seven

JAX

Jackson and I've been at the hospital all night and most of the morning. It's about eight in the morning and none of us have gotten any sleep. Jackson's been a nervous wreck since Aliya took that bullet for him. I don't think I've seen him cry this much since we heard our parents passed.

It was more of an angry cry, though. He had to leave the hospital a few times to take a drive. It was hard seeing my brother like this, but I understood his pain and his anger.

That asshole, known as Aliya's father, put a bullet in her. As cold as it sounds, it was meant for Jackson but Aliya wasn't letting that happen. Now she's in a room, getting surgery and we have yet to know what's going on.

Veronica had to go through surgery as well. She had a fractured rib along with a few internal injuries. I'm honestly surprised either of them survived this long in that hell.

Kevin left a little over ten minutes ago, getting us some food. None of us haven't eaten since we've gotten here and I'm honestly not in the mood to eat at all. I just wanna know what the fuck is going on with Aliya.

"Jax, your leg has been bouncing for the last hour," Jackson mumbled from beside me.

"I can't help it, alright? They haven't told us shit since we been here and it's pissing me off," I said back, running my hands down my face.

"You're not the only one impatient," he sighed, looking at me. "Just take a breather, alright? It won't do any of us any good if we're stressed the whole time."

When I didn't say anything, I caught him looking at me again with another deep sigh.

"Look, I... I'm sorry about Aliya, Jax. In a way, it is my fault-"

"Don't, just don't. It's not anyone's fault but the dick who tried to shoot you and ended up shooting her. The good thing is, it wasn't fatal and she'll be alright."

Jackson simply nodded then looked forward, bouncing his leg. I looked at the double doors and saw Kevin walking inside with two bags of food from McDonald's, along with five cups.

Jackson grabbed one of the bags, handing me my share before grabbing his. Kevin took out his food then sat down across from us, letting out a tired sigh.

"How come you helped them out? Shouldn't you be as evil as the asshole who took them?" I asked him, looking at him.

"At first I didn't know who Aliya was. Veronica, obviously her mother, and I, are married. We got married a few years after she left Aliya with Marcus. The only time I saw Aliya was when Veronica showed me a baby picture of her," he explained and that's when Jackson spoke up.

"So how'd you know who Aliya was if all you saw was a baby picture?"

"Marcus mentioned who her mother was when he brought her. When I took a good look at Aliya, that's when I realized. I seen Veronica a few months after Aliya came and told her. She told me to keep Aliya safe and I did my best. Now... here we are."

"I have a question," I said, putting a few fries in my mouth.

"Ask away," Kevin replied.

"Why didn't you try to convince Veronica to get Aliya back all those years. Why'd she wait eleven years to see her?"

He sighed, leaning his head back. "She was scared that Aliya would hate her. Obviously we both know what she did was selfish. She wanted to see Aliya sooner but she was wrapped up in her own head that she waited too long. Way too long."