Chapter Twenty Four

He had managed to stand up, and looked like he was clearing his head. You fumbled in your bag for the other gun just in case but had no luck. A shot fired over your head and you ducked down. He was fast and strong, and he would no doubt kill you if you didn't get your act together. You kicked your bag to the side and aimed your gun at him as he walked towards you.

He fired again at you, and the bullet was coming straight towards you. You tried to duck but it was aimed too low for you to get out of the way. Suddenly the bullet stopped, and dropped to the ground. "What the fuck?" you said, looking at the bullet.

"Don't just stand there y/n," said Tony, landing next to you in his iron man suit, "Move out of the way," Wanda landed next to you, her magic had stopped the bullet from hitting you. When you turned around you saw Sam flying overhead and land between Steve and Bucky who were walking towards you.

Behind him, Nat and Clint walked towards him coming from the other side of the road. "How did you find me?" you asked Wanda in a whisper.

"Your phone has a Stark Industries tracker," she said and you rolled your eyes, "Little tip if you want to leave in the middle of the night without warning, don't take your phone with you," you nodded before turning to Tony, you couldn't read his expression under the suit of armour but you could guess he had his eyebrows raised.

You looked back at Bucky, who was walking with Steve and Sam. You had no idea what he would say when they got to where you were stood. But you weren't exactly looking forward to it.

Nat pulled out her batons as He aimed to fire at Wanda. She hit him from behind, causing him to fire upwards. The shot made a loud noise that made you jump. And Nat kicked him in the side as he turned around frantically. He dropped his gun as he clutched for his side. When he reached for the gun again Wanda used her magic to move it from his grip.

Tony used a blaster so he fell to the floor groaning in pain. "Always so dramatic," you muttered, running towards him. Nat had her foot on his chest and was standing over him.

Bucky, Steve and Sam jogged to catch up with you. Sam patted your shoulder and smiled weakly at you and Steve used his shield to cover both of you. However Bucky continued to walk right past you. He was clearly pissed, and you couldn't blame him. You watched as Bucky pulled a knife out of his pocket as he stood next to Nat. He pointed it over your boss' neck.

"Buck what are you doing?" you shouted, taking the knife from his hand as you reached him.

He pulled the gun from your free hand, "What do you think I'm doing?" he said through gritted teeth, "I'm killing the guy,"

"Well don't," you said, smacking the gun out of his hand. "I don't want to kill him, not yet, it would be a waste if he knows something, about where I come from and what I did. We can save everyone else like me. Everyone else he tortured like me. We can save hundreds of people,"

Bucky ignored you, and took a gun from Nat's belt. He pointed it at your boss' head and then looked at you, as if he needed you to tell him that what he was doing was right. "Bucky please," you whispered, placing your left hand on his cheek. He brushed it away and looked away from you.

"Got any last words?" he asked, your boss' smirked "Before I put a bullet through your head,"

You stepped back, pissed at Bucky for not listening to you. "3, 16, 15, 3, 5, 17, 12." he grunted, as Bucky cocked his gun again. "19, 16, 1, 16, 5, 19, 5, 19, 1, 3, 9, 1, 26."

Of course he spoke in code words, he was an arrogant dickhead. "What does that mean?" asked Steve, looking at you.

"I don't know," you said, looking at your old boss. The amount of power he had held over you since you were thirteen was gone. He was surrounded by avengers who could kill him quicker than he could get up. "I don't know what it means," you glared at him, but he gave nothing away.

Bucky scoffed, "Alright time's up," he said.

"No wait, no," you shouted, "We need to decipher this code you idiot," Bucky ignored you and pulled the trigger on the gun. A loud bang rang out, and you watched as the bullet hit his head, smack bang in the middle. He started gasping for breath as Nat pressed her foot harder into his chest and he clawed at the bullet lodged in his head.

As much as you hated him you couldn't watch. You dropped Bucky's knife at his foot and walked away. You let the team deal with the car on fire and his dead body. After all they ignored you, the only person who actually had any clue about him and his organisation.

"Hey y/n wait up," said Steve, as he started walking next to you.

You sighed, "I really don't wanna talk Steve,"

"I know," he said, placing his shield on his back and studying your bruised face. Blood from the bullet hitting your boss' head was splattered on your cheek. "What was his name?" he asked you.

"I don't know," you said, "I only met him once, when I failed a mission. This was the first, and last, time I had a real conversation with him,"

Steve nodded, and looked at the ground. You walked for a while in silence until you reached a bend in the road. Two cars were parked out of sight of the road. Steve unlocked one of the cars and opened the passenger door for you before getting in the driver's seat. You assumed you'd have to wait for the others. Not that you were looking forward to all the questions.

"Here," said Steve, handing you a tissue. You used it to wipe the blood and ash from your face. "I'm so so sorry y/n,"

You had no idea what he was sorry for. The fact you walked right into a near death situation and left the team behind, because that was mostly your fault. Or whether it was that he had treated you like shit for the past week. You didn't care what it was. Steve took your hand, as he turned on the heating.

"It's okay Steve," you said, as the back doors of the car opened. Sam and Bucky sat down in the car and you cleared your throat. Bucky stared at you angrily through the front mirror the whole way back to the tower. The rest of the car in tense silence.

------------

When Steve parked up outside the tower, you got out of the car immediately. Bucky followed you, slamming the door shut which made you turn and look at him. "I don't wanna talk about it," you said, pushing open the doors to the tower, "I don't wanna answer questions I just wanna sleep,"

"You could explain why you're a liar first," said Bucky, following behind you as you pressed the button for an elevator, "Why you fucking lied to me when I asked you to stay, You could've told me,"

"No I couldn't," you stepped into the elevator and pressed the close button. But Bucky's hand stopped the doors from closing as he walked inside. "Just leave me alone,"

He cornered you in the elevator and you could feel your breath rising in your chest. "I wanna know y/n," he whispered, "Why you lied to me,"

"Because," you whispered, "I didn't wanna hurt you,"

You pressed your lips against his, as he picked you up. His hands under your thighs as you wrapped your arms around his neck. He kissed you rougher and rougher as he pressed your back against the elevator wall. You dug your nails into his back as he kissed down your neck, leaving marks as he went.

When the elevator reached your floor he didn't pull away instead kissing along your collarbone as he walked to his room. He opened the door and you turned the light on. He switched it off as he walked past. He dropped you on the bed and leaned on top of you, your lips connecting once again. "Lie to me again and see what happens," said Bucky sternly.

"I know I'm sorry," you said.

"Shush doll," said Bucky, removing his shirt. You did the same and he smirked, "I think you can make it up to me now,"