twenty-one

Those two hours felt like twenty minutes. Maybe it was because I slept the whole drive. The point is, we stopped to get food and use that bathroom, the usual road trip stuff.

I put a bit of soap in my hand, rubbing my hands together and spreading it around. Twisting the knobs to the sink, I placed my hands under the water and rinsed off the soap while humming to myself and taking glances in the mirror.

There were still slight bags under my eyes, but they're slowly going away.

I shook my hands in the sink then grabbed paper towels, making sure to thoroughly dry my hands off. After tossing it in the trash, I walked out of the bathroom and went to look at the food and snacks. I grabbed a soda, then went off to fix myself a hotdog and nachos. My stomach continued to growl while I fixed it, and it was embarrassingly loud.

Once I had everything I needed, I went towards everyone else and placed my things on the counter. Jax brought an arm around me, kissing the top of my head. I smiled at him then kissed his cheek, wrapping my arms around him.

"Did everybody grab everything they wanted?" Mama asked, looking at us.

"Looks like it," Jackson answered.

"We're all good," I added.

"Alright then. Grab your things and head back
to the car."

Jax grabbed my and his bags and led me out of the store. I held my hand in his as he helped me into the car, handing me our bags of food. I pulled out my nachos and opened the container, placing a nacho in my mouth. Jax chuckled when I started to bounce in my seat, licking the cheese off of my lips.

He dug into the bag and took out his water bottle, twisting off the cap and taking quick chugs. Jax then looked over to me, glancing at my nachos then looking up at me again. I chuckled when he began to pout, so I placed a chip into his mouth and he chewed happily.

The doors shut closed and the car roared to life, before we left the parking lot. Jax and I continued to share the nachos during the ride back and we even caught Jackson taking pictures of us at the worst times.

They almost broke out into a fight when Jax threw a jalapeño at Jackson, which almost hit him in the eye.

"Just wait until we get to the house, I'm beating your ass!" Jackson yelled, glaring.

"You aren't gonna beat shit!"

"Will you two shut up?"

I smacked them both behind their heads and they both grunted, before turning away from each other. I shook my head and finished the rest of my nachos, then grabbed my soda from the bag. My head went to Jax's shoulder as I twisted off the cap, sipping quickly. With a sigh, I closed it back and licked my lips before placing it back in the bag.

Jax pulled me on his lap, wrapping his arms around my waist. I brought an arm around his neck and looked out the window, watching the trees pass by along with a few speeding cars.

According to Kevin, we weren't that far from the new house. He even mentioned that Daniel was joining us later on, since he wanted to drive himself. We've barely talked since we first saw each other again, but maybe that's for the best. A lot of stuff happened between us and more stuff happened even after that. Just some stuff we have to get over, I guess.

"Hey, we're here," Kevin called out, pulling into a driveway.

I moved off of Jax's lap and looked out of the window, staring up at the house.

It was huge.

Jackson stepped out the car and pulled the seat up, allowing me then Jax to step out. I don't even think huge is the word for this house. Mama walked ahead of us and unlocked the door with a pin then opening it, letting us go first.