Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter forty-Three|| Never

I held Aleah's hand in mine and prayed to god -begged him- for her to wake up. It's been a week since she's been unconscious and with each day that passes the more anxious I get. There's no doubt I still have hope but the doubt is starting to slowly climb up my spine and into the back of my mind. 

It consumes me for some time and during that time I get paranoid. I'm not myself, and no one ceases to remind me.

Right now it's currently happening and I wish, I just wish her hand could squeeze mine just for a little bit. As evidence of hope because right now I'd take anything even just a fraction of a movement I'd take. I need someone to reassure me before I go ballistic.

At that same time, someone places a hand on my shoulder. I flinch from the suddenness I didn't even realize someone came in. I lift my hand from my hand to see who it was. 

" Duke Monroe!" I say startled by his presence, I wasn't expecting him to be here. 

Behind him was the Duchess who was crying into her handkerchief. I placed Aleah's hands back onto the bed softly and stood up. The Duke places his hand back onto my shoulder and nods.

I wasn't quite getting the message he was trying to signal to me. It way has been in the lines of, 'she'll wake up soon. Hell, the nod could have been to tell me to get the hell out of his sight. But whatever it was more made me was to curl into a ball and cry.

The past week I've been trying to be strong, but everything is starting to crumble on me. No one knows why Aleah's in a coma, there must have been contents in the smoke or something but when we tried to interrogate the culprit she was everything up but cooperative. 

It was killing me not to kill her on the spot. She deserves it for everything she's done to Aleah, however, I couldn't kill her. I couldn't even lay a finger on that wench. I'm scared that if she does die then I'll lose Aleah forever and I can't risk that.

" You need to rest, son." the Duchess comes to stand beside me and pats me on the head. 

Without saying anything I shook my head. I don't want to leave Aleah's side unless it's for something really important because even if the world was going to end I wasn't going to leave her side. 

"How's she?" 

The couple looks towards the bed. The Duchess suddenly broke and went over to the side of the bed and wept, I've never seen them so broken. I've never been so broken.

I felt everything they felt and more. I just wish I had the mental capacity to support them mentally. But, there's no way I could do that when I'm just barely keeping myself together.

I leave the room to give the Monroe's some privacy. It's the least I could do for them.

I close the door behind me and see Christian leaning against the wall. He was folding his arms with his eyes closed. He's sleeping while standing up?

"Christian!" I wake him up.

He slowly wakes up and realized it's me, "You're Majesty," he straightens his posture and bows, "Greeting to the Emperor."

I nod in response.

"Any news?"

He shakes his head I feel my stomach being tugged at," Then why are you here?"

"Was just wondering if you would like to have a drink with me and Sir Jackson."

"Sure."

Christian takes me to his accommodated room. We enter and I see Jackson already taking a few shots of whatever wine was on the table, it seems he couldn't wait.

He was leaning in the table looking disastrous, and here I thought I was looking hazardous. He lifts his head and sees us.

Quickly he straightens up but I dismiss him as I take a seat around the table.  Christian passes me a glass and I pour myself some booze, something strong. I couldn't be bothered checking its contents, I'll take whatever at this point.

One glass after another bottle starts to pile up on the ground yet our drinking session is near from over. My head felt heavy and lightheaded at the same time, and I could barely think straight.

In this vulnerable situation, I suddenly got the urge to check up on the two of them.

"How's Anna?" I asked Jackson.

Last I saw her she was in bed recuperating from her asthma attack. I heard she's out and about now, but Jackson won't let her get out too far. If she was Aleah I wouldn't either.

Gosh, now I'm back to thinking about her.

"She's alright. She wanted to visit Aleah but I said she could when she wakes up,  there's no way she could hold herself together looking at my sister in such a state. I can barely look at her like that, how could Anna? She's like a fragile duckling, and I love that duckling but sometimes you got to be a tyrant to keep them behaved."

Jackson started to blabber and suddenly he's off-topic talking about how much he wanted to visit the southern islands with Anna. He was clearly drunk, his cheeks were red, his eyes look drowsy, and the way he was speaking. It was so obvious he was at his limit.

"What about you Christian, how's Rosiera?"

"It's Sweetheart to you!" He shouts holding a bottle of wine.

He's out too. He takes a sip and some drip down from his chin and into his white shirt. That's not going to come out well.

"Anna, honey, is fine. She's... car-rrentlay having writer's Block, says she's got nothing. Nowt since she's been Wollying too much about Aleah."

I sigh and rolled my eyes. These guys are such light drinkers. I pick up a bottle and threw it onto the ground shattering it into pieces. One thing I did notice when they poke was that all their sentences were all about Aleah.

It's as if she's become such a major part of our lives, it's like she owns it. She definitely owns mine that's for sure.

 When she told me she was from another world, and that this world is simply in a novel, I took it so easily but deep down I was confused and scared. That my life was planned out the way someone else wanted it to. 

I don't think about it that way though, because, if it was planned then at least I was able to meet Aleah.  God, I love her, and I miss her, and ARGH why can't she just wake up already?