epilogue

5 YEARS LATER

"Jax! You didn't stir the gumbo, idiot!" Jackson yelled, jogging to the kitchen.

"You're complaining, you do it!" Jax yelled back from the bathroom.

"Why do you always insist on yelling. This house already has a huge enough echo as it is," I said, pouring food into the dog bowl.

"You should be used to this by now," he chuckled.

Five years later and still dealing with Jax and Jackson's bickering. Only difference is now, we no longer have to watch our back. Kevin, mama, and Daniel lived together and they were better and happier.

At first, Jackson liked having his own space since Jax and I got us a place. But he didn't like being alone, so we eventually let him move in. He stays downstairs while me and Jax stay upstairs. So, it's us three, including our german shepherd. She was just a puppy, but I loved her so much.

"There you go," I said after pouring her water.

I walked off to the kitchen, saving everything then peeking into the pot of gumbo.

"Ah, ah. Get out of there," Jackson said, nudging me away.

"It smells good," I said, smiling.

"No thanks to your fiancé."

"I heard that, dickhead," Jax said, walking out of the bathroom.

"Hey, baby," I smiled, kissing him quickly.

"Hey," he replied, kissing me back. "Were your parents still coming over?"

"I think so, yeah," I told him.

Oh, another detail I forgot to mention. After everything happened, Kevin and mama talked, and he decided to adopt me. He's taken the time to get to know me and actually be what a father is supposed to be. So, legally, Kevin is my dad and Daniel is my brother. It feels good.

A knock came from the door and I walked around the counter, jogging to the door and opening it up. Mama looked up at me with a cheesy smile and I returned it, engulfing her in a hug.

"Hey, honey. I brought a cake," she said, kissing my cheek.

"Ma, you didn't have to," I told her.

"Oh hush. It gave me an excuse to bake," she chuckled, walking inside.

Kevin followed in after, kissing my cheek.

"How you doing, Liya?" He asked, smiling.

"Really good, actually. And you?"

"Better than ever. Damn, it smells good."

He walked inside and went straight to the kitchen. I shook my head then looked at Daniel, grinning. He walked up to me, shaking my hand then going along with the handshake we made. With a chuckle, I hugged him tightly then closed the front door.

"You made gumbo?" Daniel asked, walking with me to the kitchen.

"Jax started it, Jackson's finishing it up."