36.) The Young Mentor

The three sat frozen. They really were expecting a different answer.

"HUH?" The three said in sync.

"Sure." Saruto repeated and proceeded to walk across the bridge. "Come along." The three walked behind the boy in nervousness.

.

"First, I have to measure your abilities. Now, let's fight. Battle will be over when you get one hit on me." Saruto stands, balancing his weight mostly on his right leg with his left a little back. His arms and hands are open, ready to grapple anyone who comes at him.

The three don't say a word and Taichi makes the first move. Taichi is the son of the famous shinobi hero, Iwabe Yukon. Although hero to the Hidden Leaf, he wasn't powerful enough to survive the intense war that had been categorized as pending not a few weeks prior. Given the ninjutsu and taijutsu ability of his father, Taichi was powerful but not all that smart. He signs and puts his hand on the ground, making the ground push up into spikes of dirt and rock. Saruto jumps and backflips out of the area. He didn't believe he needed to "amount to special measures" so he kept things low-chakra and simple.

The land of the Fire's feudal lord admired the Konoha shinobi, Boruto Uzumaki. who was once the "out-of-the village hokage" before Saruto was born. Because of this, Tento Madoka had sent his daughter secretly to the Academy. Yuna Madoka was a weapons expert who, by the special request of her father, was trained by the legend and ninja weapons store owner, Tenten.

Yuna threw a scroll to unroll it and pushes chakra to the back of the scroll, summoning sharp silver needles to try and hit Saruto who, with one kunai and the normal sharingan, hit all the needles out of his way.

Saruto didn't bother to try and make a hit. He just wanted to dodge and observe.

The ground from behind him arises and it opens, revealing Jisedai who had been transported by Taichi's jutsu through the ground. Jisedai locked eyes with Saruto, making him freeze. Jisedai is the son of Mirai Sarutobi. Heir of the infamous clan's blood, Jisedai has the powers of the Sarutobi and the Senju clan. Much like his own mother, he had never met his father but somehow gained the incredible ability of his clan's medical powers. Jisedai mostly relied on his genjutsu powers and little on his grandfather's wind jutsus.

What made Saruto freeze was Jisedai's genjutsu.

The three smiled to each other when they thought they had stopped the powerful boy. It seemed they had forgotten what the Uchiha's kenkei genkai had been famous for many times: genjutsu. The three all run to the "frozen" Saruto to get a bold hit on the figure. Jisedai had taken his family heir wind-chakra kunai first used by his grandfather and led it in front of him, ready to hit what's coming. Taichi grabbed the stone sword formerly belonging to his father on his back and discharged it ahead of him. Finally, Yuna summons a large Windmill Shuriken and puts it in front of her. They assemble to take a hit on the boy.

All three clash into each other and fall back in different speeds. They then wake up from their genjutsu.

They stood in the same positions before Taichi even got his first hit. They had been in a genjutsu all this time and they hadn't noticed.

"I see." Saruto says, deactivating his sharingan. He never wanted to do anything physical so he just decided to test them in an alternative way.

Saruto turns and catches some water from the waterfall behind him. He sips some water from the palm of his hand to pause for some tension.

"Now, shall we start training?"

———

What came afterward went from weeks to months of training with these kids.

Taichi Yuino, once a below-average academic learner with an above average shinobi level became a smart and cunning shinobi using many Earth chakra-based jutsus, very efficient taijutsu tactics and water chakra-based jutsus he had gotten from his mother.

Yuna Madoka, a very skilled weapons kunoichi was now taught how to utilize her enclosed chakra, something other mentors couldn't do since she didn't come from a family of shinobi but from a family protected by shinobi. She learned that she had fire based chakra and Saruto had helped the girl with the category he was very familiar with due to his clan.

Jisedai, once a smart boy who only really depended on his weak genjutsu ability and strong medical powers became a confident and strong wind and lightning user.

All three had undoubtedly grown into a much more powerful and dedicated group of young shinobi.

On the last day of training before the chunin exams, Saruto decided to test them with an old and efficient method with the purpose of analyzing ability and scaling teamwork.

"This is an old tactic that shinobis stopped using around the time of sixth Hokage due to its outdated methods. Instead of two bells, I will be using one. If you guys manage to get it off of me, you'll show me you're ready."

The three take their battle stance and prepare to beat their mentor.

———

Boruto yawns and gets out of his chair next to the hokage's desk. Since the officials decided that his wife would take the Hokage's chair, he had certainly been busy.

He decided to eat and headed out of the office. Before his feet walked to good however, he noticed an energetic and friendly sort of chakra in the air. He followed it.

He found himself in the forest across the bridge he fought the chunin, Mirai Sarutobi, to reach his father and attempt to change teams from his true enemy at the time.

What he found surprised him and made him smile.