Chapter Twenty Five

You woke up in Bucky's arms as the sunlight filtered in through his windows. His arms were wrapped tightly around you and you could feel the falling and rising of his chest as he breathed.

The events of last night soon resurfaced at your memory, and you realised that despite your old boss being dead his organisation was still very much alive and you needed to take it down. You needed to help everyone he had corrupted. Just like the avengers had helped you.

Bucky was still asleep, so you moved from his grasp and rolled to the other side of the bed. You grabbed your clothes off the floor, and grabbed a shirt from over Bucky's desk chair. You put it on and it fell mid-thigh. Quietly you opened the door and crept across the hall.

Your room had been cleaned up from before. There was no more blood or writing all over the floors. The room had been repainted in your favourite colour, and the floorboards had been recarpeted. New sheets were on your bed and a new wardrobe of clothes were hanging up. Tony was so sweet. You were gonna cry.

You threw the clothes on the floor by your wardrobe and fell onto the bed. You looked at your phone searching for where your old organisation used to be. The maps showed that the old building was looking more abandoned than before. Either this was a decoy or it had moved. But then again Bucky had shot the leader so you actually had no way to get answers. Nat and Clint had dealt with his body by calling shield. They had taken care of everything in the car as well, so all the evidence would be at HQ.

After getting dressed in some leggings and an oversized hoodie you headed down to the first floor. However the elevator stopped at the third floor and Tony stood in front of you. "Tell me you aren't about to run away again?" he asked as he stepped inside. "Because I don't think Barnes can survive a second heart attack."

"I'm just going to Shield," you said, as Tony looked down at you. "They have everything left in his car that I might be able to use to find out where all his new recruits are."

Tony nodded, "You do realise we're a team," he said, staring at you. "That means we worked together, and we can help you take this organisation down. You don't have to do it alone. Okay?"

"Thanks Tony," you said, as the elevator stopped at the ground floor. "Um see you later?" Tony handed you the keys to an audi as he went over to see a red haired woman talking to some potential business partners.

-----------------

Once you arrived at Shield you made your way to Fury's office. "He's busy," said the secretary, eyeing you suspiciously. "I can let him know that your waiting,"

"Can you just tell me where the evidence from the car crash last night went?" you asked, sighing. This woman looked at you like you were a piece of shit. "I'm Agent Y/L/N," you said, as she pretended to ignore you.

The door to Fury's office opened and Steve and Natasha walked out. They walked over to you. "We came for the evidence too," said Nat, she handed you a small key with the number 76 written on it. "That's where it all is, we'll be looking over old case files if you need anything,"

That was weird.

You made your way to the evidence room, and opened the locker to all the evidence. It was huge. Stacks of files and papers were shoved to the back, along with things in the car pockets and on his person. There was a shit tonne of crap but you were mainly looking for his phone, or two phones.

They were at the back underneath his jacket. He had three phones. You looked through the first one but it was just normal contacts, and you found out he was married. The second phone had weirder contacts, and you tried looking through old messages but they were all deleted. The third phone had contacts of agents. Just like you.

You looked through the files they had found. It was all written in code. Just like the one he had whispered before Bucky had stupidly killed him. "3, 16, 15, 3, 5, 17, 12." you repeated, "19, 16, 1, 16, 5, 19, 5, 19, 1, 3, 9, 1, 26."

After searching everything in the locker for clues you eventually gave up, but put the third phone in the pocket of your hoodie. You met with Nat and Steve who were sat drinking mediocre coffee and reading over case files. "I looked over his stuff," you said, "I don't thin it's much use so I'm gonna head back to the tower and see if Tony dug anything up," you handed Nat the key and made your way back to the car.

As the doors to Shield closed behind you you came face to face with an unimpressed looking Bucky. "What the fuck?" he asked you, his expression showed you he was clearly pissed. "Do you ever tell people where you're going or do you let them figure it out by themselves,"

"I told Tony," you protested, not wanting to get into an argument. "I thought he would tell you or that you would ask someone where I was. It's not my fault you're an idiot."

Bucky just scoffed and followed you as you walked to your car. "What?" you said as you got inside. He shook his head and walked over to his car which was parked outside the doors of the headquarters. You smiled at him as he looked back before driving off.

When you arrived back at the tower you headed straight for your room, locking the door behind you. You looked through the phone, with all the messages from every contact deleted it was hard to understand how it worked. When he had messaged you it wasn't in code. But was that how he talked to his other agents?

Your contact was still there. Agent 249. You decided to click on the contact a couple down from yours. Agent 251. 'Agent?' You messaged.

After a few minutes a response came through. 21, 1, 19 was the response. You sighed, throwing the phone across the floor. A light knock came at your door, causing you to jump. "Who is it?" you shouted, kicking the phone under your bed.

"Bucky," he said, trying the door handle. "Are you okay?"

"Um fine," you said, opening the door. Only wide enough so he could see the far wall. "Is there something you need?" Bucky eyed you suspiciously but you kept an innocent smile plastered to your face.

But then the phone under your bed went off. It was a loud beep, unlike your usual ringtone. Shit. "What was that?" asked Bucky, trying to look past you.

"Nothing," you said, "Just uh looking for a new ringtone,"

"No you're not," he said, "Why are you acting weird?" you shrugged, making a confused face. Praying the phone didn't go off again. "Is it because of yesterday, with the whole me killing him thing because I'm sorry for not listening to you-"

"Yes that's why," you said, "You killed our only lead and now I'm trying to work out this stupid code, so can you leave me alone please?"

"y/n let me help," Bucky protested.

"You've done enough," you responded, closing the door in his face and locking it. You felt so bad for doing that. Of course you were annoyed the only lead was lost but you were trying to figure out other ways. You fought the urge to find him and apologise but ignored it.

19, 15, 9, 15, 19, 1, 24, 1, 9, 21, 26, 16, 17, 12, 13, 5, 21. A new message from the agent. If you knew what it meant you could work out what the hell was going on.

Bucky headed for Tony's lab, he opened the door and let it slam closed. Bruce and Tony both turned to look at him. "I need your help," he said, throwing the paper with the code that your old boss had used. It had what he had repeated before he killed him written across the top. "We need to work out what the hell this means. And show y/n that she's not alone,"

Authors Note: I apologise for how long this took. I've been watching (or rewatching lol) outer banks 2. And when I tell you I am obsessed. Anyway I hope you are all okay and having a good summer, and thank you for getting this book to 100k reads <3