I Gary's P.O.V

Taking the job Professor Rowan had offered me was the best decision I've done, since deciding to become a Pokemon Professor. No matter what Gramps is saying, I did not come to Sinnoh for Ash for Ash. I did it for the incredible and once in a life time opportunity to make Mt. Coronet a Pokemon Reserve.

So, what if, when I decided to take a stroll I ended up finding him and his clique? That was just a coincidence. Blastoise stop it! Wipe that smile off your face!

I smiled wryly as the other trainer, I think his name was Alan? Alain? Not that I care to remember it. He was ecstatic about his Probopass evolving, while fighting against The Saint. I'll never get over Ash being a Pokemon Idol. But... he deserves it.

As the boy left, I called out for him: "Hey, Ashy!" My sudden greeting, which once upon a time would have startled him, now are nothing. He must have sensed me with aura... or it's his ranger training kicking in. "How are you doing?" I asked, trying to keep cool when I was faced with his beaming smile.

"Gary!" He exclaimed, skipping towards me, before hugging me. I absentmindedly noticed that Pikachu had decided to stay behind. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm working with Professor Rowan, didn't Gramps tell you?" I replied.

I think he did... but I had a lot going on back then." He said with a thoughtful and grim expression.

It was something I was told to expect more from Ash these days. On one hand, I'm very proud of him finally growing up and moving forward in his career. On the other hand, I hope this new seriousness does not take his light and cheer away.

"I've heard." I replied, my arms tightening at the reminder of another scare we (Gramps, Auntie and me) went through when Champion Lance called the Lab in Pallet Town. "Alamos Town. How many times do you need to be knighted before it becomes enough? At least, this time was a baron and not the royal family."

Ashy shook his head warningly as his new gang approached. It seems he does not want them to know about his last big adventure. At least, this time no civilian was dragged into The Chosen's fight against a Legendary. Especially, this time involving a Darkrai of all pokemon.

"Ash! Who is he?" The coordinator asked cheerful, she seems the bright and strong kind of girl.

"Hi! I'm Gary. Ashy's childhood friend and rival." I answered.

"And a professional poser," Ash added drily, looking pointedly at my "pose". "Gary these are my new friends Dawn, Piplup, Riley and Lucario."

I chuckled, punching him lightly on the shoulder, but still keeping one arm around his waist. My chuckle became slightly strain when I noticed the focused way the aura guardian was looking at my arm around Ashy. I tightened my hold around him and smirked when he frowned.

"Is that an Umbreon?!" Dawn exclaimed excitedly.

I felt Ashy tense and Pikachu's cheeks sparkle, while Dawn took out her Pokédex and pointed it at Black, as she and Princess Jolteon were greeting each other.

The Pokédex's robotic voice said: Umbreon, the Moonlight Pokémon, and an evolved form of Eevee. The rings of Umbreon's body glow faintly when exposed to the moon's aura, and it gains a mysterious power.

"Is she Jolteon's mom?" Riley asked, though I knew he was already aware of the answer when his eyes glowed slightly blue. Aura guardians can read the aura of others and tell if there is any family relation.

"Yes," Ashy, the oblivious boy he is, answered, smiling at the aura guardian, who flushed slightly.

I glowered at him but toned it down before I was caught. But by the Lucario's guarded attitude it seems like I was already caught.

"Did something crazy happen lately?" I asked him, guiding them away from Blackie and Jolteon. The last thing I need is my girl fighting Ashy's starter. That was a fight she would not win. "What am I asking, this is Ashy. There's no way a week could pass without something crazy happening."

"Jajaja, I've noticed that." Dawn laughed alongside my Blastoise, not noticing my abrupt change of topic. But the others did, though they did not call me out on it. "Recently we met a construction crew that had their project paused because a Bibarel did not want to work. It ended up being the Head Engineer's mistake! Bibarel noticed an issue with the blueprints and was trying to help them. Can you believe it? A Bibarel!"

"Stay around Ashy and those things become normal." I replied, being completely honest.

"I'm starting to see that." Dawn chuckled. "Before that, during a training battle between my Aipom and Ash's Buizel, they knocked free a sealed Spiritomb."

"Ashy you... your bad luck never changes, does it?" I shook my head in disbelief.

"Tell me about it," Ashy commented drily, with a sigh.

"What happened to the Spiritomb? Did you re-seal them?" I asked.

"What do you take me for?" Ashy screeched unimpressed, "I would never do that to a Pokemon! I caught her and sent it to Fantina as a thank-you gift for her training tips."

"That's so like you," I laughed. "What's next in you plans then?"

"We are heading to Solaceon Town for a Contest," Dawn was the one who answered, proving my point on her being strong, as even in her clear worry she tried to smile in reassurance.

This time it was Ashy who changed the topic of conversation. I later took them to the camp I'm staying at and had a sleepover with Ashy, like we used to when we were younger. However, that did not stop me from noticing the sharp and intense eyes of Riley and Lucario on me.

I did not like it one bit... but it's Ashy's life and his decisions. It's not my place to opine, right?