Chapter Twenty Eight

"Steve," you shouted, as Steve picked his shield up from the ground. He looked over to you. "I need you to cover me," you pointed towards the business men and he nodded. You looked over to where Bucky managed to take out three agents as six more attacked him. Steve held the shield in front of the two of you as you both ran through agents. You looked back for Bucky but agents were circling you.

The only way out was towards the fight.

Steve's arm was wrapped firmly around your back as the two of you ran through what felt like thousands of agents. His shield protected you from the front but kicks and punches were thrown at your back. You'd aimlessly shot your gun, less worried you'd shoot one of your own team members as you got more lost in the sea of agents.

"Are you okay?" Steve said quietly, as he pushed past more agents. You looked up from the floor you had been walking on, which was painted grey and chipped. Probably from the endless times you and thousands of other agents had walked up and down those same hallways. You turned to look at Steve, who was already looking at you with concern etched across his face.

You sighed, turning back to look for anyone in the team you recognised. The other two groups hadn't arrived yet, and even if they had, the team would still be massively outnumbered. You didn't stand a chance at winning, even if you and Steve could get the businessmen to talk.

"Y/N?" Steve asked again, a bit louder, and a lot more concerned.

"Sorry, yes," you kicked an agent who was going for you in the stomach. "I am great. I am just fantastic Steve. Yeah."

Steve sighed, and as he looked over his shield to see the steps that had felt so far away. There must be a secret exit. He lifted your hand off the shield, and threw it in a perfect way so it knocked out all the agents standing in front of the steps. You took out the last few that went for you and Steve. Then the two of you raced up the stairs, except that there were stairs everywhere.

Three different pathways of steps that looked like they went on forever. "Should've brought a third person," you chuckled, before falling back into the wall. You tried to keep a smile on your face, but the leader of this place was already dead. Not to mention you had no idea where the people that were taking over this place looked like or where they were headed. "What do we do now?" your voice broke as you looked at him with tear filled eyes. "I really fucking thought I, we, could do this,"

"Do what?" Steve asked you, he looked sad for you, as he looked around at what the possible plans could be.

You wiped a tear that had begun to escape your eyes. "Save future me's," you ran a hand through your hair, and looked at Steve. Even the smile you had plastered to your face was so obviously fake, and Steve pulled you into a hug. "I really, I really tried. I thought, maybe just maybe, I could actually do some good,"

"I know," he said as you rested your head in the crook of your neck. Bucky ran up the stairs, after seeing you sprint off towards the rich dicks that owned this hellhole. But he stopped short when seeing you engulfed in Steve's arms. He couldn't see your face, but he could see Steve's, and he was hesitating placing a hand on the back of your head. You must of been upset about something surely. But even so, a part of him told him to hide away but watch to see how it turned out.

As Bucky hid behind the entrance to the steps, you pulled away from Steve's hug. It had made you feel a tiny bit better. But Bucky's hugs were always the best. You felt safe when he had his arms wrapped around you. And you wished he was here to tell you it was all going to be okay.

But it wasn't all going to be okay.

At least not this time.

There's always something that somebody wants. Always some way a person can be bought. Your old boss had valued you more than any other agent he had ever trained. You were the thing that could be bought. You weren't still sure why they wanted you, when there seemed to be what looked like thousands more of you.

Steve was watching the thoughts that crossed through your mind and flashed across your face. "What you thinking about?" Steve asked, looking at you. "We'll get them y/n. I promise."

"No we won't," you fumbled with your fingers, "They know, that we know where they're keeping all the agents. Where they have a secret underground torture chamber for people who don't know how they get there, just wake up and that's how they live for the rest of their life. How all they remember is the same hallways and training rooms. They know all that now Steve. We lost our chance,"

You pushed past him, and down the steps. You pulled your hair from the ponytail it was in, and let your hair fall to your shoulders as you walked away. Tears clouded your eyes, and probably your judgment too, you pushed agents away. Not even bothering to hurt them, because you too had once been them. They needed help to get out of here, just like you had. You unclipped your weapons belt, letting it fall to the floor. It wasn't like you were trying to be a hero, when you weren't even close to one. But you were done.

Done with fighting.

Done with everything.

Bucky had watched you walk past him, hesitant to grab your wrist. Then he had turned to Steve who had done the same thing. Eyes wide with his fear of losing. Not losing you. Losing a fight.

You walked past Bruce, who had managed to avoid turning into Hulk, and was treating a wound on Nat's shoulder. She called out to you, but you kept walking. Past Thor who was taking another agent out, he tried to smile at you. You walked past an entering Sam and Tony, Vision following behind with more weapons as back up. "We don't need them," you spoke quietly, your voice close to breaking. "We already lost,"

Sam was the only one not scared to grab your wrist. "What do you mean?" you shook your head, tears finally spilling, making tiny pathways along your cheeks. You fell into his chest. His hands still gripping your wrist, but he let go and held your hands instead as he let you cry.

Bucky sprinted round the corner, and towards your shaking figure. Loud sobs shaking Sam's body as he held you. Sam passed you into Bucky's embrace. You looked at Bucky's worried face as you wrapped your arms around his waist holding him tightly. "You're not a villain," he told you, wiping a tear, "We might not have earned the title of heroes. But we aren't bad people baby. You can't save everyone,"

He was right. But the only problem is that you wanted to save everyone. Even if it meant you couldn't save yourself.

Author's Note: After over two weeks I am back, with a new chapter and a possible ending in sight for this love story. I have also decided to change the title of this book, to something I feel is more relevant, hope that's not too confusing xx