Chapter Thirty Six

December 15th was round the corner quicker than you had expected. Suddenly, today was the last day before you and Bucky were left alone and you had no idea where the time had gone. From last week's argument, to spending everyday alone in your room to avoid him. And now Bruce was packing up his car and you were handing him his bags, and he was the last one to leave.

"Have fun in Canada!" you said, though your voice was honeyed as you spoke. "Don't have too much fun without me,"

Bruce smiled. "Don't worry I plan to catch up on some reading and watch tv. Maybe take some walks in the snow round the forest," you smiled, trying not to picture yourself doing that. It sounded so peaceful. Because here you were dreading going back inside when Bruce had gone because you would officially be alone.

When he had finished packing his bags, Bruce hugged you tightly. You held him back and didn't let go for a while. You didn't say anything as he let go and got in his car, you felt so completely and utterly alone. Like this tidal wave was washing over you and drowning you and you had absolutely no way to get up to the surface for air. It felt like Bucky had been your only air, and now the waves were dragging you down and he was nowhere to save you.

Bruce had driven away soon after, and you found yourself hesitating to go back inside. You could see Bucky's new girlfriend and her friends behind the desk, and one of them turned to stare at you. She waved at you mockingly and smiled sarcastically. You just looked away, you took your phone out your pocket to text Sam to ask about his offer but after typing out a message and hesitating over the send button you placed it back in the pocket of your jeans.

You opened the door to the tower, and noticed Bucky in reception. He was stood by the tree with his new girlfriend, his hands around her waist and smiling at her. You looked away, looking at the floor and blinking back tears.

Your phone rang as you waited by the elevator. You knew Bucky, his girlfriend and the girls at the desk had all turned to stare at you. You quickly answered, turning to look at the wall. "What's up?" Sam asked you as you answered. "Because you've started typing and sent no message about five times this morning alone,"

"Sam..." you stifled a cry as a tear rolled down your cheek. "I don't know what to do,"

"Come down and spend time with me and my family, they'll love you I promise. You can't stay at the tower, it's not good for you," Sam was so sweet it made you want to cry more. "You got that?"

You blinked back your tears, "thank you Sam," you whispered, smiling into your phone. You had no idea what you had done to deserve a friend like Sam but you knew that you would never let him go. He was there for you, time after time. And it was the sweetest thing anyone had ever done for you.

"Pack your bag, get your car and I'll text you the address," he said, "Ignore Bucky, Ignore the mean girls at the front desk and just come here. My nephews will love you,"

"Thank you," you said quietly again as the elevator doors opened. You stood by the back wall, studying the live picture of Times Square. It was still snowing, and trees were dusted white. Just as the doors started closing, a hand grabbed them. Please don't be Bucky. Please don't be Bucky.

It was in fact Bucky.

Him and his girlfriend to be specific. They both realised you were stood in the back corner when the doors opened properly. "Oh," Bucky said, as he shuffled closer to his girlfriend.

"I um..I didn't catch your name," you said to the girl, who clearly felt uncomfortable. "What was it?"

She looked at Bucky, before looking at you. Her eyes were narrowed, and a small smirk on her face. You shrugged, not bothering to fight back. "It's Rose," she said, turning to smile sweetly at Bucky.