Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five|| Nightmare Flower pt 2

" Your Majesty!"

I hear Fernand calling out to me. His voice was excited but at the same time worrisome. I leave the river bed and quickly headed to Fernand eho was just just outside the forest. 

"What is..." I look at what he's so worried about," ...it."

My eyes widen. We found exactly what we were looking for. An abundant amount of them too. Possibly enough to harvest them and profit from them whilst having more than enough for Aleah. There was one problem though, an utterly terrifying problem. The flowers were located on a ledge approximately halfway from a 60 feet cliff.

There were 2 main problems. 1. How in the world was I supposed to climb up and. 2, How was I supposed to get down. I stare at the flowers leaning over one side, the winds must be strong up, considering how high it was.

There was no way I'd be able to get myself, and Fernand is a little on the older side, he could never support my weight. I look at the sky and noticed that the sun was about to set. It's too late to do anything today, and I told the others to be back by twilight. It will be a long way back in the dark if we don't leave now.

"Your Majesty-"

"I know Stephan!" I raised my voice. He flinches before nodding, " Let's go."

We head back to our horses. By the time we got back to the palace, everyone was already waiting in the conference room. Their heads look up at me from whatever they were doing.

"So... Nightmare flower?"

They all shook their heads. I was kind of hoping they were going to say yes, so we wouldn't need to get back to the Southern fields.  it's going to take a big effort to get those flowers from there.

"We didn't finish checking today, but-" I raised my hand to stop Rosiera.

"It's fine. There's no need." They look at me confused, " We found them. Stephen and I."

Their faces lit up from excitement but I quickly shut it down as fast I ignited it," But, it's somewhere that's almost impossible to get.

****

"Wow. Your Majesty was right, that's incredibly high."

We gather around at the bottom of the cliff, looking up at the flowers. They didn't believe me at first, they were so convinced they could get it. Now they're shocked and clueless.

We settle back to our horses to devise a plan, we somehow need to find a way up there and then back down. We could build our way up, but that would take too long. There's also the option of climbing up, with what is the problem.

" I'm thinking, we create a ladder long enough for us to reach the top," the palace technician suggested. I nodded, it would be the fastest route.

"Yeah, let's get to do-" a thin, female voice shouted cutting me off.

"Your Majesty, we don't need to make a ladder!"

We turn around to see Rosiera and Anna with a basket made of flax, in it was the nightmare flowers we were going to get. Jackson was quick to run over to Anna and take the basket off her.

"Anna, I told you to rest." 

"I'm fine Jackson. As you can see, a little too well."

His was hard. Nothing she was saying was getting to him. Never mind that I don't have time to focus on a lover's quarrel.

I went over to the girls and opened the basket inspecting the flowers. The flowers were purple, dark violet in the middle. They were actual nightmare flowers.

"But, how?"

"We climbed down from the top. Anna went down with a rope around her waist. We tied it around a rock while I still held onto the ends making sure it wasn't going to slip," Rosiera proudly lifted her head. Wow, I would have never thought of going for the top.

"Let's quickly go back and brew the cure."

****

We set back and watch as Allan pours a small bottle of purple liquid into Aleah's mouth. He sits her up slightly so she doesn't choke. Everyone was in the room. Christian, Jackson, Anna, Rosiera, and the Monroes. We all sit back and watch Allan do whatever he needed to do. 

He lays her back down and steps aside. A few minutes pass. Nothing. The room becomes silent, and worry consumes me. It suddenly hit me that Layla could have been lying. 

As my blood started to boil I turn to head towards Jackson who's playing impatiently with Anna's fingers. It pains me to think that it could have been me and Aleah right now. 

Trust

The word popped into my head. That's right, not all cures work instantly. All we need to do is wait, and if a few days pass and she's not woken up then I'll need to have a talk with Layla again. If I confront her now then I don't know what I'd do to her.

"Everyone, let's give the concoction a day or two to set in."

They nodded and silently, one by one they left the room. I stay behind and sat beside the bed. I held onto her cool, pale hands and watch as her fingertips glowed blue-ish. She's a little cold. I cup her hand in mine and brought my lips to her fingertips giving her the softest peck I could with all the sadness and love I could portray that small action. 

" I miss you."

To Be Continued