twenty-eight

I quickly sat up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily and clutching my shirt. The sun was just setting and it gave the room an orangey tone to it. Frantically looking around, the room was empty and the only audible sound was my breathing.

My body was trembling and I didn't understand what was wrong. Was it a panic attack, anxiety attack? I honestly couldn't tell.

Ignoring the wobbly legs, I stood out of bed and walked to the door, opening it and going to the living room. The boys were cleaning up the kitchen, and I'm guessing mama and Kevin were in their room.

Jax was the first to look up and when he did I leaned against the wall, when it grew difficult to hold myself up. He came around the counter and walked to me, cupping my cheeks.

"Jesus, Liya. What happened?"

"I-I don't know. I just woke up and I couldn't breath and it's like my body was paralyzed."

"She's been sleeping a lot, so it can't be lack of sleep," Jackson said, looking my way.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Jax then asked, pushing my hair out of my face.

"If I did, I can't remember it."

"Come on, we'll get you in the tub then I'll make you some food."

My arms went around his neck when he picked picked me up and carried me to the bathroom. When he made it inside, he placed me on the sink then went to the tub, turning on the water. I leaned my head back against the mirror, resting my eyes a little.

I finally gotten my breathing to normal, but my  body was still shaking. My eyes fluttered open when Jax gently cupped my cheek, looking over my face.

"Is it alright if I undress you?" He asked, pecking my lips.

I nodded my head and sat up so he could pull off my shirt. He grabbed the waistband of my sweatpants then pulled them down, being careful not to hit my thigh. After helping me off the counter, I slowly unwrapped the bandage then tossed it into the trash.

Jax went out to grab some towels and extra clothes while I stripped out my underwear then slowly stepped into the tub, turning off the water in the process. I leaned back against the cold wall, hugging myself and sighing deeply.

I still don't understand why I woke up the way I did. Maybe I did have a nightmare and just don't remember it clearly. It was hurting my head just thinking about it, so I left it alone and started to scrub my body down. I bent up my legs, scrubbing them down, being cautious of my thigh.

After I was finished, I rinsed my body off and ran my fingers through my hair. I leaned back again, twirling my hands in the water while humming quietly. Jax walked into the bathroom then looked at me with a smile.

"Feeling better?" He asked, unfolding the towel.

I nodded, smiling back. "A whole lot better."

"Good, 'cause your food is ready. Let's get you out and dried up."

He extended out his hand, helping me stand before wrapping the towel around me. I slowly stepped out then walked to the sink, drying myself off as he brought me a fresh pair of clothes. He gave me a quick kiss on my lips then walked out, closing the bathroom door behind him.

I dropped my towel and began to dress myself. Once I was fully clothed, I brushed through my hair then tied it into a low ponytail. I then grabbed my ointment and an extra bandage from under the cabinet then began to apply the ointment to my thigh. After I wrapped my thigh with the bandage, I washed my hands and saved everything back then walked out of the bathroom.

I went straight to the kitchen, my stomach growling when a delicious aroma hit my nostrils. There was already a plate on the counter with food piled on it and a glass of juice beside it. I sat on the stool in front of it and picked up the fork, digging in.

Jax chuckled quietly, sitting on the counter next to the plate and kissing the top of my head. I swung my legs slightly, looking at the tv in the living room and continuing to stuff my mouth.

I glanced behind me when Daniel's extra loud footsteps came from down the hall. He rubbed his eyes with a yawn then stretched his arms.

"Enjoyed your nap?" Jax chuckled.

"Hell yeah, I did," Daniel replied, smiling tiredly. "It was so worth it."

I shook my head, stuffing my mouth again and chewing.

"Looks like I'm not the only one who napped," Daniel then said, looking my way.

"Just a little one and then I had a bath," I told him.

"Glad you're feeling okay."

"Thanks. You have some drool on your cheek."

"Aw man," he groaned, walking to the sink.

I shook my head, chuckling and quickly finished my plate. Jax took it and hopped off the counter, bringing it to the sink. I grabbed my cup and took quick sips of my drink.

"Baby, did you take your medicine?" Jax asked, looking my way.

"I don't think I did," I replied. "I'll go get them."

"No," he said, stopping me from getting up. "I'll go get them."

He kissed the top of my head then went down the hall, to our room. I laid my head on the counter, tracing over the ring of the cup. When Jax came back, he handed me the pill and I sat up, tossing it back and taking a swig of juice.

"I'm gonna have to start leaving you some reminders," he chuckled, pushing my hair out of my face.

"Sorry, sorry. It just flies by me at this point," I chuckled, getting up and putting my cup in the sink.

"I'm guessing Jackson's asleep too?" Daniel asked, walking towards us.

"Yeah, but he went to asleep when I ran Aliya a bath. So, he might be out for a while," Jax answered, running a hand through his hair.

"It's all we can do here anyways. That, and stuff our faces," Daniel snorted, leaning against the counter.

"You're the only one complaining," I chuckled.

"Because I'm bored. Even my game isn't entertaining me," he then whined. "I know it's safe for us to be on lockdown, but goddamn."

"It is boring here, but at least we got food and a place to wash our asses," Jax said. "It's not all bad."

"It would've been better if we didn't have to hide out here," Daniel sighed.

"It's not like we have any other options right now," I mumbled.

"I know, I know. I'm going make some noodles."

Daniel went off to the pantry while I just shook my head. Jackson emerged from the hall, yawning loudly and going straight to the cabinets. He placed his hand on top of Daniel's head, easily moving him out of the way then grabbing a bag of chips.

"Hey! I was right there," Daniel complained.

"Clearly," Jackson mumbled, opening the bag.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed," I chuckled.

"Something like that," he sighed, sitting next to me and resting his head on my shoulder.

"You good?" I asked him, taking a handful of chips.

Jackson nodded his head then stuffed his mouth again. I shrugged it off then kept stealing chips from his bag. It got quiet and I eventually zoned out, tracing the marble pattern on the counter.

I just want to live without fear. Is that too much to ask?