twenty-two

A day has passed since we've 'moved in' to our temporary place. Daniel made it here this morning and went to his room to unpack, then gave himself a little look around. Mama and Kevin were still asleep, so I was up by myself, munching on cereal.

It was freezing in here and it took me five minutes to find the thermostat, so I could turn the air up a little.

I swung my legs while looking around and shoving spoonfuls of cereal in my mouth. My eyes felt a little heavy since I wasn't able to sleep much last night. I tossed and turned for a few hours until I couldn't handle it anymore.

I even tried taking a warm shower to relax my body, but that didn't even help. My sleep was finally getting better until it just wasn't anymore. Maybe it's because of the note and us moving to a new spot, it's all just so much at once. I'm just hoping this doesn't last long.

"Hey, Aliya."

I turned my head and Daniel was standing across from me, smiling sheepishly.

"Oh hey, Daniel. I thought you would've been asleep," I said, eating another spoonful.

"Nah, I forgot a bag in my car so I had to finish unpacking. What're you doing up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep," I replied, drinking the milk from the bowl.

"So... w-what's the situation with your dad-"

"That's not my dad," I interrupted, putting the bowl in the sink.

"Sorry, sorry," he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

I let out a deep sigh before turning back to him.

"Malcolm... was abusive from the start. After mama left, he started drinking and letting his emotions out on me. It's been like that for years until he eventually kidnapped me and kept me for two years," I explained, trying to swallow down the large lump in my throat.

"Y-You went through all of that, even during school?"

I nodded, saying, "Only Jax and Jackson knew."

"Why didn't you tell anyone o-or ask for help, Aliya?"

"Because no one would've helped. He can lie his way out of everything. I only would've gotten myself in more trouble if I opened my mouth to say something."

"I guess I understand-"

"No... you couldn't possibly understand, Daniel. You have no idea what being abused feels like, you have no idea what putting your family's life in jeopardy feels like. Don't say you understand if you don't."

"Alright, I get that. But I could've tried to help, or something. I-I bet even Natalie could've."

"So I can put more people I love in the hands of an abusive psychopath? No thanks," I chuckled humorlessly. "But thank you."

"Anytime. Besides all of that happening, you been okay?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Healing well, trying to get my sleep together, and all that good stuff. How about you?"

"I've been alright. I kinda got a full family now, so it feels good," he admitted, smiling.

"Yeah... I guess so," I said, smiling back.

"So where's lover boy at?"

"Still asleep. I didn't want to wake him."

"Yeah, the whole house is asleep," he chuckled, sitting beside me. "Guess it's just you and me for now."

"Yeah. Hey... I have a question."

"Ask away."

"When did you meet my mom?" I asked, looking at him.