Chapter Nineteen

When you both woke up, it was early morning the next day. Bucky had gone to get you coffee while the Nurse checked you over. "Everything looks great," she said, "You live at Stark Tower? I can discharge you today, I'll just need you to come for regular check ups," she smiled brightly at you. Of course you were excited. You finally got to go home. But then again you had to see Steve. You had to break up with Steve.

"Great, thanks," you said, faking a smile. When the nurse left you dropped back against the pillow, closing your eyes. Bucky had opened the blinds before he left so the sunlight made your eyes hurt. Hearing the door reopen you looked over, hoping to see Bucky with your morning coffee.

It was not Bucky.

It was Steve.

Shit. "Hi," you said, sitting up. You ran your fingers through your hair, and sat up against the wall, "Steve, I thought you were on a mission," he looked at the floor and back at you. And you waited for him to say something. Anything. He fucking walked out. You deserve an explanation.

"Yeah, um I'm sorry," he said, still standing in the doorway. You could bet $50 on the fact he would leave in about five minutes. "But look Fury said it was urgent, I wouldn't have left otherwise. I really am sorry. And you're okay? Right? How did the surgery go?"

You sighed, "Okay, it went well, I'm getting discharged today," he smiled up at you, "But we really really need to talk," Steve looked at you, his brow furrowed. "Just I need to sort this out, and get my discharge papers, please, I'll see you at the tower, okay?" you pinched the bridge of your nose before looking at him.

"Right, yeah," said Steve, "I um, Y/N," he said, turning to you. You looked over at him, raising your eyebrows, "I um, I love you," he stated, before walking out the door.

What the fuck.

When Bucky returned with the coffee, he was confused to find you pacing up the hotel room. "So," you said, as soon as he set foot in the room. "I'm fine, they're letting me come home," Bucky opened his mouth but you shushed him, "But also guess who dropped by? Steve. Yeah and guess what? He loves me, so that's fun. I wanna break up with him and he loves me. Yay,"

Bucky's mouth dropped open. You'd been awake less than two hours, and everything was going to shit. It was easier when you were in a hospital room with a jealous Steve. Why? Why? Why? Why does this shit happen to you? "Okay Bucky, kinda want you to say something, please?"

"So, Steve loves you?" said Bucky, you sighed loudly, "Right. But he loves you? I mean I know I've been brainwashed for a while, but you don't say you love someone that quickly. Right?"

"Yes," you said, "And I don't even know how to feel, and I swear he's more jealous than in love?" Bucky nodded, "So now, I told him we needed to talk, as in I break up with him. And now he loves me, so I can't exactly break up with him the same day he tells me he loves me, so we're gonna have to, pretend we still hate each other,"

Bucky let a sad look on his face for a split second, which you responded back to with a sympathetic smile. "Fine," he said, "I've done it before, I can do it again," you chuckled and he smiled at you. You took the coffee from him, and took a sip before sitting down on the bed with Bucky. Both of you sat in silence for a while. You couldn't believe everything that was happening to you.

The nurse came in with your discharge papers. You signed them, and Bucky said he would take good care of you, before placing a kiss to your temple. "Alright," said Bucky, picking up your bag, "You finally get to go home," you smiled. And followed Bucky out to his car.

--------------

When you arrived back home, the tower was quiet. Bucky helped you to your room, before you slid under the covers. "I'll see if um, if Steve is around," said Bucky, dropping your bag by the wardrobe before heading out of your room. You dropped your head onto the pillow, pulling the covers up to hide your face. A knock came at your door, and Bucky returned. "No one is here," he said, you looked confused. "Weird," he came and sat down next to you.

You were still really confused as to why everyone was gone. Bucky was checking his phone, when he saw a message from Tony. "It says," he said, reading it aloud, "Nat, Wanda, Vision, Sam and Clint are on a mission. Tony is at a press conference. Thor is off-world. Bruce had to visit a shield lab. The others are with family. They'll all be back tomorrow," you nodded, trying to ignore the fact he hadn't mentioned where Steve was.

Bucky then turned to you, "Hey," he said, his eyes bright, "we could have an actual date," you smiled at him. The idea of a date with Bucky filled you with butterflies.

"Okay wait then," you said, standing up slowly. You went to the wardrobe, and flicked through your clothes. Bucky watched you intently. You picked out a short, satin red, halter neck dress. "Too fancy?" you asked him, he nodded. You placed it back, and then picked out a black bodycon dress, "Still too formal?" he nodded again. Finally, you picked out a floral summer dress that was a light pink.

Bucky smiled, "That one," you headed to the bathroom and pulled on the dress and some matching pink trainers. You brushed through your hair, and put on some lipgloss before finding Bucky outside. "You ready?" you nodded.

"Then let's go on our date,"