Chapter Thirty Eight

The last two minutes of Christmas were chaotic to say the least. You were on your second glass of gin and tonic already, and your head was spinning about what had just happened. Wanda was giving you confused glances as she read your mind, and you smiled back every time she did.

"Ooh 11:59," Tony said, "In sixty seconds Christmas will be over," yay.

As you finished your second glass the door to the kitchen was thrown open. It slammed against the wall, causing you to jump.

Bucky stormed over, and he stood in front of you. Towering over you. "I love the way you only wear one kind of perfume, I love the way you obsess over tiny things, I love the way everything in your room has to be in its place or you get mad, I love how your hair smells after you shower, I love your obsession with coffee, I love how you stop to say hi to every dog when you go anywhere, I love your selflessness, I love how you care so much about everyone here, I adore you. There's not a single thing I hate about you. I love you Y/N Y/L/N, don't ever tell me I don't."

You sat there shocked, holding the gin glass tightly because your hands were so weak you felt like you could drop it. Before you had time to respond, Bucky kissed you again.

"It's not exactly spending Christmas with me," Bucky told you, "But I'm telling you y/n, I love you. Don't ever believe for one second that I don't,"

Unsure how to respond, you sat silently. The rest of the team watching you. "I don't understand," you finally said, "I mean, you were with Rose, you moved on, I asked you to wait. And now you love me?"

"I've always loved you," he whispered, tears glistening in his eyes, "The first time I met you I was like fucking hell, I want her. We walked in silence for hours that first night, I could just see myself falling in love with you. And we're both fucked up I know that, but I love you. I always will, I'm sorry I waited so long to tell you that,"

You took Bucky by the hand, leading him downstairs and back to your room. You stayed silent the whole time. When your door was finally closed you collapsed on the bed next to Bucky. He gazed into your eyes, waiting for you to say something.

"I love you too," you whispered, leaning your forehead against his. "I missed you so much, okay, this has to be it. Me and you, forever. No if, buts or maybes. Me and you,"

Bucky smiled at you, "Just us darling,"

And then he kissed you again.

—————

You woke up late the next day, rolling over to see Bucky who was still sound asleep next to you. One of his arms was draped over your waist, and you kissed his forehead. He opened his eyes wearily, smiling at you.

"You're so pretty," he said, you laughed, before climbing out of bed. "Where are you going?"

"It's midday," you replied.

Bucky sighed, "So, let's stay in bed, no one's gonna miss us. But I'm gonna miss you,"

"Quit whining," you said, pulling on a hoodie. "It's still snowing, I'm with the guy I love, there's so much food in the tower it's unreal and everywhere is back open," you opened the blinds, letting in the winter sun.

Bucky pulled the pillow over his face, "So," he responded, as you opened a window. "You tryna kill me or something,"

"It would've worked by now if I was," you responded lightly, "Stop being annoying and get up, I'm going to see Nat and Wanda. I'll see you,"

You headed downstairs, to meet Nat and Wanda in the lobby. The three of you walked to a local café, and you ordered a vanilla latte. "So," Nat said as you sat silently. "how are things with you and Bucky?"

"Really good," you responded with a smile, "really fucking good,"

Wanda smiled, "I'm so happy for you," you laughed as Nat patted your arm. "Hey did you speak to Sam after you left with Bucky last night?"

"No, why?"

"He left," Nat said quietly, you looked between the two of them, confused. "After you left with Bucky about two hours later he told Steve he was going back to his sisters, he clocked three weeks leave?"

Your expression dropped, "I didn't know," you said, "I should talk to him,"

"Probably," Nat said, "ooh by the way I brought you a gift back from our holiday, don't let me forget to give it to you. You're gonna love it!"

You squealed, "I completely forgot to ask you two, how was your holidays?"

Wanda smiled, "We have to fly back out there in a few days, we're finalising plans to buy a house," you were shocked, "We want to move in together, preferably away from the tower, and I just love it there. It's perfect! So we're gonna go there every so often, when we're not on missions. I'm so excited!"

"Oh my god," you exclaimed, "Wanda, that's amazing!" she laughed. "I'm so happy for you, I can't believe this. How was the northern lights with Steve?"

"Perfect," Nat replied, "It was just amazing, he told me he loved me, and we walked under the lights. I got some amazing photos I should show you. It was just. I loved every second of it,"

You smiled, "Look at us all happy," you replied, "I'm so happy for us,"

"Me too!" Wanda said, "We should celebrate tonight, go out for drinks and look pretty," you smiled, "Come on it'll be fun,"

The three of you agreed on a time and a place. You were so excited to go out and celebrate everything that was now going right in your life. Just as you finished your coffee you got a text from Bucky.

Buck <3
Meet me upstairs in 10
I have a surprise for you :)

You
See you there ❤️

"Drinks at 10," you said, grabbing your purse, "gotta run, Bucky's calling,"

Nat chuckled, "Oh go see your man, we've bored you with our relationships long enough," you smiled, before leaving the café and walking quickly towards the tower.

When you got back you could see Steve and Tony talking in the foyer. You waved and Steve stopped you as you walked past. "Go to the gym," he told you, you furrowed your eyebrows. "Just go,"

You counted the floors as the elevator reached the twenty second floor. The doors opened onto the gym. Your jaw dropped as you looked around. The lights had been dimmed, and the only light came from the hundreds of candles that were laid out to make a pathway. Rose petals accompanied the candles, and you followed them.

Bucky was standing by the window, he smiled as he saw you. "You're so beautiful," he whispered, "I'm so in love with you,"

"What is all this?" You asked him, as he wrapped his arms around your waist. He chuckled and you tilted your head. "Bucky come on,"

"Marry me,"

"What?"

Authors Note: I feel like this was super short? Idk. I liked the ending. Seeing Spider-Man no way home on Friday, super excited! I'll update this before Christmas I promise and if I don't someone remind me cos I'm painfully forgetful. Merry Christmas and stay safe 💓