Chapter Forty Six

It had been nearly four months since Tony had passed. Your heart still ached the same as it has that day. And things had changed massively since that day. Bucky and Sam had lost Steve, he had gone back to Peggy. Or so Bucky interpreted it. You however had a slightly different idea that he didn't go as far back as the 1940s, instead he went back for Natasha so he never had to lose her like Vormir.

Steve passed away a few days after he returned from taking the stones back. There was a small ceremony for him. Just you, Sam, Bucky, Clint, Wanda and Bruce. Course there was a memorial for Vision and Natasha too.

Bucky and you had moved into a small apartment together in Phoenix. It was far enough away you felt you could finally escape everything that had happened.

"Buck," you called, walking from the bathroom to the kitchen. He was making waffles, drizzling them in chocolate sauce and throwing on strawberries. "Hey," you kissed his cheek as you approached him.

"Morning beautiful," he responded, kissing you back. "You okay?"

You took a strawberry from the bowl in front of him, "Oh yeah hun, I was just gonna say that I was gonna go grab a few more things before we go away do you wanna come with?"

Bucky handed you a waffle as you sat down at the kitchen table. "Yes," he responded with a smile, "We go tomorrow though honey, I thought you were packed?"

"I am, but there's a few things missing,"

He chuckled as he sat down opposite you with his own waffle. "Well of course you are hun," you smiled, looking down.

With all that was going on, life seemed pretty okay right now.

You and Bucky spent the next two weeks in the Bahamas. Between cocktails, swimsuits, sex and beaches you had the best time of your life. It was the first time it felt like the bad stuff was well and truly behind you.

So much had happened the last few years of your life. From that first day you arrived at the tower, when you first met Bucky. You had absolutely no idea that you would end up here, laying on a sunbed next to Bucky in the Bahamas, and finally leaving the past behind you.

The man that caused you this pain, this suffering was dead. He couldn't hurt you anymore. Your days of avenging were over, you didn't want to lose anyone else close to you. The suit was gone, burnt in a fire you had set on purpose. Your main focus now was to grow old with Bucky. Live a somewhat normal life.

And right now, it felt like you were doing that.

"Hey y/n," Bucky said, you turned on your side to face him. "This is it,"

You chuckled, "This is what?"

"This is it, this is everything we've been waiting for. Do you not remember, the first walk we had late at night. How fucked up we were that neither of us could sleep?" he laughed lightly to himself. "I mean hell, we've dated other people, fallen out, fought each other, blipped, watched our friends die,"

"What a lovely list,"

Bucky reached for your hand, he squeezed it tightly. "What I mean is, we got through all of that. Everything. And we've ended up together. This is what we've been waiting for. After all those years of being held captive, all the things we've dreamed of. This is it,"

"I suppose your right," you said with a smile, "This is everything I've been waiting for,"

Bucky sat up on his sunbed, he motioned for you to come over. And you sat on his lap, wrapping your arms around his neck. He kissed the top of your head and softly ran his hands through your hair.

"You're perfect you know," he whispered, kissing your shoulder, "Perfect,"

"So are you," you whispered back, hugging him tightly. As you did so, you smiled into his chest. Because he was right, this was it. This was everything you waited for in all the years you'd been hidden away from the world. Everything you deserved. And now you finally had it.

"I'm going to go grab us some drinks," Bucky kissed your cheek, "I'll be right back,"

You reached into your bag, pulling out the newest book you had started reading. Your eyes followed Bucky as he walked along the beach. It was when he walked the steps back to the hotel and was out of your eyesight you went back to the book.

Ten minutes later Bucky returned, handing you a martini. "For you, my love,"

He sat down next to you, drinking his beer and staring out at the blue seas ahead of the two of you. Nothing but sea. It felt so peaceful.

You kept looking over at Bucky as he stared ahead. A part of you wanted to ask him what he was thinking about, but a part of you just liked the silence. You sipped your martini, and went back to your book.

It was weird. Because ten years ago this wouldn't have ever been possible to you. Even the day you moved into Stark Tower, it was a fragment of imagination.

If only you could tell younger you that everything would work out.

"Hey y/n," Bucky broke your train of thought, "Do you remember when we almost got married drunk? And then we were going to actually get married,"

"Yeah,"

"Maybe one day we could actually, without the drunk part,"

"Maybe one day,"

"Y/n," Bucky asked again, which caused you to close the book in your hands which you hadn't actually read for a good fifteen minutes. "I'm so lucky to have found you, seriously. You're everything to me,"

You smiled, locking eyes with him. "You're everything to me too,"

"I'm serious," he said, "Steve's gone. If I didn't have you, I wouldn't have anyone. I'd have no reason to live. You saved me,"

He smiled at you, "thank you for saving me,"

"Thank you too," you responded, "We saved each other,"

Bucky grabbed your hand, and the two of you lay holding hands as you watched the sun gradually set.

This was it. This was all you needed.

You finally made it.

The End

A/N: That's the ending I guess. I wanna thank everyone who's read and so patiently waited for each chapter. I hope the ending didn't disappoint. Lots of love 💗