Chapter Seventeen

When Steve opened the door to your room, followed by Nat and Wanda. He wasn't expecting to see you curled up in Bucky's arms, or his hand holding yours. He didn't expect to see that you had woken up while Bucky was there, for him not to be told. There was a complete silence that fell across the three of them. "I wasn't expecting that," said Steve, anger hinted in the tone of his voice, "What?"

Bucky turned to see Steve, who was biting his bottom lip to stop from saying something. Your hand was still in his, and his arm was still wrapped around you, pulling you closer into his chest. Steve cleared his throat, "So when I said 'can you please stop flirting with Y/N' you took that as to start holding her while she sleeps,"

"No, that's really not," said Bucky, as you breathed in deeply and he turned to look at you, "It's really not what you think it is, Sam went to get coffee and I said I would stay here incase she woke up, and she did, Steve she woke up, but then she asked me to hold her and I couldn't say no," he rambled, Steve looked unimpressed, and Bucky looked to Wanda for help, and she nodded to say he was telling the truth, "But the important thing is that she woke up, she's okay Steve, you got your girl back," he mumbled the last part quietly.

Steve pushed the hair from his face, "She's okay?" he asked quietly, Bucky nodded. He turned to Natasha and Wanda, "She's okay,"

"I'm okay," you said sleepily, rubbing your eyes. Bucky quickly moved his arm from around you, and got off the bed. He stood up quickly before standing against the wall. Steve sat down on the edge of the bed, "Hey Stevie," you smiled weakly as a tear formed in his eye, you reached out for his hand but felt a spark fly up your spine as you moved, "shit ow," you said, as your hand began to shake.

Steve moved closer to you, holding your hand in his. Bucky tensed as he saw you shake worse, "Steve," he said, the monitor next to you started to beep as your head flew back. An alarm started blaring, some nurses opened a door and Bucky, along with Nat and Wanda, was pushed out the door and it was slammed shut in their faces.

You were quickly sedated, as Steve was pushed to the back wall. Doctors started taking blood tests, "She's bleeding," said one of the doctors, "She's coding," said another, Steve rubbed his eyes, holding back tears. He couldn't be sent out. He could not leave you alone. "Stop that bleeding," said someone else, Steve sniffled, "Get him out or keep him quiet," said someone, looking at Steve.

---------------

It was a couple hours later, and Bucky had been sat in a waiting chair watching your door the whole time. Steve appeared first, his hair was messy, his eyes were red and his hands were shaking slightly as he held them together. "She's fine," said Steve, "A broken nerve that wasn't fixed, there was some bleeding and they're taking her into surgery later, you can go home now, she's fine,"

"Right yeah," said Bucky, "I'll um, I'll go home," Steve nodded as Bucky stood up to leave, "Tell y/n I hope she recovers soon, I'll miss seeing her in Starbucks," he put on his coat and smiled weakly. He didn't want to go home, he didn't want to just sit around not knowing if you were okay. You had to go into surgery, and he wouldn't know if you were okay. And that would drive him insane.

Steve looked confused when Bucky walked away. But headed back into your room anyway. You were sat up in the bed, drinking tea and reading a book that Wanda had brought for you. "Bucky says he'll miss seeing you in Starbucks," Steve said sarcastically before sitting down on a chair, "Whatever that means," okay jealous much. You closed your book, placing it on the table beside your bed.

"Steve, I got shot and practically died in Sam's arms, had a surgery from Tony and Bruce, was moved to hospital, had more surgery, just almost died again, have a broken nerve, need more surgery and can barely move because I'm sat in a hospital bed," you said, "So please stop going on about Bucky and the fact that I go to Starbucks," Steve looked down in silence. "Look just, I don't need this right now, this is weird, I've never, I've never not been fighting,"

Steve sighed, "Sorry,"

You picked up your book, resuming the silence that fell over the room. It was awkward. You had yelled at Steve again. At least when Bucky was here you could tease him, and he would flirt back. It was fun, you loved talking to him. He was a great person, he was sweet, kind and pretty. He had a beautiful soul, and he deserved someone who really appreciated him.

And that someone wasn't you.

It means you had to let Bucky move on, you couldn't get jealous, you couldn't make fun of his girlfriends and call them bitches. You had to let go. No more flirting, no more teasing. You had to let him go. Because you couldn't be the person that kept him hoping he'll finally be able to date someone that he can't. You were with Steve. You were happy with Steve. And it wasn't fair to him.

Steve opened up his phone, you watched him quickly read over it, "Mission," he said, turning to you. You raised your eyebrows, a dissapointed look on your face. "Sorry, but Fury needs me, I swear I'll be back soon," he kissed your cheek before leaving the room. You took in what just happened, Steve had left you. It wasn't like you could yell at him from here, he'd just walked out on you. What the fuck.

And despite telling yourself not to, you still reached over to get your phone. You found Bucky in your contacts, and clicked ring. "Pick up pick up pick up," you muttered as the phone rang, it picked up after the third ring, "Hey," you said quietly.

"Hey y/n," said Bucky, "What's going on?"