II Zoey's P.O.V

I sighed, tiredly as I walked through the forest with my starter beside me. I had just lost my last contest, leaving me with still only two ribbons. For now, I've decided to take a break before Hearthome City's Contest. Catch a pokemon or two before then, too. I need to have more combos than just Glameow and Misdreavus. Especially, since that contest is a double performance one.

This is why I was heading towards the nearest river to do some fishing. As I reached the riverside, I heard a very familiar voice talking loudly with her pokemon.

I chuckled and turned to my starter: "She doesn't change, does she Glameow?" I asked my friend, who simply laughed back and rushed ahead of me. My partner adores Dawn and her pokemon. I shook my head and followed her. "Hey, Dawn!" I greeted her with a smile.

Like last time, Aipom was the first one to notice me, but the others followed rapidly, this time not waiting for me to speak. They all greeted me with a smile and skipped to me excitedly. Glameow, herself, practically leaped into Dawn's waiting arms. The sight warmed my heart for some reason.

"Zoey!" She called out, just as excited as her pokemon. "What brings you here?"

"The same as you," I replied pointing at her fishing rod. "Looking for another pokemon?"

"No! I have my hands full with the ones I've already have." She joked, laughing. "Especially, since I caught Pachirisu and Oddish evolved into Gloom."

I looked at the grass pokemon clearly recalling how it happened. Everyone who had been watching Sinnoh Now a week ago would. At the time I was lounging at the Pokemon Center after my loss, looking for something funny to lift my spirits. So, I ended up choosing Sinnoh Now, just for the fact that the interaction of the reporter Rhonda and the boom operator Jack is the funniest thing.

I didn't care much about the Twin Champs, as they called them... or at least, that was until Rhonda went crazy having spotted The Saint. For a second, the program changed from a documentation of the Twin Champs to an interview with The Saint. Not that the trainers minded, you could practically see the stars in their eyes as they looked at Ash. They were practically preening when Ash praised them at how well they've raised their Quilava and Croconaw. Even recalling how not that long ago his Typhlosion and Feraligatr were in their second stage.

Their talk led to a fight against them, with Dawn as Ash's partner. Though Ash did promise that he would only use one of his newest members, so it would be a fair fight. Let's just say that the moment he released Pupitar the internet broke. Even to this date, a week later, magazines and T.V shows still talk about how the Larvitar he had once returned to his mother, had decided to go back to his side. Those kinds of soap opera stories had girls all over the regions crying and believing in fairy tales. Not that I blamed them, it's quite the sweet story. More surprising at it being a reality.

Dawn, herself, had chosen Oddish, who looked quite close to evolving. At first sight, you could see that Ash chose Pupitar to be Quilava's opponent and, Dawn, Oddish to fight against Croconaw. But when the fight began it was clear that Ash had taken the role of defender, while leaving Dawn in charge of the offense. Which ended up with Oddish getting badly hurt but pushing her enough to evolve behind the protection of a rock wall, that Pupitar had risen to defend her and give her time to evolve in peace.

What did catch my eye, was the last part of the battle, soon after Quilava had destroyed Pupitar's rock wall with Brick Break. Croconaw had used Surf, which had been deviated by Pupitar using Fissure on the ground. Water following the paths with less resistance. Then Pupitar using Sand Attack to block Quilava's Flamethrower and surround the enemy in a cloud of ash and sand. No wonder Ash was given the title of Terrain Master.

Gloom then, cunningly, used Stun Spore on Croconaw, paralyzing the water pokemon, and Sleep Powder on Quilava, putting the fire pokemon to sleep. She then took out Croconaw with a barricade of Razor Leaf and Pupitar defeating Quilava with a powerful Earth Power.

That fight had given me the strength to go back out and train with my pokemon. The inspiration to go and look for a new pokemon to train and win the next contest.

"I can see that," I said. "But then, why are you fishing?" I returned my gaze to the coordinator and asked her.

"Well, Ash was the one to give me Aipom and I promised him a pokemon that loves battles in return," Dawn answered me with a bright smile, as Aipom jumped on her shoulder. "I've heard from some trainers that there is a powerful Buizel in this river, so I decided to come ahead and catch them, while Ash finishes what he had to do back at the town."

"Something I should be worried about?" I asked her, carefully, as Glameow tensed at my feet.

"No!" Dawn rapidly assured me. "It's just that on our way we ended up meeting with Gardenia."

"The Gym Leader of Eterna City?" I asked her surprised.

"Yes, it seems that she was looking for some pokemon to catch." She replied. "So, as you can guess she recognized Ash and they ended up having their gym battle then and there. Ash's Glaceon defeated her Cherubi, but then her Turtwig defeated Ash's Turtwig. So, Ash used his Chimchar to finish the second battle. But that meant that by the time Gardenia released her Roserade he was already tired. He did end up doing some damage, but by the end of the battle he lost and Glaceon had to finish it."

"So, he now has two Sinnoh medals? Good for him! But I was honestly expecting a more one-sided battle than that one." I commented.

"That was the Oreburgh Gym battle," Dawn told me. "It's just that Glaceon has only had evolved recently... like three months ago, I think. Not to mention, that he only caught Turtwig and Chimchar when he came to Sinnoh. As good as Ash is, they are still new catches."

"I see... but, sorry, what does his fighting Gardenia at the Eterna Forest have to do with him having to stay back for some business?" I inquired, still confused.

"That's because he had to change the pokemon he has at hand for his Hearthome Gym battle. Not to mention, he had to stay at the Pokemon Center to assist Meganium as she gets her Pokemon Nurse Certification." Dawn explained to me, cheerfully.

"What? The same Meganium that was pregnant?" I asked her, stunned.

"Yeah, he was planning on her getting it back at Jubilife City, but they had to wait until she gave birth and recovered. It seems that Meganium had been helping Professor Oak at the ranch ever since Ash's journey through Johto." She informed me.

"Wow... that's a long time," I commented, recalling Ash's official trainer's page. "I'm surprised she hasn't gotten certified much earlier." Dawn made a noise of agreement. "Talking about Hearthome City, are you planning on entering its contest?"

"I was not aware that Hearthome City had a contest," she replied surprised. "I was planning on entering the contest a town over Eterna City. As previously I wouldn't have had time with Ash having his gym battle the previous day. But now that he had had his battle, we won't need to stay that long at Eterna City, and I should be able to make it in time."

"That's great Dawn!" Honestly happy for her. "But yes, Hearthome City does have a very popular contest. Many high-experienced coordinators will make their way there just for the contest."

"Wow... that would make anyone nervous," Dawn replied, smiling awkwardly at me.

"Well, it is a Double Performance contest, which is of a quite high level on its own. But I am planning on entering as preparation for the Grand Festival." I tried to calm her down. "Still, I am planning on doing our best and win the Hearthome Contest Ribbon!"

"I will not make it easy for you either!" She told me, the fire in her eyes returning.

"So, are you planning on entering as well?" I asked her excitedly, trying to keep my cool façade.

Though no one could really blame me. It was exciting to have a contest against Dawn to look forward to.

"Of course!" Dawn assured me.

"Gla-meooow!" Glameow interrupted us, pointing at Dawn's fishing rod.

"Ah! It finally caught something!" She exclaimed. "Let's hope its Buizel!"

I laughed at her panicking form and took a few steps back. My own fishing time can wait, I really want to see her try to catch the infamous Buizel.