twenty-six

"Ma," I whined. "I'm not fragile."

Mama was in her overprotective mood and she was making sure I didn't lift a finger. Of course no one else disagreed, since they were doing the same with Jax also.

We're staying out the house for one more night until we can figure out where to go. Our places aren't safe so we're definitely not going there. Everyone's being picky about staying at a hotel, because they don't all want to share a room. It's just a whole mess.

So, our main options are to either rent out another house or go back home but just be way more careful this time. But after a brick was thrown into our window, I don't feel comfortable or safe in my own home. That isn't fair. We shouldn't have to be afraid in our own house.

"You need to take it easy for the time being. It may be minor injuries, but still," Mama said, handing me a plate of food.

"Ma, come on. I walked to the car perfectly fine, along with walking in the house," I said, sighing.

"Doesn't matter. You and Jax need to take it easy."

"But-"

"No," she said sternly.

I sighed in defeat and shoved a forkful of food into my mouth. Ma placed a cup of juice on the table in front of me then went to the back room, I'm guessing to check on Jax. I crossed my legs and brought my eyes to the tv as a I continued to eat.

Daniel jumped over the couch, landing beside me, almost making me drop my plate.

"Damn it, Daniel," I chuckled. "You almost dropped my food."

"Sorry," he chuckled. "How you feeling?"

"Shitty," I replied. "I hate feeling fragile."

"You'll heal, Liya. It's not major shit," he said, patting my shoulder.

"Yeah, I know. Shit is just always happening, we can never get a break."

"That's what happens when your dad is a revengeful psychopath."

"True," I chuckled, shaking my head. "I just don't get what's the point. Like, why go through all of this?"

"Maybe he's just one of those people who doesn't like when they can't get what they want. Like a big baby."

"That's how he's been acting. Having people track me, throw a brick through our window, drive our car off the road... It's ridiculous," I sighed, shaking my head.

"Hopefully, we can get this over with. I'm tired of fearing for my life and I'm tired of my family fearing for their lives as well," Daniel said, his eyes staring forward. "All because a grown man can't accept that he lost his family all on his own."

I looked at him, slowly taking a bite of my food. He looked back at me, humming.

"You shouldn't have to fear for your life. You missed out on your graduation with your friends all because... your father decided to kidnap you. Ruined your life, broke you, and tortured you... all because of a grudge. What kind of man does that to his daughter?"

My eyes slightly widened. This is the first time I've ever heard Daniel speak like this, and it was crazy to hear. I didn't know it affected him this much.

"Daniel, I... I don't know what to say," I whispered.

"You don't have to say anything. Just know I'm here for you. I always have been."

I nodded my head, smiling. Daniel grabbed my empty plate and stood up, taking it to the kitchen. I grabbed my cup off the table, drinking my juice and reaching for the remote. Daniel took his place back beside me and opened a bag of chips, stuffing his mouth.