank you for being alive."

I back up from the hug to see people circled around us. They must have been witnesses of the scene. I look back into the river, which suddenly gave me chills. Then it hit me, my book!!

"What about my book. Did you save my book?"

"Your book? I didn't see a book sorry."

I sigh and fall onto the concrete. My limited edition reordered book, which was signed by the author themselves, is now gone. I want to cry, but there are still people around.

No, I shouldn't be sulking. I mean I just survived, a in a million book shouldn't mean anything at this point.

"Name?" I asked.

The guy also sits on the concrete exhausted, "Noah, Noah Salvatore. You?"

Again my head starts to pound and I'm feeling dizzy. Pictures flash into my mind, and I'm trying to make sense of it all against the pain. The river, the book, the bike, Noah. Then it hit me, I remember.

Noah 2.0 looks at me and smiles sullenly, " I miss you."

Suddenly the world around swirls before turning dark.

"I don't know what I'll do without you, Aleah." 

I felt someone touch my hand. I force my eyes to open, it was heavy and my body feels exhausted but I pry them open anyway. It was the real Noah, my Noah. I squeeze his hand tight and he instantly looks at me shocked. I give him a faint smile.

"I'm back."

To Be Continued