III Gary's P.O.V

As soon as the Sinnoh Grand Festival finished, Ash's gang decided to relocate to Gramp's Ranch until the Sinnoh League started. They trained there for the following three weeks and welcomed the evolution of another member of their family, Greninja. The water-dark pokemon had finally achieved his dream of evolving to his final stage.

Watching Ash train was...overwhelming to say the least.

They destroyed half of the ranch, daily. However, what made me choke in disbelief, is the fact that afterward, they built the whole thing back again. It was an impressive but intimidating scene. Watching what Ash is capable of achieving after a year of working hard and seriously, and making smart decisions... made me wonder what would he have been capable of if he had acted the same way since his first day as a trainer? Or what he will be able to achieve with time?

Luckily, before I descended into the rabbit hole of the 'what if?', we had to go to the Lilly of the Valley so Ash could sign himself in, in time. The first two preliminary rounds went fast for most of Ash's friends. They were a breeze for Paul, Nando, and Barry. Ash, on the other hand, had to complicate his life and use his newly caught pokemon. For the Top 256, he used Staraptor, Grotle, and Infernape. Meanwhile, for the Top 128: Glliscor, Floatzel, and Torracat. I understood what he was doing, this was the league of the region of his Sinnoh pokemon. Luckily, he used them in the first rounds, where the competition is the weakest. Smarter than what he is used to doing, using them for the whole league.

At the moment we were watching Ash wipe the floor with a Psychic Specialist, who had used a Hypno, a Xatu, and a Grumping. Ash in response had sent out his Crawdaunt, Swellow, and Snorlax, who at the moment was knocking the Grumping out with a Body Slam.

"Auch!" Dawn winced. "Being on the receiving end of a Snorlax's Body Slam must hurt like a bitch!"

"I said it once, and I'll say it again, that Snorlax moves way too fast for being of his species," I commented, shaking my head bemusedly, as I clapped along with the crowd.

I chuckled as I watched the crowd go wild, cheering almost in synchrony for The Saint. I will hold it over Ash forever. He used to make fun of me for having a couple of girls cheerleading for me, while he now has a whole stadium doing the same for him.

"He'll be facing Nando next," Riley commented. "From being the runner-up in the Sinnoh Grand Festival to a Top 32 finish in the Sinnoh League."

"Don't count him out so soon," I replied with a smirk.

"You think he'll win against Ash?" Dawn turned to me with started confusion.

"What I am saying is to never say never," I answered. "Everyone counted Ash out at the beginning and thought I was a clear winner, he finished better than me in the two Pokemon Leagues we competed in together," I recalled that time with equal fondness and guilt. "Ash might be considered the Top Dog now, but his heart will always be with the Underdog. After all, he used to be one."

"I couldn't have come up with wiser words," Lucario smiled at me proudly, making me blush slightly. I ignored it, of course. I had a reputation to hold.

"Also, there's no shame in a Top 32 finish for your first Pokemon League," I exclaimed in fake indignation. "I had a Top 32 finish on my first Pokemon League!"

Riley and Lucario stood up and went to get us some drinks and snacks, while Dawn and I stayed to guard our seats. Normally, during the intervale between matches, we would go backstage to be with Ash. But the fame of The Saint after the incarceration of Team Galactic is over the roofs. Poor Ashy is going from his private dressing-room to the arena and back, no detour, unless he wanted to get mobbed by fans and paparazzi. Luckily, Barry, Nando, and Paul were visiting his dressing-room and keeping him company.