IV Reggie's P.O.V

I did not expect to find Elite Four Flint on my way to the Sunyshore Gym, then again I did not know what to expect from my trip to Sunyshore City. All I knew is that Team Galatic was finally over and Paul had decided to pay me a visit to Veilstone City, to stay and train. He asked for my advice...

I was stunned, to say the least. This year was one surprise after the other, and all of it revolved around Ash. It all moved too fast and left me unable to catch my breath. Then again, from what I've been hearing it has always been like that. The only difference is that now the whole world knew it too... Ash was someone very important.

However, when I heard that Riley and Dawn were traveling on their own, with no sight of Ash. I got worried and spontaneously decided to go to Sunyshore City.

I just hope that I did not overstep, I thought worriedly as Elite Four Flint and I headed for the city's Gym.

The sight that welcomed us was one that I will never forget. At the front gate of the Sunyshore Gym, Ash had the Gym Leader on his knees before him as he shook him by the collar and shouted at him. I don't think I've ever heard him shout angrily at someone before. Riley, Lucario, and Dawn stood by the side with pitying gazes thrown at Volkner, while Pikachu and Jolteon kept Volkner's starter away.

"What is going on here?" Elite Four Flint finally snapped out of his stunned state, to step forward and try to stop Ash from killing him. Try being the keyword. He stumbled backward at the fuming glare he received from Ash. "Ash, could you tell me what's going on?" I believe Elite Four Flint tried to sound in control and professional, but with his tone being quite a few notes higher than normal, only managed to sound like a scared school girl.

"You want me to tell you what's going on?" Ash asked slowly, enunciating every word slowly, never letting go of Volkner's collar. The normally aloof Gym Leader had his eyes as big as saucers, watching Ash with trepidation and fear. "This son of Mew is giving out badges for free!"

"Oh," Elite Four Flint sighed in understanding.

"Oh?" Ash asked slowly, tilting his head to one side. The move which I normally find cute, as it makes Ash look like an adorable Eevee puppy, made me take a couple of steps away from the Fire Master. Especially, after I saw Ash throw Volkner away as if he weighed nothing. "You knew about this?"

"You need to understand, when we were young we were a team!" Elite Four Flint tried to explain, as he hastily moved backward. Not that it stopped Ash from slowly moving forwards, like a predator stalking their prey. "But when Volkner became Gym Leader, he lost interest in Gym Challenges..."

"I don't give a Tauros' crap about his soap story!" Ash snapped, eyes glowing with barely controlled aura power. "If he got tired from battling, have him quit!" I saw Volkner flinch at Ash's exclamation. Maybe not everything is lost for the Electric Master. "Yes, he is strong and you need him as a pillar for Sinnoh. But that does not mean he needs to be a Gym Leader! He is the last obstacle for those wishing to complete the Sinnoh Eight Gym Challenge, with him you can measure the level of your trainers! What he is doing is an insult to everything the League stands for and for the hard work those trainers put in!"

Poor Elite Four Flint looked ready to cry and Ash did not seem to be over. However, Gym Leader Volkner stood up and announced: "I'll battle you."

That brought Ash to a stop, he turned around to face Volkner with a raised eyebrow and a deadpanned expression. "Now you will battle me? What changed?" He asked sarcastically.

"When I became a Gym Leader, the trainers that came to challenge me were weak and did not have the will to get stronger. Many quit right after battling me. With time I lost my will to continue on this job," Volkner explained. "You are right, I should have quit a long time ago. What I'm doing is a mockery of the Sinnoh League. However, I still clung to my position, not able to let go of my childhood dreams completely. Your passion... reminded me why I am here, to begin with. So, thank you."