fourteen

"Wait a minute. Is Kevin your dad?" I asked Daniel, bringing my eyes back to him.

"Yeah and I'm assuming Veronica... is your mom."

"Well isn't this just great? A good ole' fucked up family reunion," Jax mumbled.

"Aliya, I wanted to tell you but-"

"But you didn't," I interrupted, looking at her. "It's bad enough you left me to get married but you also started a brand new fucking family."

"It's not like that, Aliya," she said.

"Then what is it like, huh?" I asked, my voice cracking. "Tell me what's it like to have a brand new family."

"Aliya, you know that's not it. I wanted to come back for you and I did. I'm here aren't I?"

"After you abandoned me! What part don't you understand about that? You left me for twelve years, mom! I was five!" I yelled. "How could you have gotten over that or forgotten that?!"

"It's not that I forgot, I-I thought we've gotten past that, Aliya."

I shook my head with a scoff, running my hands down my face. Jax put his hand on my shoulder, gently rubbing it as I breathed out slowly.

"Aliya... I won't say that I know how you feel. But I am sorry. I can kind of feel your pain," Daniel said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's fine," I mumbled, sniffling quietly.

"Aliya..." My mom started before I cut her off.

"It's fine, okay? Just- I'm sorry for bothering you."

I stood up from the sofa and went to the front door, pushing their out of my face.

"Liya, please don't go."

Before my hand touched the doorknob, I sighed then turned back to mom.

"I really am sorry, sweetheart. I'm going to do everything I can to get you to forgive me for everything I've done wrong. I wasn't a mother to you, I wasn't there, and I left you in the worst situation possible. I should've been there for my daughter. Leaving without you was the worst decision I've ever made. I am so sorry. I just want my daughter back."

My eyes slightly widened along with a few tears falling down my cheeks when I listened to her words. We've had talks about this before but she's never said all of this. I guess I was being a little harsh with all of this. Maybe it's time I actually give her a real chance.

"Um, Aliya. I'm not speaking for your mother or anything but... you said how she started a family without you. It wouldn't really be one without you in it, don't ya think?" Kevin asked, a small smile forming.

I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle before looking at him. I brought my hand up and wiped my eyes with a sigh.

"We'll do a little test run and see how it goes," I said with a small smile.

Kevin smiled back at me then opened his arms for a hug. I walked to him, hugging him gently and caught a glimpse of my mom smiling at us. When I pulled away, I looked over at Daniel and he smiled as well with a thumbs up. I shook my head with a smile then looked at my mom.

"So, where should we start?" I asked.

"Well, the boys are about to go to the store, we could figure something out."

"I am kind of hungry."

"Babe, you already ate," Jax whispered in my ear.

"It's free food, shut up."