twenty-four

"Dinner's ready!" Kevin called out from the kitchen.

"Liya, come on. It's time to eat."

I groaned quietly, turning on my side and stretching my limbs. Daniel chuckled from above me before shaking me until I eventually gave up and sat upright. I stretched my arms, feeling my bones crack before attempting to rub the sleep from my eyes.

"Come on, before they still all of the food," Daniel chuckled again before helping me up.

I followed him into the kitchen and grabbed the plate mama handed me. It contained baked chicken, green beans, and rice with gravy.

She handed me a fork then I sat at the table along with Jackson and Kevin. Jax was helping my mom fix plates and drinks, while Daniel was trying to get extras before he even ate his first plate.

I shook my head and stabbed into the green beans, stuffing some in my mouth. The other three sat at the table, digging into their plates. Kevin and mama were being all lovey dovey from time to time and Daniel was fake gagging from beside them. Jackson scrolled on his phone while taking bites of his food and Jax couldn't keep his hand away from my thigh.

I smacked his hand and narrowed my eyes at him while I ate. Jax grunted quietly and looked away, continuing to eat while sneaking side glances at me.

"Stop being a perv," Jackson blurted and it took everything in me not to let my face heat up.

"Shut up," Jax muttered, stuffing his mouth.

"Anyways," Mama dragged out, wiping her mouth. "I hope everyone's comfortable."

"Better than I expected," Daniel said, taking a bite of his chicken.

"Yeah, it's all good," Jax said, leaning back. "Just sucks that we had to leave our places."

Mama sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"I know, but it's just until we know that Marcus isn't a danger to us."

"He'll always be a danger to us as long as he's alive," I said, picking at my food. "He won't stop and we know this already."

"And until we can figure out what to do, this is all we can do."

I dropped my fork onto the plate when the lights in the house shut off. We all rose to our feet and I frantically looked around the house, feeling my heartbeat start to pick up. I jumped slightly when I felt a hand on my wrist, but immediately calmed down when I saw it was Jax.

He pulled me closer to him and our eyes both went to my mom and Kevin when their phones lit up with a text. Mom's eyes started to water and a hand went to her mouth. Kevin, on the other hand, went pale.

"W-What is it?" I hesitantly asked.

Mama simply shook her head.

"I-I can't tell you, Aliya."

When I looked at Kevin, he shook his head as well.

"Just tell me. What is it?" I asked again.

When they didn't answer, I walked to her and took the phone. Once I saw what it is, my eyes widened and a sob broke out of me.

It was a video... from the day I was raped.

Mama quickly snatched the phone from me, but I couldn't move. I felt paralyzed, but I could still feel the tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I-I'm sorry, Aliya. I-I didn't know he would..." her voice trailed and all I could do was clamp my hands over my ears.

It's hard enough not living that nightmare every time I shut my eyes, but now I had to actually witness from a different point of view.