Chapter Twenty Six

After several long days in the lab Bruce, Tony and Natasha had finally cracked the code. Bucky had spent those days being completely confused while listening to Tony and Bruce, knocking relentlessly on your door and beating the shit out of the punch bags in the gym. You had refused to leave your room unless you cracked the code. And that was a problem because you were failing at working it out.

"So that must leave the letter A as 5," Bruce said as Nat scribbled it down. The four of them exchanged hugs and applause. "We got it," Bruce said, smiling at his own achievement. The look on Bucky's face was priceless when he realised that he could get you to talk to him again and out of your room.

Tony handed him the sheet of paper with the code written down on it. Bucky took off out of the lab and headed towards your room. He knocked on the door but had no response as usual. "y/n," he spoke softly, he slid the code underneath the door. "You might want to see this,"

You looked at the paper by your door, and got up off your bed. Kicking the sheets of paper out of the way that were littered on your floor, you picked up Bucky's. The code was written down in full, each letter having a different number. It all checked out, it all made sense. You walked slowly to your door and unclicked the lock.

Bucky was sat against the wall opposite your room and he looked up at you and smiled. "You did it?" you asked, he nodded, standing up. "You did it," you said, more excitedly. "You figured it out you did it," Bucky pulled you into a hug and you wrapped your legs around his waist. "Oh my god," you whispered into his ear.

You dropped down, before heading towards the stairwell. You ran down to the kitchen, and ignored the team as they left you with sarcastic remarks about not seeing you. Slamming down the code he had said when he died and the working out.

3, 16, 15, 3, 5, 17, 12, 19, 16, 1, 16, 5, 19, 5, 19, 1, 3, 9, 1, 26.

C, h, i, c, a, g, o, s, h, e, h, a, s, a, s, e, c, r, e, t.

You wrote down what he had said. "Chicago. She has a secret." Steve said as Bucky turned and slammed his metal fist into the wall. As everyone stood round the table trying to work out what the hell it meant. "Chicago," Steve repeated, "Chicago?" you racked your memory. You had attacked Agent Romanoff and Agent Barton on their way to a mission at an airport. ORD. That was the airport.

"That's where it is," you said, "The ORD airport is where I meant Clint and Nat, that's in Chicago. That is where the organisation was, is. Chicago, he said that and taunted me. It's in Chicago, we have to go there,"

Wanda grabbed your arm pulling you back before you could escape to the jet. "She has a secret," Tony said, pointing at the paper. "What the hell does that mean?"

"What makes you think I know,"

Sam sighed. "Y/n," he said, "You are the her. You are the one with a secret." you looked at the team who were all staring at you. Then you looked at Bucky standing behind you. He offered you no soft look. His expression was set in stone. You looked at the paper. Then at Sam. Then at the wall.

"We need to go to Chicago," you said, looking up at Tony. "We don't have time to waste with me trying to work out what the hell he was on about it. We have to go," you left to grab your suit but no-one followed you. "What the fuck?"

Bucky sighed, facing towards you. "We need to work out anything and everything he left so we know what to deal with," you just rolled your eyes kicking the door to the stairwell and storming down the stairwell letting the door slam behind you. You were adding weapons to your suit when Bucky opened the door to the weaponry.

"What?" you said, tightening the belt around your waist. "Bucky I want your help, I'm sorry for being a jerk okay? But I can't take this place down on my own. I will if I have to," Bucky sighed, opening his mouth to argue but you interrupted him again. "If you could take down Hydra, you had that opportunity to take down the place that caused you pain and suffering, and everyone said no. Even though you had to, would you just ignore it,"

Bucky sighed, "I will help you," he said, taking your hand. "Because I know if I asked you to do the same you would do it without question. So let's go take this place down," you smiled, before wrapping your arms around his neck and kissing him. Whispering 'thank you's' into his ear.

You were going to take it down.

And no one would find out your secret.

-----------

Bucky placed the coordinates for Chicago Airport into the jet. You were sat nervously waiting for him to take off. Just as Bucky went to close the door to the jet a hand stopped it. You looked in shock as the whole team sat down inside, wearing their suits and carrying their weapons. "We're a team," Nat said, as she sat next to you, "That means we're there for each other, we should've been on your side before I'm sorry,"

"Let's get this son of a bitch," said Tony, as the jet took off. You smiled, watching Bucky as he talked to Bruce and Tony about the controls. Steve followed your gaze. He had convinced himself you loved him too, but all he had done was take time keeping you two away from each other. When you were soulmates, meant to be. Even if you didn't realise that yet.

The team went over a plan. Hire cars would be left by the jet landing area. The team would go out in groups of three searching for the base, once it was found the team would meet outside and construct a plan based on your knowledge and what the base looked like. You met Bucky's gaze as Steve sorted the groups. "Nat, me and Bruce. Clint, Rhodey and Wanda. Vision, Sam and Tony. Bucky, y/n and Thor." you looked at Bucky who gave you a reassuring smile.

When the plane eventually landed you were jolted awake after falling asleep on Bucky's shoulder. "Okay," said Steve, picking up his shield. Bruce opened the jet door and one by one each of you dropped down. Four SUV's were parked nearby. You took the keys for one, along with Steve,  Rhodey and Sam. "You got this," Steve said quietly. You smiled gratefully at him before sliding into the car.

You were the last car to leave, your hands were shaky as you pulled away from the airport. Bucky's hand was placed on your thigh, and his warm touch was more comforting than words.

Authors Note: This has taken so long and I do apologise. I've been so busy these past few weeks trying to make the most of Summer before I go back to school. Thank you for sticking with the story :)