Chapter Sixteen

Your body was lifeless, being held up by Sam. A blood soaked scarf wrapped around your torso. Steve turned to look at you, frozen in shock. For about a minute, he just stared at Sam who was helping you. "Fucking do something," Bucky said, his voice raised, "She's gonna die, we have to do something,"

Steve rushed to help you, as did Bucky and Tony. You had a low heart rate and the colour was slowly dying from your face. Sam kept a tight grip on you, as Tony called Bruce up to the lab, as you were rushed up there.

The bullet had gone straight through your side, leaving an entrance and exit wound. Bruce was checking you over, after putting you under anesthesia. Once he had repaired any immediate damage they would take you up to the hospital. Steve was holding your hand, as Bucky paced up and down the room. "Either get out or stand still," said Tony, as he helped Bruce. "And Steve get out of my way,"

Both Steve and Bucky sulked out of the room, and stood by the glass doors. Tony glared at them before tinting them so they couldn't see inside. If Bruce was going to try and save you then he didn't need both of them watching. Bucky cleared his throat, it felt awkward between him and Steve now he was dating you, and the fact that he also still liked you. As much as he hated that fact. "I'm sorry man," said Bucky, "She'll make it through, you guys will be okay," he internally cringed at his words, leaning his head against the wall. All he could think about what he would do without you. Of course, he liked teasing you, but he wanted to be with you. And he wanted to tell you that, but then you ended up with Steve. Who was standing here freaking out over you. He just couldn't lose you. And if you died. He would just.

Nat and Wanda came running down the hallway with Sam. "How is she?" asked Nat, taking in both Steve and Bucky's distressed state. Neither of them replied, both staying silent and staring into nothingness, "I said how is she," said Nat, both Sam and Wanda waiting for their response too.

In perfect timing Tony opened the lab door, "She'll be okay," he said, Steve stood up straight. "Bruce managed to stabilise the bleeding, and-" Steve pushed past him and into your room, "We're transferring her to hospital but she'll be out and on her feet in a week or so," the rest of them nodded, and Bucky pushed some stray hair from his face. Underneath his eyes were red and puffy, which only Wanda seemed to pick up on as he headed towards the elevator.

-----------------------

You stayed in the hospital for a few days, although you had yet to wake up. Steve had stayed for the first day, but Nat and Sam had taken the other two days so he could sleep. It was an early morning, day four of you still not awake. Bucky knocked on the door to your room, to see Sam reading a magazine in the corner. "Um hi," said Bucky, he'd told Steve he was going out for a morning run. So he was wearing grey sweats and a tight white shirt, his hair was tied back into a man bun and he was clenching his fists in his pockets. "Is she okay?"

Sam looked over to where you were still sound asleep and attached up to a monitor, "She's doing okay," he said, "They say she'll wake up soon, Steve is going crazy, you probably saw him this morning, Nat's trying to keep him away and get him to do something else," Bucky awkwardly nodded. He didn't really know what to say, or what to do. He had just unexpectedly turned up. Could've brought coffee or something to make it look less weird.

"You can go get coffee," said Bucky, "I can stay with Y/N for a while,"

Sam nodded, "Thanks man," he said, before leaving the room. Bucky sat down in the vacated chair, and then looked at the floor. He was scared for you. And even though they said you would be fine, he just wanted you to wake up. So that he knew you were okay. So he could go back to teasing you and you could go back to flirting with each other. That everything would just go back to the way it was and you weren't just laying there helpless, even though you were one of the most badass people he'd ever met. You took down to the floor so quickly, he'd never sparred with anyone better than him.

He heard movement from where you were. You opened your eyes, to see Bucky sat in the corner of the room, "Hey," you said quietly, as Bucky watched you, a small smile on his face. You would tease him about it later, but right now you didn't have the energy, "Buck," you said, as he looked at you, "It hurts, will you just come here?"

Bucky shifted over to you, "hold my hand you idiot," you said, as he encased his hand in yours. He felt warm compared to the fact that you were cold. "Thank you," he said nothing, but wrapped his other arm around you and held you close to him. Even though it was early morning and the sunlight was filtering through the curtains, both of you were close to falling asleep. Bucky hadn't slept since you had been admitted to hospital, and now you were okay in his arms. He rested his head on your shoulder, as you fell asleep on his chest.

You were okay now. That was all that mattered, you were in his arms but okay. And everything was going to be fine. He slowly drifted off into sleep as the peaceful sound of your breathing made him feel peaceful.

When Steve opened the door to your room, followed by Nat and Wanda. He wasn't expecting to see you curled up in Bucky's arms, or his hand holding yours. He didn't expect to see that you had woken up while Bucky was there, for him not to be told. There was a complete silence that fell across the three of them. "I wasn't expecting that," said Steve, anger hinted in the tone of his voice, "What?"

Authors Note: This took kinda long I'm sorry