III Riley's P.O.V

Like every part of our journey, trying to get to Snowpoint City was an adventure. Honestly, deciding to follow Ash was the greatest decision I've made in my life, other than catching my pokemon and becoming a Blue Knight. In between being knighted and joining Ash, my life was at a standstill, Lucario and I had retreated to solitude to train and harness our aura abilities. Yet all that training led us to forget the most important duty of a Blue Knight, to aid and protect those in need. In these last few months with Ash I've helped more pokemon and people, than I've helped in all my combined time as a Blue Knight. Like a few days ago we helped a Froslass find her lost Snorunt, son. Being Ash's companion is an adventure on its own.

When we reached the windy town of Squallville, we ended up meeting with Paul, and he and Ash decided to join the PokéRinger competition. As if fate had planned it, both of them ended up facing off at the finals, which was a heated battle between Staravia and Honchkrow. One that led to the evolution of Staravia into Staraptor. However, he was not used to his new size and Honchkrow took the advantage to take the ring, which meant Ash lost and Paul won. Not that Ash and Staraptor cared much for that fact. As Ash had already won a similar competition in Hoenn and both of them were delighted with the evolution. After all, Ash had not been there for Staraptor's first evolution. This was twice as important.

However, Paul did not leave it at that and decided to join us on our journey to Snowpoint City. He wanted to finish the battle they've left in Hearthome City, he wanted his rematch and was aiming for the win this time. Which led us to a small clearing nearby our camp, ready for a battle between Ash and Paul. This time they won't be going all out in a full battle, they will only be using two pokemon each. They did not want to affect the natural territory of the pokemon living in this forest. Surprisingly, it was Paul the one who had brought out the point.

"We can always have a full six-on-six battle once we get to Snowpoint City," Paul commented, as he took out a Poke Ball.

"That we can!" Ash exclaimed as he took out a Poke Ball from a good distance from Paul, that will be enough distance for a normal battlefield.

"Are you both ready?" I asked, taking the position as the referee, while Dawn was away doing some training with her pokemon. "Begin!"

"Come out Chimchar/Ursaring!" Both Ash and Paul called out at the same time.

I noticed Paul's eyes widening seeing his old pokemon being used against him, especially since they did not part in the best ways. I, myself, was shocked by Ash's choice of pokemon. While training it was deduced that Chimchar's anger towards his old trainer was what made him lose control while in his Blaze state. Using Chimchar against Paul is like asking the forest to be burned down in carmesi flames of rage. However, I could also understand why Ash chose him, this battle could end up being cathartic for both Chimchar and Paul. A good way to move one from all the mess that their previous relationship was.

"Bulk Up! Chain it with Hammer Arm!" Paul went for the offensive, as soon as he could.

"Acrobatics, keep close!" Ash countered, keeping Chimchar at a close distance from Ursaring, always dodging the punches at the last minute in graceful acrobatic spins. "Now! Power-Up Punch!" Chimchar landed a hit on Ursaring's face, making him stumble back with a pained groan. "Flame Wheel!" It was followed by a powerful fire attack, which was powered up by Chimchar's ability Blaze.

I tensed expecting the monkey pokemon to lose control, but unlike before he stayed put and waited for Ash's next command. Chimchar was in control! Good for them!

"Focus Blast!" Paul commanded, as soon as the Flame Wheel was over, taking Chimchar by surprise and sending him flying back, and making him land on a tree behind Ash. "Slash!"

Ursaring rapidly moved forward, with a speed one would not expect of a pokemon that size. It seems that Paul was training his pokemon in other areas this time, I thought proudly. Before Ash could say anything to Chimchar, he was moving forward with a speed that exceeded Ursaring's. Both pokemon were locked in a Slash combat, exchanging attack for attack. Until Chimchar's eyes were burning red. He is about to lose control, I thought with a wince. And he did, Chimchar threw an overpowered Flamethrower at Ursaring's face, putting him down for the fight.

"Ursaring is unable to fight, Chimchar and Ash win this round!" I announced before I could ask Paul to take out his next pokemon, Chimchar began to shine. How many more pokemon will evolve in such a short period of time? I thought as I watched Ash's third pokemon evolve in only a few weeks. "Well, it seems that both of you only have one pokemon left," I commented, as I watched Ash praise his newly evolved Monferno with a smile.

"It seems like we do," Ash commented returning Monferno to his Poke Ball. "You know Paul, maybe I should battle you more often. Three fights, three evolutions. That's a record even on my chart."

"Maybe you should," Paul chuckled. Yes, he chuckled! I should text Reggie soon and share the news, I commented in my head. "Electabuzz! You are next!"

"Electabuzz... then, Princess is your time!" Ash called out for Jolteon. If I remember correctly from Dawn's stories Elekid lost to her months ago. This will be the rematch!

And what a rematch it was! I could barely follow the fight, needing to use my aura sight for aid. Iron Tail against Iron Tail, Agility vs Agility, Thunderbolt met Volt Absorb. But the light show that it was both of them being locked in a Wild Charge tackle... that took my breath away. Unfortunately, Jolteon lost that fight, giving the win to Paul.

"So, another tie..." Paul commented disappointedly, as both trainers returned their pokemon.

"You won," Ash countered. "Monferno won't be fighting and you still have Electabuzz, and if that's not enough for you. Your Honchkrow defeated my Staraptor, those are two battles against one." Ash beamed at Paul. "That's the third time I lost since I came to Sinnoh. Thank you for an amazing battle, Paul!" Paul smiled slightly at that, I could tell from his body language that he felt better even if he did not say anything. But before anyone could say anything else, Dawn burst from the trees riding her Mamoswine, with the rest of her pokemon. They looked worse for wear, with various bruises and scratches. "What the... Dawn! Are you ok? What happened?"

"We got ambushed by an Aggron!" Dawn exclaimed, making us look at her startled. An Aggron in this forest?! "His attack made us fall from a cliff, which caused Mamoswine's leg to be injured! In the commotion, I lost his Poke Ball and was unable to return him," Dawn explained as Paul helped her down and Ash started tending the injuries of Mamoswine, while I took care of the rest of her pokemon. "Good news, Mamoswine now listens to me and scared the Aggron away after his leg got better! Auch!" Dawn whined when Paul started to tend to her injuries.

"Let me guess, you and your pokemon took care of him and a bond was formed," Ash smiled tenderly at her.

"I took a page out of your book," Dawn replied cheekily.

Before I could ask what they meant by that, a light started to come from Ash's bag. Which froze us all in our place... that is...

"My egg!" Ash exclaimed, rushing towards his bag.

"Ash will finally have his bond partner," Lucario spoke, stepping beside me.

"That he will," I replied. "I can't wait to see what they'll become. If they are anything like their bonded partner... it will be very fun."

We both chuckled, as we watched the birth of a Riolu... the birth of The Chosen's bonded partner.