Chapter Forty Five

Wanda was basically destroying Thanos. She didn't need you or anyone else to help her, in fact you just looked pathetic next to her with your gun and knife as her power almost killed him. "Wanda," you called out as she almost snapped Thanos' head. "Wanda!"

Her head snapped to look at you, leaving her vulnerable for Thanos to fight back. He managed to escape the confines of her power and Wanda fell to the floor next to you as he disappeared from sight.

"Sorry," you said, as she stood back up and dusted her hands, "Um- I'm, you know about Nat?"

"Visions dead," she replied bluntly, "not like snapped dead like fully dead,"

It took you back. The way she just said it.

"I'm so sorry Wanda,"

She laughed, but in a sinister way, "It's his fault, I'll kill him. Destroy him like he forced me to do to Vision," her gaze softened as she looked past you, "It aches, it hurts,"

"I know,"

"And now Nat?"

You nodded. There was a silence, you couldn't really tell if it was an uncomfortable one. Everything felt so forced. With Bucky. With your friends. Nothing felt right. Nothing was the same. It never would be.

You heard your name from behind you. Spinning on your heels you saw Bucky and Peter struggling to fight about 10 aliens (or whatever they were, you still weren't sure).

"Still need me," you chuckled, kicking one of the aliens in the knees from behind and watching as he fell on to your knife. You winked at Bucky as he shot two in the face, and you jumped onto another one's shoulders, hitting down hard on its head with your gun. Peter was still struggling with the one, his webs not working as he wanted them too.

"Spidey!" you called out, catching his eye, "Catch," you threw your knife across to him and he caught it with one hand and in one swift motion stabbed the alien in front of him and you smiled as it fell to the floor.

Three aliens were left. Each of you took one. Bucky took his out within minutes, each kick causing the alien to double over. Peter kept shooting webs at the aliens face, until eventually it couldn't see and Bucky shot it three times. Each gunshot causing your ears to ring.

The alien who was trying to kill you was a lot more difficult. You actually ended up in a chokehold, struggling against the hand that was holding your throat to the ground. You kicked your legs but the alien didn't flinch. It did however smile creepily at you as if it enjoyed watching you suffer.

"Get the fuck off my girlfriend," Bucky yelled loudly, punching it across the face and doing so repetitively until it was helpless on the ground which allowed Bucky to slowly stab it to death.

You caught your breath slowly, and Bucky offered his hand to help you up. He hugged you closely, holding on to you for dear life as if he vowed to never let go. You buried your head into his shoulder.

"I missed you," he whispered, running a hand through your hair, "I really missed you y/n,"

"I missed you too," you spoke softly, blinking back the tears that were pricking at your eyes, "I love you, I always loved you, we were supposed to be together,"

Bucky gently tilted your chin up so that you were looking at him. Your eyes got lost in his, but it was a lost that made you feel like you were at home. He pulled you closer against his chest, and leaned in to kiss you. The eye contact between you two had never faltered as he did so. And for a second as you shared the kiss it felt like you weren't standing in a battlefield littered with bodies. But instead you were floating on cloud 9.

It ended with Tony's shout, a shout for a team meeting. Although it was hardly a good idea both you and Bucky sprinted over. As what was left of the avengers gathered around the air felt melancholy. A sadness waved over you, all of you. Bucky squeezed your hand.

"We need a plan," Tony stated, "Bucky, y/n and Clint take the east side. Me, Steve, Rhodey and Bruce take the west side of the battlefield. Um guardians? Is it? You take the centre area. Wanda float. Peter stay close to Wanda. Thor you go as far out as you can with Sam and Scott,"

Everyone spread out. You and Bucky fought alongside each other, working with each other. It was when Clint pulled you two over it was that you saw the real reason Thanos' army had given up.

Tony was central to everything. Kneeled in the rubble. The infinity stones on his gauntlet. You gasped, and Bucky wrapped an arm around you tightly. Tony was shaking. "He won't survive," you whispered, as a tear slid down your cheek.

You attempted to run towards him, to help him. To sacrifice yourself in place of him but Bucky gripped your wrist and pulled you back.

"Let go of me," you said, trying to pry his fingers from your wrist, "Bucky please fucking let go of me," you slapped his hand but he wouldn't let go. You couldn't even look at him, "Let go,"

You fell silent as Tony spoke, breathing heavily as the power of the stones killed him slowly.

"And I...am...iron man,"

He snapped his fingers and suddenly the army around you turned to dust. Disappearing into thin air just like you had.

"No," you whispered, "No, no no no," your eyes had followed Tony as he collapsed onto a pile of rubble. Ruined by the stones. He wasn't strong enough to survive it. "No!" you screamed, Bucky let go of your wrist as you ran towards Tony and collapsed at his side.

He smiled, although it looked painful, at you. "Don't cry dumbass, you could kick anyone's ass even mine in a heartbeat," each word came out raspy and desperate as he struggled.

"Tony," you said as Bucky reached you, trying to pull you away. "Don't go, don't go please,"

"y/n, y/n,"

You sobbed as Peter reached the two of you. Mr Stark? Mr Stark? more tears flooding your cheeks. You wanted to yell at Tony tell him not to be so weak to get back up like avengers were supposed to. But all you could do was sob like an idiot as Bucky pulled you away.

Bucky embraced you in a warm hug. But you sobbed into his chest, he whispered "it'll be okay" in your ear.

But it wasn't okay.

It was when Bucky tensed you looked over to see the arc reactor die out. Spluttering for life as it did so. You stopped crying at that moment. Instead you felt nothing. You felt empty. Like no emotion could even describe how you were feeling right now.

The melancholy air returned again as the entire battlefield went silent for miles around. A wave of darkness rolled over everyone. Drowning each one of you. Pushing you down so far that you couldn't ever come up for air.

A/N: apologies for how long this took. My exams are finally over so expect more updates and an ending shortly. <3